Why Rigid?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Why Rigid?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Why Rigid?

I have ridden many bikes with and without suspension. However, OVERALL I prefer a bike with front suspension. What gives with the infatuation with no front suspension fork?

I know there is the simplicity and weight gain but do these outweigh the benefits?

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    going up fast is harder than going down fast. rigid makes it easier.

mtbr member
    Hm, the accuracy is quite addicting. Yeah, I get shaken pretty badly if I roll over every bump. But there are times that I need to pick up my front wheel and place it somewhere and it's incredible how accurate it is without having to eat up the sag travel first.

It's a different riding style and I have to admit the 29-er wheels help immensely to do damage control on how much punishment is emmitted through the bars.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefrog34
    I know there is the simplicity and weight gain but do these outweigh the benefits?
    Only if that is your preference. It depends what you want to get out of your rides and what parts of riding you enjoy the most. Like you said, you prefer suspension. Some prefer rigid.

There are lots of reasons people will throw out, but in the end it isn't any more complicated than the fact that they like those reasons better than the equally viable reasons to use suspension.

Personally I like switching between both

Freezer
    Change is good. Ride the same setup for 10 or 20 years, and believe me, you'll be ready for something different.

Out spokin'
    I ride rigid in the winter for several reasons.

[] I tend to ride slower generally
    [] Mud is softer
    [] Suspension components are expensive and WEsTern Oregon winters are hard on them
    [] In it's own way, riding rigid really is fun. A fork that doesn't dive when I ride a log over is more predictable, etc.

But in the summer, when both speeds and the epicness of rides increase... I'm rockin' the squish.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Wink

Rigid is simplicity....Simplicity is the ultimate technology.
    My buddies used to ask why I ride rigid. I really didn't know what to say other than being simple. Then one day out on the trail, one of my buddies bikes blew a fork seal. They don't heckle me any more about riding rigid.

mtbr member
    I wanted to switch to disc brakes. I hate the shock I got. Most new shocks move way too much for my taste. I am more old school where they only move when you need them too. I don't need a lot of travel anyway.

I never thought I would like it, but I love it. Yea it can shake me up on some stuff, but it is not too bad.

There are pros and cons with everything. Just like SS and gears. I just weighed the two and picked the pros that I preferred.

I get a lot of funny looks and head shakes from people I ride with. Then I get more of the same when I drop them on the down hills. Those usually follow with How the H...? or WTF?

I pick the bike that makes me smile the most when I ride. That usually is my rigid SS.
    I do still use the FS when I head to the big places like Pisgah, but that is more because of condition.

mtbr member
    People told me that once I went rigid SS I would sell all my geared or suspension rigs.

Not the case. Love riding the rigid SS. So much fun. However, not the best tool for every job. Just some.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    When I started riding, rigid was still quite common; probably 50% of the bikes were still rigid, so that's where I started.
    I like that the front end geometry doesn't change when you are cornering hard on a rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefrog34
    I have ridden many bikes with and without suspension. However, OVERALL I prefer a bike with front suspension. What gives with the infatuation with no front suspension fork?

After a season of fighting gear and bike problems on my Epic 26r, I was infatuated with the simplicity of SS Rigid.

This next season, I will probably ride my new Rigid SS about 90% of the time. I will be going on some epic multiday trips, and I will need gears and squish for those, so I will do minimal training on the Epic and use it for those trips.

mtbr member
    Also, to parrot what others said already ... the accuracy and predictability is addictive. You always know exactly where the bike is and how it will behave. Now, if I can just get my weight back, grip relaxed, and line picked a little sooner ... the rock gardens will be more tolerable.

Around here, and on most xcountry mountain bike rides I have ever been on:

75% of the time is spent climbing ... +1 Rigid
    20% of the time is non-tech downhill ... +1 Rigid
    5% of time on technical downhill ... +1 Squish

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Ummm, try it and ride what you like. There are no rational reasons for choosing one or the other. People always make these sorts of choices irrationally. After they decide they then try to rationalize their decision. If you try to attribute rational behavior to Humans you'll always be puzzled by their choices. We're all by nature irrational...... except for me!

bruce b.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Rigid singlespeeds are more *pure*. How's that if you want a reason?
    bruce b.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    People told me that once I went rigid SS I would sell all my geared or suspension rigs.

Not the case. Love riding the rigid SS. So much fun. However, not the best tool for every job. Just some.
    same for me.
    i still have 2 fs geared bikes i ride almost as much as i ride my ss rigid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm too stupid to ride squish, so I ride rigid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    SS and Rigid go hand in hand. SS riding = lots of out of the saddle time. Squishy rides suck both mental and physical energy. Although there are a few times that my shoulders feel like they might snap, rigid is the way to go. Tires seem to make a big difference.

mtbr member
    It's fun. I just prefer it. Suspension is nice for sure, but the feel of riding a rigid bike is awesome.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    It's fun. I just prefer it. Suspension is nice for sure, but the feel of riding a rigid bike is awesome.
    Gears and Shocks are like antidepressants and mood stabilizers. It was fun while I was on em but I seemed to be missing something.

dwt
    mtbr member
    My other ride is a dualie (Intense Spider XVP), so when I ride my SS I'm looking for a competely different feel. The rigid fork is better for climbing and reminds me to pay attention to picking a line, up, down, and flat.

