Why the big tires ?- Mtbr.com
    Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

Why the big tires ?

Why on SS bikes am I seeing such HUGE tire selections like 2.3 and 2.4 ?

The idea of pushing around anything over 2.1 annoys the hell out me.

??????

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    because it's mountian biking and we are riding in the dirt.

I wear two thongs
    The bigger tire also tends to hold more air adding more cusion to the ride of a rigid SS bike.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gobriango

??????
    Because we can? Her-cules! Her-cules! Her-cules!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Ride what you like. It is the mantra of the SSer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

highly visible
    Bigger tires have more cush. A lot of SSers are riding full rigid. Which can be painful with 2.0s, but not so bad with 2.4s.

Bigger tires have more grip in most conditions. Handy in back for SSers' less-than-even power delivery while climbing. Handy in front for cornering and braking if you don't have suspension.

If you don't like fat tires, don't run 'em. Plenty of 2.0-2.1 choices last I looked.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I find that the skinny 2.1's annoy the hell outta me but then I don't care too much what other people ride. If it works for them, cool. Each one of us finds the equipment that works for their situation.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    2.5's, cuz I gotta ride mine on semi packed snow. You think big tires are a pain, try adding a set of tire chains.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Having a nice day!
    I went with 2.3s for the traction more than comfort since I'm a wuss that runs a suspension fork Momentum is so key when singlespeeding that taking a corner or coming downhill with more speed and confidence that you won't lose grip is more important to me than carrying some extra weight and a little more rolling resistance. Plus it smooths the trail out some. If I was racing, I might have a different opinion. I don't so it isn't an issue for me.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I run 1.75's on my rigid and 2.0's on my wussy SS... wider tires have thir place but I find that the tires on both bikes offer enough cushion at lower pressures to make my ride downright comfy and climbing a joy.

Mind you, the last time I checking in on the scale I only weighed 140 but suspect all the SS'ing of late has added a few pounds to my frame.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

I wear two thongs
    I run a 1.95 in the rear and a 2.1 up front on my SS but it has 80mm of travel in the front. I am thinking about switching to a full rigid to make things easier to maintain for the winter since I live in Upstate NY also my local trails are generally smooth flowing single/double track so the fork really isnt needed. When I switch to rigid I plan on running 2.4" tires all around (with a home studded front) too give me more traction when the going gets slick in a month or 2.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Cause they look baaad.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by gobriango

??????
    I hated pinch flatting frequently with little tires. I weight 185# so maybe lighter fellers can get by with smaller meat, but I like mine fat. I run a 2.5 up front (even with a 4" sus fork) and a 2.3 out back. I'd run 2.5 f&r if my frame had the room.

The weight isn't really on the bike. It's in your head.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There's another thread running on which big tyres for rigid SS.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=233239

Many of the 2.4 tyres weigh just the same and roll just as well as 2.1s but have much better cushioning and grip.

And as said above many of us like it fully rigid...

large member
    There are many different reason people run large volume tires. My main reasons are for comfort, efficiency and traction. While a 1.9 may seem faster than a 2.4, you may actually be losing efficiency on the 1.9. If you ride terrain with any amount of roots or rocks, a larger volume tire with a lower psi will absorb the bumps beter and not create an upwards, momentum robbing motion like you would get on a 1.9 that requires higher psi levels to avoid pinch flats. In the same relation, the higher psi levels needed to avoid pinch flats on rough technical terrain will also cause the smaller volume tire to lose a crucial amount of traction. As mentioned before, another major reason for the larger tire options, mainly on the front are for increased cornering traction and handling. To keep that momentum you need to lay off the brakes. Hell if I'm going to push some dinky tire through a high speed turn on a steep technical off cambered trail. I prefer to keep my teeth in tact as long as possible.

What it ultimately boils down to is that nobodys bike set up should really drive you too crazy. It's set up for the rider's preference, nothing to get bent out of shape over.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    The weight isn't really on the bike. It's in your head.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    big tires = a reason to show off, straight pimpin, and takes alot more abuse than 2.1's and lower

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Comfort and traction. Cornering and climbing traction are key.

The other thing to play with is tire pressures. I used to run 45 psi to be be fast. (I'm 145 lbs) Now I'm playing with pressures between 20-25 psi.

No remember that not all big tires are heavy. The WTB Mutanoraptor redefined the space a few years ago with a nice big bubble at 2.4 but weighing a 600 grams. You normally want a light casing with short knobs, specially on the rear tire if you want to go fast.

francois
    IPA will save America

Got Mojo?

High Volume

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The other thing to play with is tire pressures. I used to run 45 psi to be be fast. (I'm 145 lbs) Now I'm playing with pressures between 20-25 psi.

