why do you SS??- Mtbr.com

Thread: why do you SS??

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

why do you SS??

what made you get into singlespeeding etc.? just curious

for me it was the combination of the workout i get from it and the simplicity of it as far as no derailleurs/shifters malfuncitons etc. just the simple get on it and ride factor.
    it is hard and still is hard to clean some of the trails on my SS but it is worth it in the long run psyically and mentally haha.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeanddrum

for me it was the combination of the workout i get from it and the simplicity of it as far as no derailleurs/shifters malfuncitons etc. just the simple get on it and ride factor.
    it is hard and still is hard to clean some of the trails on my SS but it is worth it in the long run psyically and mentally haha.
    I was bored one day and converted my beater because:

A) I had enough parts to do so
    B) To prove to myself that singlespeeding was in fact ridiculous, as I had been preaching to friends prior to trying it out. Heh heh!

Single Speed since 1997
    Jan 2005
    I've been riding single speed since 1997, origionally for the simplicity of a bike for commuting on, but also to slow me down as I was riding a Chas Roberts 'White Spider' with essentially road running gear 53T main ring 11t-21t rear cassette which ment I could push 36-38mph on the flat and nearly 50+down hill since I'm fairly fit and ride every day averaging 120miles a month at the moment 160+in the summer.
    Riding single speed 46T -18t mean's 27-28 mph on the flat and 36-40 downhill while commuting which is much more sensable.
    My current bike is fitted with two sets of cogs to allow me easily to swap to an offroad ratio just by slipping on a different chain 36T- 20t which let's me clear almost every climb seated on the single track I use

Hansel, so hot right now.
    Jan 2005
    Why? Why? Why?

To this there is no answer.
    Why are we here? Why do we live? Why do we die?
    Why? Why? Why?

There is no answer.
    Only that I do.

Peace, love and '4130 Natch.

Jamie
    When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way.
    So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me.
    -Emo Phillips

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I dunno
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hansel, so hot right now.
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I was bored one day and converted my beater because:

A) I had enough parts to do so
    B) To prove to myself that singlespeeding was in fact ridiculous, as I had been preaching to friends prior to trying it out. Heh heh!

P.S. -I got a fever baby. And the only prescription is more cow bell baby.
    When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way.
    So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me.
    -Emo Phillips

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Precisely. It was curiosity that drove me down this path.

mtbr member

Good job! me...

For me, it was the Richard Marx 3 tape box set, Paula Abdul, and the simplicity of SS.

That's gonna leave a mark

I got tired...

Tired of riding with the same goofballs day in and day out. It was always a debate over who's chi-chi parts were more trick than the other's. Somebody told me I could leave all that behind if I stopped shifting and just started riding.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Why do I singlespeed? 'Cuz my bike only has one gear! DUH!

mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Why?

The crunching noise from yet another derailleur that didn't approve of the gear change the hamfisted incompetent rider was trying to make in the wrong place at the wrong time under too much pressure.

The greasy fingers from using the chain tool to cut the chain down so I could ride home single speed.

The realisation that single speed didn't make much difference to how far I could ride.

The realisation that without a derailleur I wouldn't need the little bag of tools anymore.

The realisation that now I no longer need an excuse for not being able to ride up really steep hills.....

Out spokin'

The circle

The reason I started singlespeeding and the reason I continue to singlespeed are not the same.

I started singlespeeding because my friends did it and they were tough as nails. I wanted to be tough as nails, too. So I built a singlespeed. But I hated it.

Then I got tough as nails.

Then I liked singlespeeding.

Now I singlespeed because I like it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

zeebot

Because I don't know how to tune a derailleur. I strongly dislike the squishmasters tendency to steal my power, and even worse - mess up my braking and pedal strokes with feedback.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbuggy3
    P.S. -I got a fever baby. And the only prescription is more cow bell baby.
    Explore the space, baby.

And He was Not

Boredom

It made everything new again. Suddenly all the local trails became challenging again. What I didn't know was that they seem to become faster on a S/S also. I guess I was sandbagging on my geared bikes.

banned

Simple...

Because I can.

Plus, I really like to sneak up on bears...

mtbr member
    for the money, fame, and groupies.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

JAK
    mtbr member

Cuz I tried it...

...and it was/is hella fun! Kinda like Sparty my answer is two fold as well...

1. I was just curious...
    2. When I wasn't SSing I would always wonder if I coulda done it on my SS. I don't wonder about that anymore(except when I ride something new or was not able to ride the last time), which opened up a huge dead space to allow more wondering...wondering is where its at in the beginning, then you figure it out and wonder about something else...

Wondering to not wonder, only to wonder some more...

