Why is retro cool?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why is retro cool?

Why? ever since the mid 90's, bikes from there were retro, and to this day, I think they are just cool. I am always looking for that next retro build...

Just why are they cool?

Discuss...

mtbr member
    Because there's not much of a weight penalty and you can pick them up and build them on the cheap.

Or because its something that we all see value in but other people see as garbage?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think a lot of people got into mountain biking in the mid 90's (seems like that is the era when it really started to get popular/trendy)and everyone remembers their first bike and many people wish they still had their first bike.
    Whenever i see my gary fisher hoo koo e koo with the yellow/orange/black paint job it puts a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Why? ever since the mid 90's, bikes from there were retro, and to this day, I think they are just cool. I am always looking for that next retro build...

Just why are they cool?

Discuss...

mtbr member
    There's too much stuff on modern mountainbikes and too many people thinking the latest carbonium gadget/gizmo will get them up/down that mountain faster.

Retro is for those who know different.

And it's cheaper
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    I think a lot of people got into mountain biking in the mid 90's (seems like that is the era when it really started to get popular/trendy)and everyone remembers their first bike and many people wish they still had their first bike.
    Whenever i see my gary fisher hoo koo e koo with the yellow/orange/black paint job it puts a smile on my face
    I think this is it for me. I still have my GT from '96 and commute daily on it. I could *never* part with that bike. It was my first vehicle when I moved to the US. It provided therapy for me during some difficult times and it has taken me to some great places, I have a lot of good memories associated with it. It really is a heavy clunker and is 100% bling-free (but hey the parts all still work after 10 years of heavy use and neglect!) It's not a singlespeed though :| (ducking )

Self-defeatist
    Bikes were just plain better when they were made of vinyl. You could hold them in your hands. Nowadays they're just printable geometry charts. How 'm I supposed to ride a PDF?
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ... takes us back to simpler times!

mtbr member
    I think it's cool because it's still viable. still have my first and I rip singletrack with it most days.

Why is retro cool?-img_2053.jpg

Why is retro cool?-img_2049.jpg

Ovaries on the Outside
    Because they can help an man feel like Grant Peterson, if only for a day.

Also, one must remember the formula; SS+retro/vintage=huge nads. Divide by waterbottle cages.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    (Grump Old Man voice)

Retro is cool because back in my day we didn't have these fancy Hydraulic disc brake 150mm suspended oil leaking extra bearing pivot squeaking bi-sickles. Noooo. If we wanted to go fast we took a beating from the trail, and our forearms would get cramps from the downhill death grip. Our backsides got to feel the trail too. Now its all soft and mushy and if something breaks we get all whiney.

I like to ride bikes!
    They are cool because Ernesto says so.

New River Scorcher
    Jul 2007
    I like the geometry and the thin 4130 steel tubes used to build most 80's/90's mtbs. Still have my 93 Giant Rincon, though now its wall art. It got backed over by a truck at a party in '05, sad for sure. It also was my first SS in '96 when I busted the drive train and noticing the horizontal drops and still fully involved in BMX, I put 2 and 2 together. Used it through high school/college as a commuter/light trail bike, loved it.

-Craig

I like turtles
    My prostate was the size of a basketball for most of the 90s....
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Because those of us who ride "retro" bikes don't care what is cool

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo
    My prostate was the size of a basketball for most of the 90s....
    You obviously didn't have an o2 air 40 ti! First upgrade I ever made.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010

My theory:

You realize, after spending tons of money on lots of NEW stuff that it doesn't make it more fun.

You can have just as much fun on the older stuff and, at least for me, it reminds me of a time when I was a lot younger and life was more care free.

I can go faster on my bikes today but I doubt that it's any more fun. In fact, it would be super cool to have my 1990 Giant back for some slower, exploratory rides. Back then, there weren't a lot of trails. I rode motorcycle trails as that was what I was used to riding. But, we also explored a lot of stuff that we couldn't on our motorcycles.

Ahh, the good old days

mtbr member

My theory....