I switched to tubeless on both bikes this season (result of too many pinch flats on a trip to Moab) and riding below 30 psi significantly softens the ride with rigid forks. Highly recommended.

P.S. My SS frame is close to 10 years old, is a 26, and I'm sticking to it. I don't get 29. Call me Old School.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Gears and Shocks are like antidepressants and mood stabilizers. It was fun while I was on em but I seemed to be missing something.

This might be my new signature.

Says it all.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    I have a geared front suspension 26er, and a rigid 29er SS.

They're two totally different rides.

As others have said, you pick your lines a lot better when riding rigid, climbing is easier (for me), there is no energy lost in bouncing up and down...you just go forward.

I love my geared...great bike, and I ride it often just to mix it up.

But I'm in love with my 29er SS rigid. Everything is just simple.

Riding the geared is SO much easier after having ridden the SS.

1 year ago, I thought big wheeled, steel, rigid, SS people were crazy...

No...they just want to ride, have fun, worry less about the bike, and feel like their 5 again.

Maybe a little crazy...but not much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I also have two bikes: A geared 26" front suspension bike and a single speed 29" rigid. My main bike and race bike is the SS rigid. I like the way I climb on it. I ride the geared bike as a change of pace and for epic long rides.

The weird thing is I can't decide which bike I'm faster on. For most of the trails that I ride I'm probably faster on my SS rigid which is why I race that bike.

you do this at my size
    Cause that's what the ladies like.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

Rocket Boy
    Depends on where you're riding too. On particular place has killer singletrack and it's pretty flat and smooth. There's really no need for suspension. The flatness of the trails are conducive to 1X1 as well.

Arby

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arby
    Depends on where you're riding too. On particular place has killer singletrack and it's pretty flat and smooth. There's really no need for suspension. The flatness of the trails are conducive to 1X1 as well.

Arby
    I would have to say that most people that ride rigid do not need the trail to be flat and smooth before they use a rigid fork.

Just ask Dicky

Rocket Boy

Rock on

Oh, I agree. I also ride the baby-head strewn trails of Blue Mountain Reservation just north of the city:

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

It helped my Full-sus riding

Riding the tractor was a joy going from a hardtail bike to a fully rigid SS bike. The front end is accurate and tracks well, but the 5" travel Jamis was also fun in it's own right. I also enjoyed running 2.7" tires at lower pressures and liked the added traction, and it killed a bit of the ride harshness. Over all it is a tool that I use for riding. Now it is all road bike right now since I have yet to find any good trails here on Oahu to ride, and I have been sick long-term as well.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tractor
    ... and I have been sick long-term as well.

Rob
    Long term sick, Rob? What's going on? Hope you're doing okay.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Depends where you ride and how you like to ride.

I'm not a heroic downhiller so rigid is fine for me and I like climbing.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Deployment issue

Sparty,
    For the last 15months I have been dealing with a lung injury (mechanical fiberglass inhalation) from an incident in-flight last September (I had a second incident in March of the same thing, a hatch coming out in flight). I was seen by a lung doc and have chronic bronchitis and reactive airway disease, it was light and I have had no real issues until I got here (Hawaii) and the flying and different places I go have aggravated it again, right now I am really sick (coughing allot). Going to the doc today again. I've been riding road on base allot for my daily excercise, but not right now. I'll keep you posted. I just count my lucky stars that the hatch coming out in Iraq was not worse than what is was, or I might not be typing this.

Rob

PS-srry for the post side track
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Out spokin'
    Dang... good luck with that.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Master Gardener
    Personally, I don't prefer the ride of my rigid fork (except when climbing out of the saddle), but I just got sick of servicing suspension forks.

People look at me funny when I say that, then a month later they mention, "Oh yeah, I had to send my fork back to White Bros. to have the seals replaced" or "I had my fork apart last night and..."

mtbr member
    For me, I developed the majority of my muscle memory from a very young age on a rigid bike. BMX bikes, geared 26" rigid....etc.
    So, for that reason, my mind and body know how to react better with a rigid bike than with a suspension. I feel retarded on a suspension bike, like bottoming out in corners, squats while peddling, bouncing....there's just too much that feels akward. There's a good chance I never gave them a chance and dialed them in for me, but I enjoy the simplicity and lack of maintenance as well.
    Oh...I don't own a cell phone either.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    When i ride my squishy ( once in last two years), it feels too easy and like i'm cheating. Go with a rigid hardtail. But it's got to be light and fast , ZOOM, ZOOM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I work on cars all day, the last thing i want to do when i come home is work on my bike. I just ride and wash it.

And sine were talking rigid, ill give a mini review of my new White Bros carbon rigid fork.

Simply put, its amazing. Its super light. When mashing the pedals with everything i have from a stand still to full speed the front tire will come off of the ground several times, like a motorcycle kinda. On the trail, i can easily pick it up and place it wherever i want without getting off the seat with ease and muuuuuuch less effort than the stock rigid fork. The axle to crown measurement is 5mm longer than stock so i expected a bit slower steering. Turns out i was wrong, its at a perfect spot between being twitchy and floppy. The best feeling would be slowing down more that id like for a sharp turn, then give the bars a tug just after your past the halfway point, pull the wheel off the dirt while you lean into the turn and do this crazy wheelie turning thing. It looks and feels badass. Couldnt do it on the steel fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0