Why does the grass almost always seem greener?...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wink Why does the grass almost always seem greener?...

Hi guys and Happy Easter to all of you!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a SS'er through and through and that ain't going to change!

I've been riding SS for about 4 years now and currently have a Soul Cycles Hooligan which I really enjoy riding, it has the measure of bikes I've had costing far more money and really is the most fun I've swung my leg over since Mrs. J! However...

Why am I considering buying into gears and suspension again?!! I'm seriously considering buying an Intense Tracer, an Orange Blood or an Orange Crush. Two FSers and the latter a HT with just front suspension. See for the past 4 years I've mainly been riding on my own, but recently I've started riding with an old riding buddy who is on FS with gears. Obviously it's got me thinking back to the shred days of old, where we'd rip downhills with our FS bikes, spinning out at much higher speeds, spinning in the granny ring up the big hills and taking stupid lines just because we could!

I know my SS will remain my primary bike, I just love the purity of it and the smile it gives me, like a giant BMX. But why oh why am I considering spending over 3000 on a bike that I might ride once a month?

Another option is to just buy some Reba's or Fox forks for it, along with a 1 x 9 setup for when I'm out with the geary crew, but I don't know if I can be ar5ed with the hassle of setting up the bike differently.

Do all SS converts go through this temporary relapse into insanity/sanity?! It seems to me like a green grass scenario, my head has been turned again, I feel like such a man whore, but I can't help thinking that I need this new bike in my life... Do I? Or do I just need help?!...

Jesse James, Tiger Woods, what's the name of your therapists?!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Hi guys and Happy Easter to all of you!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a SS'er through and through and that ain't going to change!

I know my SS will remain my primary bike, I just love the purity of it and the smile it gives me, like a giant BMX. But why oh why am I considering spending over 3000 on a bike that I might ride once a month?
    No need to explain yourself to me. I've been thinking about getting a full squishy bike. I like the feel of spinning sometimes and some days I want my riding to be less like a well placed kiss and more like a wet messy, chapped lips, I just turned 15 an learned how to make-out session. I want to bomb hills and stuff without worrying about the jackhammer feeling.

If I had two mountain bikes, it would be one 29er rigid ss and a F.S. 26er. With two bikes it's like you get twice the trails, right? Besides, you only live once, why limit yourself to one bike? Ride em all dammit!

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to get a geared and front sus'd HT, the Orange Crush.

I reckon I'll enjoy that bike but I'm might wait a bit for the real deal, Intense Tracer VP!

Out spokin'
    Do it. Variety is the spice of life. Just don't sell that SS. So nice to walk out to the garage to ask oneself, "Hmmm... what shall I ride today?"

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep, I just added an SS to my collection (6"FS & Jumper). Life was too easy and I'm getting too old. Felt like I wasn't appreciation the FS any more so I'm on to SS rigid for now. 5 rides in and I appreciate the simplicity more and more every time. Go for it, You'll be back for the SS, just like I will the FS.

don't try this at home
    variety is good. SS can and will get kinda "boring". after 12+ years of riding a ss exclusively off-road, i ordered a double squish geared 29er. i honestly can't wait i'm so excited. i'll be able to ride the same old trails but in a new light on a new bike and learn a whole new way to ride. this will be my first FS, 29er, and i haven't had a new mtb in almost 10 years, and some of the components are about 12 or so years.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    I feel that completely. I havent been able to ride my SS in almost 2 months due to a knee injury. I've been riding my 1x9 rigid 26er for physical therapy but big bumps still hurt my knee, and as such I've been limited to paved path riding. Now I'm starting to look more closely at geared FS bikes to add to the quiver and make it easier to get back onto the bumpy east coast trails where I used to ride.

Whatever it takes to ride, and I'm sure that the trails will be completely different between a geared rigid bike, hardtail SS, and FS.

Single Speed Nation
    That's a NICE hardtail. Just be sure to remove the big ring and put a bash guard on there.

In fact, since you're a SSer, I'd even take off the small ring. Just keep in mind that if you do that, you won't have the front derailler to keep the chain in place, and the rear derailler doesn't have enough tension to keep the chain on your chainring during bumpy downhill riding. I learn't that to my detriment once... Some sort of chain guide is then a must...

Back on the wagon
    FWIW, I did the same thing last year after 5 years of RSS exclusively. Went out and got myself a nice Rocky Mtn Slayer SXC Team. It took me a while to get used to it, but I kept at it and about the 5th ride on it I had an absolute blast!

Then I took my RSS out, and it was like I had never ridden the thing before. See for me, riding is a lot about muscle memory and switching between two bikes that are so vastly different was NOT easy. I'd spend the first 30 minutes of each ride trying to re-train my subconscious. Now don't get me wrong - I loved riding the FS. Maybe I'm not smart/coordinated/good enough to be able to swap bikes and no one else has that issue. But for me, the SS thing was all about the simplicity and freedom of mind. Switching back and forth was even worse than just riding gears and suspension for me. Wanna buy a ridden 8 times Rocky Mtn Slayer SXC Team? It's for sale on Craigslist
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

Members who have read this thread: 0