Why do Gearies get really nervous when SSers show up on a ride?- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ... Why do Gearies get really nervous when SSers show up on a ride?

I have noticed this on many occasions...

...and the usual questions ensue: "Dude, how do you do it on a singlespeed? Dude, isn't that hard to pedal?

Funny, I have never shown up on a ride with my Gearie bike and heard:
    "Dude, is that easy to pedal? "Dude did you ever try standing and pedaling? "Dude do you use your Big Ring ever? "Dude, ever rode that in 44/11? "Dude ever run out of gears?

Makes me chuckle every time I see a Gearie rider staring at my bike like there is some kind of cheater, or secret component, an SSer is a very simple bike, and they don't realize it's the rider, not the bike!

LOL

mtbr member
    Because they don't want to see how their bling bikes with high end transmission really don't give them any noticeble advantage on the trail against a man on the SS.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    A black mega-death tee-shirt, wearing cig smoking, jean short wearing guy showed up at registration asking about the single speed class. "didn't know you were having a class," he said. "Will you wait the start for me?" As our SS racing was in it's infancy, I said sure, but don't make us wait long.
    He showed up in time with a beat-up rigid, fixed gear 1x1. Still wearing the tee shirt and daisy-dukes.
    You guessed it...absolutely spanked everyone! Beat every ti-riding, full squish, lycra-lance wanna be!
    That's why.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Had this happen on our Monday shop ride (where I'm the only SS rigid rider):

We went for a "hot" lap and my buddy says "Dude, how do you do it? when we need to go faster we change gears..."

Me: "I just pedal faster..."

and that my friends, pretty much sums up my whole ethos as to how I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    I think gearies get nervous when SSers show up because they know they will have to endure endless stories about how SSers are cooler, much faster, have bigger nuts, get more chicks, and in general are superior to geared riders in every way.

Like the OP said, it's the rider- not the bike, and only a complete dweeb believes they can buy speed. Why judge a person, or an entire category or riders based on what type of bike they are riding? Most people I know own and ride several different types of bicycles.

mtbr member
    I've never noticed anyone getting nervous. Mostly people are just curious. They think gears and deraillers are mandatory equipment on an MTB and can't quite compute someone riding a trail without them.

I also think people (especially newer riders) over-estimate how much 'easier' gears makes their ride. In some ways I think it's like a safety blanket effect having gears

Sent from my mobile using my fingers.
    Mind your own religion.

local trails rider
    I mainly see curiosity too.
    Sometimes maybe uncertainty about what to expect. Am I something superhuman (yeah right ...) or am I going to walk up all the hills (not many ...)?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    I've never noticed anyone getting nervous. Mostly people are just curious. They think gears and deraillers are mandatory equipment on an MTB and can't quite compute someone riding a trail without them.

I also think people (especially newer riders) over-estimate how much 'easier' gears makes their ride. In some ways I think it's like a safety blanket effect having gears

Sent from my mobile using my fingers.
    Definitely a saftey blanket. Does it hurt? Just shift down!

Not on the SS - Does it hurt? Well you better stop crying and turn another rev...

mtbr member
    We don't and we couldn't care less what you ride.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have some experience riding with a couple single speeders when I was recently a single-speed virgin.

One of them was not really faster than the rest of us but his rhythm was different. I knew he wanted to charge the hills so I tried hard to not be in the way at the base of a climb. I still enjoyed riding with him.

The other left us in the dust. At the time this seemed superhuman considering how he was also "handicapped" with that one-speed bike. HA! It didn't feel like he was on the ride so much as shaming us. Now that we're both on single speeds we are pretty well matched and make a point of riding together.

It's interesting how single speed seems like such a handicap until you try it... and realize that it's more like an advantage (at least in some conditions).
    Last edited by bugshield; 11-09-2012 at 09:49 AM.

No Stranger to danger....
    Because most people get nervous when people from weird cults turn up anywhere.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Because most people get nervous when people from weird cults turn up anywhere.....
    But half the country just voted for a weird cult member ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I think gearies get nervous when SSers show up because they know they will have to endure endless stories about how SSers are cooler, much faster, have bigger nuts, get more chicks, and in general are superior to geared riders in every way.
    +1. Can we cool it with these "SSers R teh m0st aw3s0m3st r1drs ev4r!" threads now?

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    HAHAHA , funny stuff mate, i like your sense of humour
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    Because they don't want to see how their bling bikes with high end transmission really don't give them any noticeble advantage on the trail against a man on the SS.
    If that was true then you would see the pro's riding ss at the world cup events.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Single speeds are slower most of the time.

but Adam Craig did race his single speed at the Windham World Cup race.

MTB World Cup Cross Country #6 & Downhill #5 - Windham 2012: Elite Men Cross Country Results | Cyclingnews.com

mtbr member
    When I turn up for a club ride nobody gives a monkey's f*ck what I'm riding - in fact most don't even notice whether I have gears or not. Certainly nobody thinks that I'm some awesome trail god {although I am, of course) or that I have bigger bollocks than they have {that too...)

