Why ride with gears?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why ride with gears?

Why do you still have a geared bike?

Speed?

Climbs?

Variety?

I thought I was keeping mine for the long epics, but I'm starting to wonder.

rebmem rbtm
    I'll let you know in about 6 months when I put mine back together and try it again. Otherwise it is just sitting there.

mtbr member
    Because I need something easier on the back muscle that I pulled climbing a steep hill on the SS. : (

I miss SSing. Gotta let the back heal though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Variety.

I have an SS, Geared HT and Geared FS, I rotate each bike every ride. I guess I am weird.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz_duner View Post
    Because I need something easier on the back muscle that I pulled climbing a steep hill on the SS. : (

I miss SSing. Gotta let the back heal though.
    Bump on this. I find myself riding less because my local trail right down the street is a 24% grade. Anything besides that gnarly climb though it really makes no sense to ride anything besides my SS. My back is what prevents me from huffing it up it. I am riding a 29er with a 32x20. I guess I should swap it out to a 32x21 but then its too slow for the rest of the ride. My only disappointment is around my parts the trails vary way too much and I find my times actually way slower because I top out my gearing all the time. Huffing it up that 24% grade has put me in too good of shape for the rest of the trails around my parts. If I wanna ride my SS I can only take it certain places unless I change the rear cog. I bought a geared bike again because my SS just isn't doing it for me as an overall workout tool unless I stick to only a few select trails. It's limited me.

mtbr member
    ^^ This
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    Why do you still have a geared bike?
    Versatility.

Plus, SS does not work so hot with a 5.5" FS for me.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cause any time I ride new dirt not knowing what too expect I like options, once I've seen a trail I can decide from there.

Dive Bomber
    I sold all my gears stuffs for a roller and a pair of cheapo slick tire wheelsets.

I don't think gears will make me stronger but training will certainly makes me stronger even if it's only one ratio. I want t be strong not to be fast - strong enough to work with 3D 8-12 hours a day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If for some reasons it is difficult to maintain the momentum, then gears become really helpful. When I am towing my kids it's really hard to quickly gain enough speed to make it to the top of that hill, the trailer really makes things slow and easy to loose the momentum.

And then the geared riders need to understand the way you ride and let you gain the needed velocity before the climb. I literally have to shout sometimes to make my buddies let me pass. If they slow down too much in the beginning of the climb (and the usually do) then I'm in trouble and need to get off the bike or abuse my knees.

For me SSing is the most fun when I am riding alone with as little camping gear as possible (i am mostly touring). Going in a group and/or with heavy load makes me thinking of gears..

mtbr member
    I have two single speeds. One set up for more spinning/recovery rides @ 24x22 and my main ride @ 32x20.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I hate gears because I have nothing but issues with them. Generally chain related, but cassettes and I don't get along too well either.

I'm currently pretty out of shape, and the guys I ride with aren't. I do a pretty good job at keeping up through the twisty sections, but when we hit the long flat parts of the trail I just can't keep my speed on my SS.

Gears help in those situations, but at the moment I'm being a stick in the mud about it. I really like not having to worry about broken chains$, cogs$$ and derailleurs$$$. Ultimately, I get a better workout when I'm out of shape by chasing my racer-boy friends if I've got gears. I can push harder for longer. I enjoy SS a lot more though.

psycho cyclo addict
    I like having gears for:

Long rides with major climbs that would not be feasible on SS for the entire ride for example: a 20t required for half of it and not for the other half.

Urban assaults where I encounter high speed pavement and dirt plus long climbs on the same ride.

For extremely technical rides where FS is the only option for my old spine.

I ride 32x17 SS ~ 1/3rd of the time for:

Better workout when riding w/ my GF
    Many of the trails in my area where long & steep climbs aren't part of the ride
    Mix it up on the 10+ mi work commute

mtbr member
    My other bike is a 1x9 all mountain (Santa Cruz Butcher) that I like for long rides. Some of the rides around here have long (5+ mile) climbs with fun downhill sections - more fun with gears and suspension and less painful in the long run.

The SS I ride for shorter (up to 3 hour) rides on the smoother more flowy trails. It is fun in its own way and has helped my fitness and technique so I stick with it.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    until I got the Pugsley, it was all SS. Then - Pugsley, being the bear of a bike that it is, I had to slap some gears.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by jsqueri View Post
    Why do you still have a geared bike? .
    Quite an assumption on your part.

I just ordered some CHUM green grips for my sled. That along with an affinity for IPA's brewed far from my own zip code leaves little room (or patience) for jockey wheels.

mtbr member
    I have never had a geared mountain bike, just three variations on a SS rigid mountain bike. my road bike, which I mostly use to ride to work, has gears though. gears=practical. SS= fun.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Ran out of challenges racing my Singlespeed.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quite an assumption on your part.

I just ordered some CHUM green grips for my sled. That along with an affinity for IPA's brewed far from my own zip code leaves little room (or patience) for jockey wheels.
    So is there a point at the end of those long beer runs when you're wishing for a lower gear to get uphill or a higher one to roll faster on the flats?

Members who have read this thread: 0