OOps I forgot one.....THE BUZZ!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

ballbuster

'cause...

for me it was the combination of the workout I get from it and the simplicity of it as far as no derailleurs/shifters malfuncitons etc. just the simple get on it and ride factor.
    I needed something new. I was stuck squeezing in rides at China Camp after work and before sundown, and needed to make that place hard again, while keeping my speed down. I thought it would sharpen my skillz, build strength, etc. It's done that, but I kinda like it too.

Like the other dude said, I had most of the parts lying around, and I bought the remaining bits at swap meets for cheap. I thought if I really like it, I can spend more dough on a nicer SS. You know what? I really like the low rent one I got. Best $100 I ever spent!

I have friends who think I'm nuts, a masochist. Well, they are partially right. I am starting to learn that embracing hardship and pain makes you better and stronger at whatever you do, and brings on pleasures of thier own.

Those same folks are happy to rot away sitting in front of a computer monitor or television, and drive their cars 2 blocks to the store for whatever snacks they want, and riding the elevator or escalator up one or two floors. I'm hoping that I'm like CrashMaster's friend Bob on Team Hammana in Marin who just turned 70, and still rails the downhills like a youngin. He's a real inspiration, I tell you what.

I used to work with a lady in her 50s who was confined to walking using crutches because her weight was so out of control. Maybe I don't know everyting about her condition, but it seemed to me that she had a Burger King bag in her hand nearly every day, and her condition was quite possibly preventalbe with a good daily walk.

I was once in that downward spiral, and biking saved me. SSing will save me at a faster rate! I say, use it or loose it. Stop being easy on yourself. Work for it, and you will receive!

I'm rethinking the masochist part, tho. I may have to put a suspension fork on my SS. Riding a rigid SS kills my wrists.

mtbr member

Why...

It is the only peice of gear that can actually make you into a better rider. - Mike

mtbr member

because im old

OLD,slow,tired and bald.
    I also like to drink and have been married several times. One x said " im pregnant and its not yours" , i knew it wasnt mine cause i had not ridden THAT trail in a while. Another one said " if you go riding then its over, it is either the bike or me" ,i went riding.
    My 40# squishy said "if you even think about a single speed again then its over" im now riding only ss and have divorced my other rides....
    and i like the experience of low tech..where it is the rider... period.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silence! I kill you!

... and if we just ... Why not?

I just started riding SS to help my climbing, and some of the hills I climb were getting a little easy, but not anymore. That and its funny (to me, and to my for some reason) that he's on a geared bike, I'm on the SS, and I'm beating him up hills. The look on other people's faces that I meet that dont bike is classic when I tell them I go mtn biking on a bike with only one gear!
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Am I getting too bulky?
    'Cause riding a full suspension bike with 27 gears on the trails I ride on a regular basis seemed like major overkill. It was just stupid. Little did I know I'd end up being able to take my SS just anywhere and have a great time on it. Who woulda thunk it?!?!
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    For me, it was the Richard Marx 3 tape box set, Paula Abdul, and the simplicity of SS.
    thanks, gnomer- that made me laugh really hard!

i SS because apparently I like to break frames (really new discovery), oh, and I cant count higher than one. for more silly excuses as to why, check out the FAQ.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Because I did not want you guys to have cooler bikes than me.
    Because my riding buddies said it was stupid and I would hate it.
    Becuase someone told me I would have it back for sale within 6 months if I bought one (4 months now and I cant see it being sold for a while yet).
    Because I keep proving to myself that I can ride it in places that I did not think I could originally.
    Last edited by TR; 01-25-2005 at 01:47 AM.

igoslo

...because

I walked into a bike shop in Tahoe City back in mid-July wanting to kill a few hours before I had to be at a wedding and didn't see the bike I wanted to try out as a possible replacement for my seven year old Kona Lava Dome that had recently taken a tumble from the top of my truck. Yakima had sent me a good deal of money to repair the two bikes that took a tumble and I was pretty serious about getting a Kona Hoss Dee Lux. No Hoss in sight my size or otherwise but there was this purdy Unit smack in the middle of the store. I'd always been curious about the whole single speed buisness and took the bike for a ride. When I asked how soon they wanted the bike back I was told that I could take my time. Spent nearly an hour on the bike and fell in love.

When I got back to BFE Missouri my brief stint on the Unit was all I could think about. I tried to get one a month later on a visit to Chicago and couldn't track one down. The very next weekend I went to the most local bike shop(and Kona dealer) for me(90 miles) and tried to order one. When I got there I was sent away and told to come back the next day when the guy that does the ordering would be in. Unfortunatly for me I just can't make the 180 mile trip any old time I want. Pissed and heartbroken I went back home and on a whim I called the shop where I got my first taste of single speed. The bike was still there! On sale! Cheap! Five painstakingly long days later my baby was at my front doorstep.

