Who's riding tommorrow 7/5- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Who's riding tommorrow 7/5

Where you going? I'm kinda digg'in Nisene Marks these days so Aptos Creek Road it is.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Stokeless Asshat
    Blue Sky trail from Horsetooth reservoir to The devils Backbone and back. A nice rain today is going to make for mega traction tomorrow.

Jeff
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    ill be going to my regular trail(George Mitchell nature preserve) if not a ride around town, i scoped out my regular trail two days ago and found many downed trees
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    stay out of my way if i see you on the trail.

mtbr member
    I'm heading out in about an hour to Auburn, CA.
    :wq

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    stay out of my way if i see you on the trail.
    you cant catch me

Out spokin'
    I'll be kickin'' ass on Larison Creek Trail.

Thankfully many miles from the Nuck/Alex brouhaha.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Apr 2007
    I'm hitting up Corner Canyon.

Don't worry about Alex/chorris---the forbidden love always starts out with a quarreling session---right before they roll down a grassy knoll embraced in passion.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i might take my SS cross bike out for the first time, depending on if the shop is open.... I need to get some tires that arent slick.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut

Don't worry about Alex/chorris---the forbidden love always starts out with a quarreling session---right before they roll down a grassy knoll embraced in passion.

hahaha, you're right. i think if i ever met him in person (which is very likely, because we live so close), we'd get along great.

nuck_chorris, i'm really not that much of an a-hole in person... ok actually, i am, but i'm at least a little bit more tolerable than online.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    hahaha, you're right. i think if i ever met him in person (which is very likely, because we live so close), we'd get along great.

nuck_chorris, i'm really not that much of an a-hole in person... ok actually, i am, but i'm at least a little bit more tolerable than online.
    just be careful, i hear he has no chin under his beard, only another first.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut

uhh that is not really desired, anyways it would be nice to get to know more people in my area because i want to go ride something else besides this rooty hell hole. alex you just had to make it that much more difficult

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    we should ride cypresswood proper tomorrow morning. it's not that far from you.

did you ride flintridge today? how wet was it?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    we should ride cypresswood proper tomorrow morning. it's not that far from you.

did you ride flintridge today? how wet was it?
    I havent gone today, I go in the afternoon around 5ish , i rode it 2 days ago and there are a couple massive downed trees in the middle of the trail which i had to go around, the bike trails themselves were not very wet, the main trail and the lake were bad but they should be good now. i fell into the lake trying to cross last time.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i used to take my dog swimming in that pond, until i saw a 4ft water moccasin chilling at the shoreline. be careful lol

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i used to take my dog swimming in that pond, until i saw a 4ft water moccasin chilling at the shoreline. be careful lol
    i didn't purposely fall, i was trying to cross with a DIY bridge made out of branches. I found a dead turtle in that water with the head stuck into the bottom floor

sure ill ride tomorrow , but how early did you want to ride?

Apr 2007
    And so it begins.............

one chain loop
    what's wrong with bromance?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Apr 2007

Retro Grouch
    Well it was a good ride punctuated by a funny/bizarre incident. Once I made it to the top of the wall (a mile past Sand Point), I was a little light headed and was moving very slowly. Suddenly I heard what I thought was a rattlesnake. The truth is it's too cold there for rattlesnakes, but I wasn't thinking well at the time. I used to live in the desert and ran across rattlesnakes on a regular basis, so I know what they sound like (they don't rattle, they buzz). So there I was gasping for air, looking around for a damn snake. Well of course it wasn't a rattlesnake; my front tire picked a leaf that caught in my shock brace and the side knobs of my tire was rubbing on the edge of the leaf, making the sound I heard. After 25 years as a cop, I usually don't get fearful until I think about things later, instead I think tactics. This time in retrospect I just laughed at myself; what a maroon.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    ... Well of course it wasn't a rattlesnake; my front tire picked a leaf ...
    Coulda been worse. One time I took a mountain bike tour in eastern Washington with Glowboy. We were pushing our bikes up a steep embankment to get to an old abandoned rail grade and I suddenly thought I'd punctured my front tire because I heard a kind of loud hissing sound... turned out it WAS a rattlesnake. I practically stepped on him. I am not used to them, but learned fast on that trip. BTW, this was along the... wait for it... Snake River.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    funny that, i had a twig moment this evening as well. i picked up a vine on my rear wheel and at first i thought i was hearing critters rustling as i rode past. i finally realized it was the vine whipping around on the brush, dragging the ground, etc. i ignored it, thinking it would fall off, and i didn't want to lose my momentum by even trying to kick/shake it off.

i finally had to stop as it tightly wound itself around the hub.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    funny that, i had a twig moment this evening as well. i picked up a vine on my rear wheel and at first i thought i was hearing critters rustling as i rode past. i finally realized it was the vine whipping around on the brush, dragging the ground, etc. i ignored it, thinking it would fall off, and i didn't want to lose my momentum by even trying to kick/shake it off.

