Why did I order a geared bike?- Mtbr.com
    beer *****es n' bikes

Why did I order a geared bike?

So, due to work and school and having a very unstable bike situation I have not been able to ride for this entire semester. So sick of waiting around for Specialized to send me my new gearie I took my SS commuter into work today and found a 32t chainring and converted it from a 44x18t to a 32x18t for offroad use. This was my first time on a SS with decent gearing offroad, and I have to say it kind of made me wonder why I ordered my gearie. I was clearing things on this that I didn't or rarely cleared on my previous geared bike, and the places I got off were really the same places I had to jump off on the gearie.

I gotta say, for the $20 or so bucks I spent on this, a 25lbs steel framed SS sure is a bargain. The trails still had standing puddles in some areas and the SS didn't whine and fuss like a 9spd b1tch everytime it got gummed up. The ride was smooth, I didn't really miss the suspension and found myself picking some great lines.

Only drawback was the only tires I had that would fit the bike are some skinny Kendra CX/semi slicks that like to let go a lot in the wet, and made some interesting situations with the wet and tacky corners.

Seriously, why did I order a geared bike?

Oh its a mid 90's Peugeot btw... entirely spare/used parts...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

FUD
    ®
    Jan 2004

that's...

a single speed. no ebb, no discs, no crater sized hole in your bank account, no worries leaving it outside the coffee shop. no idea why you ordered a geared bike, unless its a roadie or cx'er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You ordered a Stumpy HT right? I've been SS only for about a year now, and I want that bike. I NEED that bike. I love my Surly, but there are times when I want to switch it up and ride something else, for a change. As well as I do hanging with my friends up the hills and through the tight stuff, if there's a slight clearing they're gone, despite my spinning like a madman. I agree with you though, I clear about the same stuff on my rigid SS that I did on my old geared Rockhopper, which sometimes makes me feel the same way you are right now. But when it comes right down to it, if you cleared EXACTLY the same stuff and went EXACTLY the same speeds, it's another bike to play with. And that's always a good thing. I'm saving my pennies for this bad boy:

Expert Pushing SSer

Welcome to the epidemic...

Quote Originally Posted by seely
    So, due to work and school and having a very unstable bike situation I have not been able to ride for this entire semester. So sick of waiting around for Specialized to send me my new gearie I took my SS commuter into work today and found a 32t chainring and converted it from a 44x18t to a 32x18t for offroad use. This was my first time on a SS with decent gearing offroad, and I have to say it kind of made me wonder why I ordered my gearie. I was clearing things on this that I didn't or rarely cleared on my previous geared bike, and the places I got off were really the same places I had to jump off on the gearie.

I gotta say, for the $20 or so bucks I spent on this, a 25lbs steel framed SS sure is a bargain. The trails still had standing puddles in some areas and the SS didn't whine and fuss like a 9spd b1tch everytime it got gummed up. The ride was smooth, I didn't really miss the suspension and found myself picking some great lines.

Only drawback was the only tires I had that would fit the bike are some skinny Kendra CX/semi slicks that like to let go a lot in the wet, and made some interesting situations with the wet and tacky corners.

Seriously, why did I order a geared bike?

Oh its a mid 90's Peugeot btw... entirely spare/used parts...
    Was thinking the same thing last night as I had my cassette apart, chainringS, and ders. I am looking at $130 or so just to replace rings, casstte, and chain?? I could have put the $2500 on a nice sweeeet SS, but sunk it into a geared HT. One ring, one cog, and a chain, no fuss no muss.

Mike
    Tuff Schist