A whole different type of SS trail bike:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

A whole different type of SS trail bike:

I put this together for Atomic Cycles' Coaster Brake Challenge that starts on the 5th:

An old early-80s Schwinn cantilever frame with some... upgrades.

That hub is an OLD Shimano MX coaster (we're not allowed to use multi-gears or supplimentary braking systems.) laced to the Sun Levanter hard-anno rims with 11g spokes (stolen from an off-road racing wheelchair I was using as a soapbox racer)

Wish me luck - I love the simplicity of this bike - no cable noises, flopping derailleurs or even freewheel ratchet buzzing like a cicada. Just the shush-shush-shush of knobbies in soft dirt.

-Dirty Dave

EDIT: Sorry - forgot that I had a "stand in" front wheel installed for these photos. On race day, it'll be wearing the other hard-anno rim with matching hi-flange Shimano front hub.

mtbr member
    I LIKE IT!!! Good luck with the Coaster Brake Challenge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that thing looks like fun!

good luck.

Life is a 700c circle...
    Coaster brake goodness!

That thing brings back some memories as I've sold a ton (literally) of those 42 lb. Schwinn cruisers in my day. The best ones were the Chicago built ones from the seventies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris_Hanna
    Coaster brake goodness!

That thing brings back some memories as I've sold a ton (literally) of those 42 lb. Schwinn cruisers in my day. The best ones were the Chicago built ones from the seventies.
    I've pared it down to a "svelte" 32.75 lbs. I'm sure that I could cut more off of it, but the heavy-ish wheels make it easier to ride no-handed.

Members who have read this thread: 0