i finally had to stop as it tightly wound itself around the hub.
    who were the trails, lake still flooded? didnt go cause my shoes haven't dried

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    lake is high, but not flooded. trails are fast except for 2 BIG felled logs that you have to walk your bike under or around. another section was blocked by a big cluster of leafed branches. i went around them at speed, and completely ate sh!t after hitting a hidden log.

the tree monster grabbed my bars only once. i managed to save that one.
    Last edited by alexrex20; 07-06-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Low Rep Count
    Man, I had my whole early morning planned! Get up at 6 and go ride! Be back by 8:45 in time to get the kids to the parade they had to walk in. But no. The wife couldn't sleep and she got up before I did. I came downstairs to be met by her with a request for me to go to the store to pick up a few things to take with us to the parade. So my thoughts shifted to, "I will ride this afternoon while one of my daughters is at soccer practice". But no, the wife made plans with some family friends (mainly her girl friends family-the husband is a total couch potatoe jock-could play a sport if he wanted to) and I ended up over at their place all frickn afternoon! The only highlight was that we had Chipolte! Just sucked!

On a good note, I ordered an Access frame yesterday. Not that it is a great frame mind you, but I had an original Super-Go frame that lasted me about 7 years before I bought a second one which I have had for about 6 years now. In any case, the plan is to pull all the parts (mainly XTR) off my current-not ridden since going SS, and build it all on the new one for my wife. It will be her first "real" bike. I am thinking I will put my Conti slick tires on first to let her get used to gears and what not and hopefully get her out on the trails by the end of summer!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ... But no. The wife couldn't sleep ...
    It takes a darn good wife to be better than none at all.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Low Rep Count
    I hear you. She is ok I guess. That goes for the whole lot of women I live with. (I have 3 daughters!)

mtbr member
    Had me a nice ride yesterday. Good group of guys showed up, two of us have wives who are 9 months pregnant so we swapped stories of how we're preparing, excitements, etc. Trails were in pretty good shape, though a bit dry/dusty. Saw what is likely the hottest woman who rides our local trails. A well-rounded day indeed.
    :wq

Out spokin'
    I hear you. She is ok I guess. That goes for the whole lot of women I live with. (I have 3 daughters!)
    Likewise... I have three daughters as well.

But no mo' wife.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Low Rep Count
    You got about 15 years on me so I am guessing that your daughters are older. Mine are only 11 and 5 (the twins are 11).

Ok, back on topic. Hopefully I can get out this afternoon (doubt it as one daughter has a swim meet and then I have a training appt at 8) but tomorrow is a go. Don't want to ride too hard though since Thur is my weekly group ride.

Out spokin'
    You got about 15 years on me so I am guessing that your daughters are older. Mine are only 11 and 5 (the twins are 11).

Ok, back on topic. Hopefully I can get out this afternoon (doubt it as one daughter has a swim meet and then I have a training appt at 8) but tomorrow is a go. Don't want to ride too hard though since Thur is my weekly group ride.
    My girls are 31, 27 and 22. I also have 2.5 grandkids. Whoa!

Back on topic: I've been waiting for 2 custom cranks to arrive... just found out they'll be on my doorstep on Thursday. Once they get here, I'll reassemble both my SS machines and be able to look myself in the mirror with respect once again. (I've been a SSer masquerading as a gearie for the past 5 or 6 months.) Got new wheels for the Inbred and everything. She's gonna be sweet, but it'll be hard to go back to the rigid fork... I've grown accustomed to 4" of full frontal cush.

This reminds me of my GF in high school.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Brad , What are you doing out there at Nisene Marks ? Do you go out and back , take the scenic route down from Sand Point , or do you have a nice loop worked out . I'm trying to figure out a dirt loop . The climb up is kinda nice , but those stutter bumps on the way down are just too much sometimes . I like the scenic route but am trying to be proper . Thanks

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by canascrews
    Brad , What are you doing out there at Nisene Marks ? Do you go out and back , take the scenic route down from Sand Point , or do you have a nice loop worked out . I'm trying to figure out a dirt loop . The climb up is kinda nice , but those stutter bumps on the way down are just too much sometimes . I like the scenic route but am trying to be proper . Thanks
    With my law enforcement history I stay "proper". My Sandpoint+ rides are usually up and back, but I sometimes take the lower single tracks back. OTOH there is what I call the Vienna Trail ride. It starts with a road ride/climb up Vienna Dr up to the trail head. The trail is a nice single track down to Terrace Trail which you can loop around using the summer bridges. This map is pretty blurry, but it shows some of the trails west of the creek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's riding tommorrow 7/5-nisene-marks.jpg  

Last edited by aka brad; 07-07-2010 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that map . I didn't know about that Vienna trail and have not ridden those other trails since 95' or so and forgot about them .

Members who have read this thread: 0