Why not?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Why not?

mtbr member

Why not?

Well I got (back) into mountain bikes just a few years ago, trying to get back into shape (haha) and feeling better after quitting smoking.

I picked up a used Gaint Reign XL and fell back in love with being on a bike.

After a year I upgraded to a LiteVille 301 29er with 160 travel front and rear. This is my true love I waited for all my life.

I sold the giant to a friend and picked up a 2015 Transition TA frame. Used all my spare parts to build it with 11 speed.

I was always good at pushing the pedals. Most say it's because I am to dumb to know when to stop. But it has to do with helping my father with his tree service all my life. Hauling logs and dragging brush up hills, getting payed by the job.

So after a week of traveling to different locations in PA to ride everything from flow to DH I found myself laying awake between jobs when I should be napping.

All I could think of was Single Speed. And had no idea why. So I pulled the trigger and ordered a gusset double six kit for my un-used 10spd hub.

After my next ride over Beers I mentioned to my friends I ordered SS parts. They all just looked at me and asked "Why?" The only reply I had was "why not?" I notice this is a common answer now.

So with my 30t x 16t setup I feel unstoppable. Blowing away all my times on the mild trails I hit between jobs. Every ride is better than the last. I'm starting to go further (as time allows) and hit harder trails and still feel great. Next week I plan on swapping to 32t up front.

As I was creeping around in the SS section I noticed the same thing over and over. WHY NOT?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Exactly.. why not?? I use the same answer. I absolutely love my SS. I have no problem keeping up with my geared friends on the trails. Only, I have way less maintenance when the day is over Time for more beer!

Wanna ride bikes?
    awesome, welcome to the dark side.

next thing you know you'll ditch the suspension fork for a rigid one. and when your friends ask why.....
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice work!

I am in the same boat. I picked up a Karate Monkey for a song and slapped some fat rubber on it, saddle of choice, and a White Ind trials freewheel, and am loving it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    In late '07 or early '08, I decided to see what the SS attraction was. I thought, "if I don't like it, it will be a waste of money", so I went cheap. I bought a 26" Motobecane Outcast from an Ebay retailer, delivered to my door for $329. I figured that was cheap enough to give it a try. It came with a 44-16, so it was obviously meant for flats, not mountain. I changed the front ring to a 34, because that was all my LBS had in stock and took it out. It was hard, but there was something oddly satisfying about it. I rode it again and it was easier (or I went faster). Rode it for a year and decided that it needed a front shock. I upgraded my Superlight and put the SID on the Motobecane. I kept riding and riding and riding. Pretty soon, the geared full suspension just stayed on the wall.

I have since built a better (MUCH!) bike and almost never ride geared anymore. The SS is still more satisfying.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member

Why not?

I am loving it more and more. I don't think my Geared FS will ever get dusty. But I ride my hardtail a ton more than I would when it was geared. I can't see it going back to 11spd unless I felt I needed gears for snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just got my first SS after not riding for a few years. The first few days were a bit tricky getting acclimated to the trails and my poor lungs of course, but the bike was immediately like seeing an old friend. Maybe two phantom shifts and lots of walking the first week. Now I just see it as the perfect bike. And it's rigid! And it's a 650B. Lovin' it.

Thanks to you guys and your feedback-

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWhiteCD View Post
    Just got my first SS after not riding for a few years. The first few days were a bit tricky getting acclimated to the trails and my poor lungs of course, but the bike was immediately like seeing an old friend. Maybe two phantom shifts and lots of walking the first week. Now I just see it as the perfect bike. And it's rigid! And it's a 650B. Lovin' it.

Thanks to you guys and your feedback-
    How did you get a "phantom shift" on an SS? That's typically a phenomenon unique to geared bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's like people who have lost limbs say they can feel it though it's not there anymore. I just shifted the air and/or brake lever...

I sometimes push the "clutch" in on my automatic pickup truck after driving my car for the weekend.- Phantom shifting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Nice work!

I am in the same boat. I picked up a Karate Monkey for a song and slapped some fat rubber on it, saddle of choice, and a White Ind trials freewheel, and am loving it.
    I am about to do the same. How fat is the rubber? There are pics online of 27.5+ that fit.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just don't "almost" give in like I did. I love SS and one day not long ago I had a bad day and worse ride with some geared guys and after that I almost went to the dark side. But I didn't and am so damn glad. Welcome aboard.

Moderator Moderator
    My theory about this has always been that there is some significant portion of your attention you have to devote to shifting, and when to shift, and problems with your shifter/derailleur/etc. On a singlespeed, that part of your brain is just having fun instead. So you might or might not be objectively faster/shredding more gnar/whatever, but you're having way more fun doing it because you aren't thinking about any of that stuff.

That said, I have geared bikes too. I'm old and weak and some days it's just not going to happen!

-Walt

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    Just don't "almost" give in like I did. I love SS and one day not long ago I had a bad day and worse ride with some geared guys and after that I almost went to the dark side. But I didn't and am so damn glad. Welcome aboard.

no no, you got that backwards. you are on the dark side, and there's no escape.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    no no, you got that backwards. you are on the dark side, and there's no escape.
    Yea yea lol. I couldn't remember which way was out and which way was in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWhiteCD View Post
    I sometimes push the "clutch" in on my automatic pickup truck after driving my car for the weekend.- Phantom shifting.
    HaHa. I don't know how many times I hop in my truck and almost put my foot through the floor.

I went to try to shift my SS a few times first ride. Now I find myself riding my FS geared more like my SS. Getting speed up for hills and not shifting as much. I love both bikes. As long as I'm riding on dirt I feel I'm part of the Dark Side.

mtbr member
    I started with Why as when I was looking for a new steed all the hardtails in my price range were 3x9 or 3x10 with crappy forks. The more I considered how I rode I too thought, why not? I always hated the maintenance on gears and cheap forks bouncing my fat arse around so I went for it. So glad I did, I love my rigid SS Genesis, an absolute revelation to riding. I also just converted my commuter roadie to SS aswell.

Members who have read this thread: 0