mtbr member

Why I'm convinced I need to ride a single speed

First off, I've never ridden a single speed mountain bike in my life. Not even a friend's or a demo at a bike shop. Yet I'm convinced I need to ride a SS because spinning away on hills doesn't even make me break a sweat anymore. I'll clear 1,200 feet in under 20 minutes and have to go back down and do it 2 more times before I'm ready to go home. I figure riding a SS will get me more fitness in a shorter period of time. I'm running short on time these days and it's becoming hard to do a 2-3 hour ride every day. Plus as my fitness improves, my friends are still at the same place they used to be and it's getting boring waiting for them. Maybe riding a SS will give them time to catch up?

I see a Nashbar 29er in my very near future(1-2 days).

local trails rider
    It is also possible to go faster on a multi-gear bike.

If it is too easy and slow the way you are doing it now, just shift to a taller gear. Then you can catch your breath at the top while waiting for your friends.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    It is also possible to go faster on a multi-gear bike.

If it is too easy and slow the way you are doing it now, just shift to a taller gear. Then you can catch your breath at the top while waiting for your friends.
    Yeah I do that, but I'm on a Full squish 29er with no lock out on the rear and it's hard to really dig in on it even with pro pedal. I rather just get the HT SS and call it a day.

local trails rider
    Ah, it will be a second bike (not only bike).

In that case, sure, go for it. Everybody should have a hardtail anyway. If it were me, I'd get a bike that can also be used with multiple gears, just in case you find yourself preferring gears at some point of your life.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Dive Bomber
    Instead of waiting my friends catch me up I usually U-turn to the last rider of my groups just to check their situation and condition and then I re-climb the track. Just think of this as repeat hills training.

By doing this you can get even more stronger but your friends not, some people think that you try to smoke them but the truth is you keeping your legs warm.

The longer time your friends reach the goal the more stronger you are.

mtbr member
    when considering how much of a "workout" i am getting on my bike, i don't worry about how far I rode, i try to just think about the amount of time i spent riding. keeping your heart rate up for 2 hours is a lot more of a workout than clearing the same distance in 45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Your assumption that riding a SS will give your friends time to catch up is wrong. You'll climb faster with a SS because you have to. With a geared bike, you can get lazy (my friend calls the shifter button the 'lazy' button), gear down and go pretty slowly. You can't do that with a SS. You have to keep a minimum speed or learn to do track stands.

Get a SS, you'll love it!

Members who have read this thread: 0