Who's making 17 tooth cogs?...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who's making 17 tooth cogs?...

Who's making 17 tooth cogs other than spot or king? Looking for something like the Novatech or DX cogs, just a basic cheapo steel cog, couldn't find any links on the web. Thanx,
    Vern

Retro Grouch

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

shitmano

if you can locate some old Uniglide twist-tooth cogs, grab them. if you're not using a tensioner, give a regular hyperglide cog a try. they seem to work ok for me, with no derailing or other funny stuff due to the ramps and varying tooth shapes. may be more problematic with a tensioner. and of course a perfect chain line always minimizes problems.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Who's making 17 tooth cogs other than spot or king? Looking for something like the Novatech or DX cogs, just a basic cheapo steel cog, couldn't find any links on the web. Thanx,
    Vern
    Surly and Soma make 17 toothers, but they aren't cheapos... $26-27 each

baker

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Vern
    I'm running Shimano DX BMX cogs for 3/32" chain in 16, 17 and 18. Oops, maybe I don't have a Shimano 17. Check out danscomp.com click on Bike Parts and then go to freewheels. They have Chris King cogs for 22.99. Not bad. Shimano's are 9.99, but no 17.
    Last edited by ssmike; 03-29-2004 at 09:36 PM.

from the STL

white industries

Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Surly and Soma make 17 toothers, but they aren't cheapos... $26-27 each

baker
    http://www.whiteind.com
    White Industries has the great ENO cog in 17t config. Got one myself and it's solid and completely rebuildable.

Definitely not cheap though - $80

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by izak
    http://www.whiteind.com
    White Industries has the great ENO cog in 17t config. Got one myself and it's solid and completely rebuildable.

Definitely not cheap though - $80
    That's a freewheel, not a cog.

baker

One gear to rule them all
    As far as I know the Mosh bmx cog is the only DX style cog available in a 17t. I think Mosh is Giant bicycle co's BMX line up. Check with you local Giant dealer.

Vern

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

re: 17 tooth cogs

Thanx so much for the knowledge, the mosh (giant) is exactly what I'm after, looks identical to a novatech cog..Least I won't have to get one wirecut (edm) which would be very expensive, any tooth count you want would be possible

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

king cogs by chris king, get the steel one

I run a 17 tooth chris king cog
    Im not sure if chris king makes them anymore seeing as they are not listed on the chris king website anymore. they are a little spndy but work great...
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...html#sprockets

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

oops

whoops didnt see the no king part...still they hav other cogs there..harris cyclery has a great selection of singlespeed stuff

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Thanx so much for the knowledge, the mosh (giant) is exactly what I'm after, looks identical to a novatech cog..Least I won't have to get one wirecut (edm) which would be very expensive, any tooth count you want would be possible
    Vern - I'm sure the Mosh cog is for a 1/8" chain. If you are using a BMX chain, you're good to go. But if you like to use a lighter 3/32" chain from a geared bike, the Mosh cog won't work.

I just checked http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/m/10...ct_search.html for 17t 3/32 cogs and, wow, no 17t in a Novatec or Shimano. I just gave my neighbor a 17t 3/32 single speed cog last night, maybe I need to get that baby back!

Retro Grouch

... and if we just ... MOSH cog will work with 3/32 chain..

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Vern - I'm sure the Mosh cog is for a 1/8" chain. If you are using a BMX chain, you're good to go. But if you like to use a lighter 3/32" chain from a geared bike, the Mosh cog won't work.

I just checked http://www.webcyclery.com/.docs/m/10...ct_search.html for 17t 3/32 cogs and, wow, no 17t in a Novatec or Shimano. I just gave my neighbor a 17t 3/32 single speed cog last night, maybe I need to get that baby back!
    The MOSH cogs are pretty much a carbon copy of the Shimano/Novatech cogs and work without problem with 3/32 chains. Don't worry be happy..If you have any problem finding them let me know and I pick one up for you at the Trip.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

17 tooth cogs "novatech dx style"

Called Giant (Canadian office) and will have to call Giant USA, They are the Mosh bmx distribution in the USA only, No one else up here in Canada has these (nasty!) I'm going to try the the Giant USA office, see if they can help or as AKA Brad suggested, maybe find out if your local shop has 2 of the 17 tooth cogs.
    Thanx
    Vern

One gear to rule them all
    Yes, the Mosh cog will fit 3/32 chains. It looks almost exactly like the Novatec cog, The shimano is slightly different.

Here is a pic...left is a 16t Novatec, center is the Mosh 17t, right is a Shimano DX 18t.

Called Giant (Canadian office) and will have to call Giant USA, They are the Mosh bmx distribution in the USA only, No one else up here in Canada has these (nasty!) I'm going to try the the Giant USA office, see if they can help or as AKA Brad suggested, maybe find out if your local shop has 2 of the 17 tooth cogs.
    Thanx
    Vern
    Attached Images Attached Images