Why not get the Air 9...let me count the ways...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why not get the Air 9...let me count the ways...

After waffling for 2 months on which bike to purchase, I set out to build a One9 SS However, I was lurking around here and stumbled across the Tang Air9; IMO - WOW!

What to do? I am hoping to run a few races next year (would hope to place mid-pack), running mostly single track, not much rock, with some decent hills, and generally ride ~ 50 miles a week on the trails.

The question: Is it worth the extra cash (after MSRP is released) to purchase a carbon frame over the One9 for someone who plans to mostly ride the carbon as a weekend warrior (and a few weekdays).

I am reading about a lot of issues with the Fly and would image Niner is going to have some of the same issues to work through as they scale up production.

Is it worth the jump
    Last edited by abp689; 10-13-2009 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ran a Tang Air9 with a tensioner on it for awhile. I had planned on doing an ecentric hub, but went with a different frame.
    Why not a SIR9? EBB is nice. Good lookin' frame, too. No reason you couldn't build an AIR9/ONE9 up as light as you could a carbon frame. Scandium is pretty damn light. I don't know man, I'm not much of a weight weenie, so carbon has never really crossed my mind.. Hardtail wise, I'd take a steel frame over anything.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abp689
    After waffling for 2 months on which bike to purchase, I set out to build a One9 SS However, I was lurking around here and stumbled across the Tang Air9; IMO - WOW!

What to do? I am hoping to run a few races next year (would hope to place mid-pack), running mostly single track, not much rock, with some decent hills, and generally ride ~ 50 miles a week on the trails.

The question: Is it worth the extra cash (after MSRP is released) to purchase a carbon frame over the One9 for someone who plans to mostly ride the carbon as a weekend warrior (and a few weekdays).

I am reading about a lot of issues with the Fly and would image Niner is going to have some of the same issues to work through as they scale up production.

Is it worth the jump
    If I had the coin to set up a new ride for the 2010 season I'd be taking a very serious look at the AIR 9 carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    how much is the air 9 going to run for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11
    I think that is the million dollar question right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11
    A couple of threads stated bike shops have been told to announcre $2000 for the frame. I would guess that you tell the kids $2K and come in below that mark at $1500 (underpromise/overdeliver). It would be great if they gave you a combo deal on the frame and fork!

So we are probably looking at $800 for a One9 and maybe $1500 for the Air 9.

More bike than I need, but man is it good looking; plus we have the taper headtube...

Just not sure if I should make the jump.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is that $1500 a guess on your part?

I "think" the Superfly combo with a Fox fork has a $1600 MSRP, but I read that here and I am not sure if that is really the price or not.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

I have red hair
    dude, you should just stick with your instincts and go with the Selma. Carbon/scandium frame = best of both worlds , plus you can run it rigid (good luck finding a rigid fork with a tapered headtube) (or does Niner's carbon fork come with that option...)
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

I have red hair
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen
    (good luck finding a rigid fork with a tapered headtube) (or does Niner's carbon fork come with that option...)
    Ok just kidding, I just saw the gigantor ad at the top of the page that says: Niner AIR9 Carbon/Carbon fork: the lightest combo ever!! so I guess that means it works...

regardless, a tapered headtube I'm sure is great, but you are limited right now to what you can run as far as a fork... what happens if you don't like rigid?? again, if you want to go that route, wait it out until they improve the frame/more forks become available

mtbr member
    dude, you should just stick with your instincts and go with the Selma. Carbon/scandium frame = best of both worlds , plus you can run it rigid (good luck finding a rigid fork with a tapered headtube) (or does Niner's carbon fork come with that option...)
    Ahh Red/Green I was hoping you were not going to see this post. I know, I know. I have been waffling back and forth more than a little girl at a shoe carnival.

I actually went to the LBS to start the Selma build; and a few of the local boys unanimously steered me to the Niner. So I set-up a build list on the One9/fork to get a price on the build. Then I saw the Air She is beautiful!

Seriously though man - what the hell is wrong me?

Stayin' Puft

Seriously though man - what the hell is wrong me?
    You apparently have a lot of money and are looking at production frames with EBBs. Well, you asked...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok just kidding, I just saw the gigantor ad at the top of the page that says: Niner AIR9 Carbon/Carbon fork: the lightest combo ever!! so I guess that means it works...

regardless, a tapered headtube I'm sure is great, but you are limited right now to what you can run as far as a fork... what happens if you don't like rigid?? again, if you want to go that route, wait it out until they improve the frame/more forks become available
    You could run any 1 1/8" fork in the world that you wanted with any kind of a reducing lower cup for the headset... just like the loads of dh/fr bikes built with a 1.5" head tube and 1 1/8" forks.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    IMHO i think carbon fiber is overkill if you really are a weekend warrior. I'm not fast by any means but i do ride a lot and when i pass a carbon fiber bike i always think what a waste of money she deserves more riding time
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krismac
    IMHO i think carbon fiber is overkill if you really are a weekend warrior. I'm not fast by any means but i do ride a lot and when i pass a carbon fiber bike i always think what a waste of money she deserves more riding time
    I would agree with that partially. I am never going to stand on the podium with the limited about of time my wife lets me out of the house (and probably would not if I had full access).

For me, it's all about the personal experience and PB. If the carbon provided a more enjoyable ride, that is the price of admission for me. If there is not much advantage over the One9, than that is a different story.

That being said, if someone passes me on a carbon/ Aluminum / Ti / or whatever; I am going to make sure they earn it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    You apparently have a lot of money and are looking at production frames with EBBs. Well, you asked...
    Nah, those are descriptors. Many more issues than that; but thanks for keeping it kind

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    I would agree with that partially. I am never going to stand on the podium with the limited about of time my wife lets me out of the house (and probably would not if I had full access).

For me, it's all about the personal experience and PB. If the carbon provided a more enjoyable ride, that is the price of admission for me. If there is not much advantage over the One9, than that is a different story.

That being said, if someone passes me on a carbon/ Aluminum / Ti / or whatever; I am going to make sure they earn it
    for making'em work for it! But i would think aluminum or ti would have a little longer life span..i'd go ti and keep that bike for YEARS esp. with a limited riding time it'd be good as new 7 yrs from now
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

I have red hair
    personally, I'd go with the Niner as well, but the reason we talked about the Selma last summer was because earlier in the year, they were pretty much unavailable (ordered in April, received in August), whereas the Selma was in-stock ready to ship. Ask Steve or Ted to check on the wait time from Niner and see what they say, and if you can wait that long, go for the Niner. However, if you want something a little more unique (and purple-er) go for the Selma. You'd probably get the Selma sooner, and I think you'd be presently surprised at how it rides - they are damn nice! The Niner doesn't by any means blow the Selma out of the water, and just remember - it's not the bike that makes the rider go fast...

Members who have read this thread: 0