I put a few hundred miles on the bike within the first month of having the bike and even though my wife refuses to believe it the single speed love has yet to fade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

because

Don't have the time or the money to deal with shocks or gears. I don't like my bike to make noise. Roots and ruts can't hurt derailers if you don't have one.

Single speeds are so uncool, there cool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nothing romantic here. In 99 I made a move and had to sell off my mtn. bike. A few months later my cross/commuter bike wasn't cutting it so I needed a cheap mtn. bike. I found a Kona converted to SS for $100 and bought it. Since then it's all I've ridden in the dirt.

mtbr member

Chicks dig Single Speeds!

MBA had an article on several boutique custom frames and this really sparked an interest back in 98. Remember the Maltese fore road bikes??

The same year at Interbike Kona had a trick Ti Single Speed that was being raffled off for $5.00 a chance and unfortunately I did not win. The same day we got back into Phoenix I ordered a Kona One Single Speed. The Kona served me proud and I fnished last in many MBA SS category races.

In a spit of idiocy, I sold the Kina procured a sweet Santa Cruz Supalite and remembered why squishy 27 speeds suck. I did the only thing any respectable SS�er would do - build up a Surly 29er SS. Since 29er forks suck, I built up a custom IF 26� EBB with a Fox FX80.

Once 29ers get a decent fork, I will go with a custom 29er Moots. Of course the real reason could be fundage related....

Less gears and more beers! Eric in AZ

Cold. Blue. Steel.

It's pure.

my old boss at the bike shop said i was "too stupid to shift." i miss that guy.

SSing puts the ride back in riding. less noise and complication. faster! aesthetically beautiful. the less traveled path. and this is now leading me down the 29er road... SS of course!
    Spinning and Grinning...

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Basically, I had this sweet asssss Ti Kona hardtail sititng around that wasn't getting any lovin cuz it was boring. I striped the gears off of it, converted the XTR crank with a Spot ring, threw on a Singlelator, and then proceeded to kick my own ass every time I rode the thing. I enjoy the pain, just not all the time.

I have many bikes cuz I like many kinds of riding. I am not a singlespeeding purist, I just like to do it on Sundays, or sometimes on Mondays, or maybe even this Wednesday. Just not all the time because I have more bikes than I can ride in a week and all the rest of them have many gears, except for the Muni. Now that's hard! Does that count as a fixie?

mtbr member
    It burns off the beer faster than with gears. 'nuff said.

Not because I'm fast.....
    I SS because in 2002 I ran out of ways to justify buying another geared bike with the wife.

mtbr member

only one good reason

To get chicks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by J-RAD
    To get chicks
    So have you got any?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    For a challenge.

Having completed the TransRockies in '04, I was under a bit of postpartum-like depression. Riding a dualie with gears was literally making things too easy. I didn't have the time to ride enough to get a fulfilling workout.

Single speeding is like getting the same work-out in 1/2 the time. Added bonus is the improved upperbody workout.

Asthetics and durability of lighter more simplified setup are also appealing to me.

MikeyC

In no particular order

• It was cheap - had a great old steel frame and parts lying around
    • Needed a challenge after riding geared squishy's for years
    • Sick of all the gear/suspension related maintenance
    • I heard that you could drink more beer if you rode SS
    • It kinda fits in with my new single lifestyle

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ...

It seemed like an interesting experiment for winter riding; I hardly ever shift in the snow anyway.
    I'm getting more 'addicted'; now I'm on my 4th SS. The 1st was a converted KHS Team soft-tail, followed by a converted Marin Eldridge Grade, then I decided a SS specific was the way to go with a Kelly Deluxe SS... now I've gone over-the-top with a semi-custom Dekerf Team 853 EBB. I think I need help... like a higher paying job to support my habit!
    this space left intentionally blank

Are your pants fresh?

Why did I start SSing?

I was young, I needed the money.

FP

What day are we riding?
    My friends said that if I rode a singlespeed that they would start kicking my butt. Now I enjoy riding up behind them and asking them to go faster.

Probably drunk right now

WTF, man?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Why do I singlespeed? 'Cuz my bike only has one gear! DUH!

I seem to have turned in to some sort of Shiggy dittohead. I agree, again.

Ken

mtbr member
    Silent power

-----------

Gearie to me "Do you get jealous when you hear people shifting?"
    Me: "No, I worry when they don't shift!"
    Last edited by pacman; 01-25-2005 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more text

Is that Bill rated?

Is there another way to ride?

1: Chainsuck.
    2: My friends were always yelling at me to shift and my ears were starting to ring.
    3: I like to ride the trail, not my bike.
    4: I was to lazy to maintain my gears and far to lazy to move my thumb over to the shifter.
    5: You can only use one gear at time anyways.
    Well, it was a good try.