No, my "mates" {if I can call them that} just take the piss, same as ever...........

mtbr member
    Most people don't care IME...I rode with SS riders for over 12 years when I was running gears. Now that I've made the switch to a full rigid SS, I find myself preferring to ride with other SS'ers simply because it's a different riding style. But that wouldn't keep me from riding with geared riders.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Like the OP said, it's the rider- not the bike, and only a complete dweeb believes they can buy speed. Why judge a person, or an entire category or riders based on what type of bike they are riding? Most people I know own and ride several different types of bicycles.
    J.B. Weld = Great!
    ... +1 rep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    Single speeds are slower most of the time.

but Adam Craig did race his single speed at the Windham World Cup race.

MTB World Cup Cross Country #6 & Downhill #5 - Windham 2012: Elite Men Cross Country Results | Cyclingnews.com
    +1 rep for Adam Craig!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If we are not smart enough to shift gears what other screw ups will we make?

High Gravity Haze
    I don't think I've ever seen any nervousness from other riders, but I usually make it a point to not talk about or bring light to the fact that I only have one gear. What I enjoy is the reaction from new riders who realize that I'm on a SS midway through or after a ride.

Quoting the last reaction I heard just after a nasty climb:
    "Good gawd thats a tough climb.....wait...you did that on a f'n single speed? You're either f'n nuts or f'n stupid!!! You're one of those weird people aren't you? God gave us gears and I intend to use them"

mtbr member
    Yeah, but a lot of them live off government handouts and don't ride a SS, or do anything for that matter.

Here, diagonally!
    In general, I'm impressed by single-speeders. Although maybe just slightly less after seeing this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    circle jerk:

A group discussion or activity between like-minded individuals that validates mutual biases or goals in a non-confrontational environment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Does Romney ride SS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag Brah View Post
    circle jerk:

A group discussion or activity between like-minded individuals that validates mutual biases or goals in a non-confrontational environment.
    I ehl oh elhed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john94123 View Post
    Does Romney ride SS?
    Close to half on the country certainly ride on SS (Social Security)...
    Last edited by Climber999; 11-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was having a bad day until I read this and realized how awesome I am. Now I'm going to go get a beer and stare at my big nuts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    FreeCoffee, don't stop there. I am going to adopt some foreign orphans and homeschool them to become rocket scientists and brain surgeons.

Probably build a few Holiday Express's while I'm at it.

Thank goodness I found this forum!

live long and huck
    I ride both geared and SS. Sometimes, when I'm granny grinding geared up a merciless 27% grade, I shudder at how badass I would have been if only I had decided to bring my other bike.

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeCoffee View Post
    I was having a bad day until I read this and realized how awesome I am. Now I'm going to go get a beer and stare at my big nuts.

mtbr member
    I wish I had written this. But then again, I SS, so I never forget how awesome I am... my nuts hurt.
    Mind your own religion.

Combat Wombat

What I really want to know.....

is where can I find one of those really cool decals "one F***ing speed"? That way everyone will know that I am a bad azz stud muffin.

Seriously though, anyone that shows up for our weekly ride on a rigid SS and waits for someone to give him a second glance is going to be disappointed. Dime a dozen these days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    If we are not smart enough to shift gears what other screw ups will we make?
    Lets see.
    Girvin Flex Stem
    Biopace chain rings.
    Softride Beam Bike
    IRD Bikes
    Spin mag wheels

Just to name a few.

I REALLY like my SS.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just installled Di2 on my SS.

I'm a rebel.

On wuss patrol
    Don't forget to throw a 3-way in there while you man the POV cam.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I just installled Di2 on my SS.

I'm a rebel.
    Awesome.LOL!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just an FYI: most people think the whole sport of mountain biking is pretty geeky whether you ride a 15-pound SS or a Big Box Ckunker. My 29-year-old-girlfriend-who-overlooks-the-fact-that-I-am-20-years-older-because-I-have-money tolerates my bike habit but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I'll be on your doorstep with some free pamphlets soon, mate. Ding-dong...
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Just an FYI: most people think the whole sport of mountain biking is pretty geeky
    you can drop the "mountain" from that... most people think that adults on bicycles is ghey no matter what the flavor. Unless you are Lance, then it's cool. Of course, all those people are probably the same overweight ******s who never get any exercise in any form any way, so who cares what they think?
    Mind your own religion.

Bro Mountainbiker
    They dont. Singlespeeders are pussies.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    If that was true then you would see the pro's riding ss at the world cup events.
    Adam Craig, Windham NY, 2012
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Because now, it's gonna be painful....and no crying allowed.
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    This just reminds me of that old VW commercial.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ugq45gdxqAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robtre
    Recently one of my good friends and Riding buddies converted to SS. He always was slower than me and always was was impressed that I beat him on a SS. He is a triathlete, and runs and swims and the only other thing I do aside from riding trails is drink beer. I told him over and over again its not that bad and if he got a SS he would dust me. Well all that came to fruition last week he bought a Redline Monocog and sure as s**t dusted me.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Members who have read this thread: 1