I think that some of the current Retro designs are, to me, very pleasing to the eye and they function as well in most cases as the leading edge stuff.
    I am retro myself (57) and I do appreciate the a advances in technology, but if you are a bike fan and historian, there isn't anything new really; its all been done before by someone.
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    simple.....retro = proven combo of style and function....

duh.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Some of my retro singlespeeds

mtbr member
    aesthetics.

skinny tubes. lugs! horizontal top tube.

Really I am that slow
    cuz chuck norris would ride a retro, vintage single speed
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

(was) Big in Japan

because

your Mom's retro.

Move along folks. Nothing to see here.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Post up more of your retro bike pictures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Kaiser, that polished cdale is stunning!!
    ringle stem, syncros post and hardcore bars, cook bros cranks, kooka lever one one side, looks like altek on the other?
    love it!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    your Mom's retro.
    my mom's not retro... she's old and busted and gets lost easily.
    being old does NOT make a bike retro, pedigree is everything, whether it be a pedigree you bestowed by MAKING the bike the best thing possible, or whether it happened to be Joe Breeze's personal ride that you blagged...

geez, i sound like one of the VRC guys! shutting up now.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i think retro bikes are cool because there was a time when they were knew and i was lusting for em and couldn't justify the cash....

now that i CAN justify the cash, they're either not available or there's something else to pay for...

round and round it goes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    everyone looks back on life and remembers....
    being a kid, your dads truck, old tv shows, the music that was popular when you were in high school, your first bike, and the bike you wished was your first bike, etc.

we are all holding on to those fond memories and images. Retro bikes remind us.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    my mom's not retro... she's old and busted and gets lost easily.
    being old does NOT make a bike retro, pedigree is everything, whether it be a pedigree you bestowed by MAKING the bike the best thing possible, or whether it happened to be Joe Breeze's personal ride that you blagged...

geez, i sound like one of the VRC guys! shutting up now.
    No, pre-VCR..more like Super 8! Wait..how do I know about that format? Where's my cane..and you damn kids get off my lawn!
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member

Retro IS cool indeed

In addition to my new Karate Monkey SS build. I own a 1984 Batavus road bike. It's all Campy and rides like butter. I also have an old GT Talera in mint condition, canti's and an
    1 1/8" threaded fork. And I just finished a total restore on a 1971 Raleigh 3 speed for my wife. I work at a LBS and I always take my time on all the retro ride tune ups that come in at the beginning of the season. All the old Specialized, GT's, and Bridgestones, etc. After I do the tune up, I'll take 'em out for extra long test rides. I'm lucky, I get to ride alot of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    just don't wear trucker hats and jeans that are too tight cus i'll have to smack you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dms1818
    In addition to my new Karate Monkey SS build. I own a 1984 Batavus road bike. It's all Campy and rides like butter. I also have an old GT Talera in mint condition, canti's and an
    1 1/8" threaded fork. And I just finished a total restore on a 1971 Raleigh 3 speed for my wife. I work at a LBS and I always take my time on all the retro ride tune ups that come in at the beginning of the season. All the old Specialized, GT's, and Bridgestones, etc. After I do the tune up, I'll take 'em out for extra long test rides. I'm lucky, I get to ride alot of them.
    I'd like to see some pictures of that talera. That was my first "mountain bike." commuted on it forever and wore the piss out of it. sold it for $30 totally junked. loved that bike.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    I'd like to see some pictures of that talera. That was my first "mountain bike." commuted on it forever and wore the piss out of it. sold it for $30 totally junked. loved that bike.
    Those frames are bombproof. Hopefully it's still out there, with any luck as a Single Speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser2
    Some of my retro singlespeeds

Nice Cannondale, is it Chromed? M700 or M900? I have a 92 M700 that I'm converting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Retro is cool because of the crazy paint jobs.
    here is my 1989 gt timberland set up as a dingle speed... sorry guys
    I have to commute on this bike too

Members who have read this thread: 0