No remember that not all big tires are heavy. The WTB Mutanoraptor redefined the space a few years ago with a nice big bubble at 2.4 but weighing a 600 grams. You normally want a light casing with short knobs, specially on the rear tire if you want to go fast.

francois

I weigh more than you, and I have run a front 2.4 Mutano down to 18 psi. No pinches. I would not recommend it, it is a tall tire. But this was a pressure test, and it passed.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I run Kenda 2.3 BMX style, tread for winter and off-road for the grip and cushioning. The tread wraps around the tyre and you can lay the bike down and they still hang on. But for summer and commuting I run Maxxis 1.5 slicks which rip! They're fast, slick and you can crank them past the roadies on the flat, then blast them on the hills while they're pedalling away madly in one of their 99 gears! hahaha

Category Winner
    Because I don't wanna die doing this:
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by tier
    I run Kenda 2.3 BMX style, tread for winter and off-road for the grip and cushioning. The tread wraps around the tyre and you can lay the bike down and they still hang on. But for summer and commuting I run Maxxis 1.5 slicks which rip! They're fast, slick and you can crank them past the roadies on the flat, then blast them on the hills while they're pedalling away madly in one of their 99 gears! hahaha
    to get traction on the corners..?

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    I have an alum. frame & rigid fork and run 2.1's front and back both at 40psi.
    Ive been riding this setup for about a year and it makes you feel every bump

Also, lots of times it causes me to fall because I cant keep a firm grip on my bars on fast rocky sections. The only reason I dont run wider tires is because my rims are annoyingly (not a word) skinny and so with wide tires I pinch flat every time I hit a bump in the road.

So yeah I imagine that wide tires not only feel better but they also allow you to ride better and longer.

(my wrists hurt)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes.. for cornering. They're Kenda K-Rads and I think the MAXXIS Holy Rollers are similar. Great for street riding. The knobbies I originally had slid out on a few corners, so I ditched them and got these.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    ... my rims are annoyingly (not a word) skinny and so...
    "annoyingly" is a word.

(Just so you know.)

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

...The only reason I dont run wider tires is because my rims are annoyingly (not a word) skinny and so with wide tires I pinch flat every time I hit a bump in the road...
    Very strange. I commonly run 2.2-2.6" tires on 20-23mm wide rims with almost no pinch flats. I have had more with 2.1-2.2 tires on 24-28mm rims.
    mtbtires.com

Combat Wombat
    I currently run a set of Mavic 517 (22mm) rims with a Conti Gravity 2.3 on the back and a Conti Diesel 2.5 on the front. Works fine for me. I wish good tires of this size would have been available 17 years ago, although I wonder if they would have fit most fork and frames.

Brian

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Very strange. I commonly run 2.2-2.6" tires on 20-23mm wide rims with almost no pinch flats. I have had more with 2.1-2.2 tires on 24-28mm rims.
    Yeah lots of people I ride with have the same rims as I do and use Panaracer Fire XC's which arent even wide at all and have no problem.

I, on the other hand, have had a pinch flat every ride since I switched to 2.1's with those rims .. every single ride. Even at 35-40psi. I even flatted bunnyhopping off a curb.

I also check the inside of the rim to look for anything that might be causing the flats every time I change the tubes.

Now after my 9th or 10th pinch flat with this setup i'm moving to skinnier tires to see if the problem goes away.

(and yeah I guess annoyingly is a word.)

CB2
    Jam Econo
    One way to avoid pinch flats is to go tubeless, ala Stan's.
    This thread got me thinking, so I put a Kenda 2.35 Kinetics I had lying around on the front of my rigid. I ran it at 25 lbs. Didn't make much of a difference for me over a 2.1 (Hutchinson Bulldog @ 29 lbs), but I think it is a "small" 2.35.

those are Rollercams...
    Nokian Gazzaloddi 3.0 in front and WTB Weirwolf 2.5 in the rear.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Yeah lots of people I ride with have the same rims as I do and use Panaracer Fire XC's which arent even wide at all and have no problem.

I, on the other hand, have had a pinch flat every ride since I switched to 2.1's with those rims .. every single ride. Even at 35-40psi. I even flatted bunnyhopping off a curb.

I also check the inside of the rim to look for anything that might be causing the flats every time I change the tubes.

Now after my 9th or 10th pinch flat with this setup i'm moving to skinnier tires to see if the problem goes away.

(and yeah I guess annoyingly is a word.)
    Work on picking good lines and riding "light." Equipment changes are not a substitute for good technique.
    mtbtires.com

Des(s)ert Rat
    Mmmm.... Big fat tires... For me they are my suspension.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Bigger tires have more cush. A lot of SSers are riding full rigid. Which can be painful with 2.0s, but not so bad with 2.4s.

Bigger tires have more grip in most conditions. Handy in back for SSers' less-than-even power delivery while climbing. Handy in front for cornering and braking if you don't have suspension.

If you don't like fat tires, don't run 'em. Plenty of 2.0-2.1 choices last I looked.
    I agree....feel the tires are too small when less then 2.5
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I agree....feel the tires are too small when less then 2.5
    When did you get a singlespeed ya big hucker?
    mtbtires.com

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Work on picking good lines and riding "light." Equipment changes are not a substitute for good technique.
    Yup I have to work on that.

but even so, when I said i pinch flatted bunnyhopping off a curb I meant on an fs bike. Even so, I guess Ive got to work on body susp.

mtbr member
    2.5s front and rear with a 5" Fork. I can ride it like a Dump Truck, I don't loose traction and I haven't pinch flatted since switching from the 2.35 Nokians I was on.

Of course at 260pounds with gear those little tires just don't work for me.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member
    Gazza 3.0 front Diesel 2.5 rear. It`s nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

Members who have read this thread: 0