Who swaps wheelsets relatively often....(and runs hydro's)- Mtbr.com
    Recovering Weight Weenie

Who swaps wheelsets relatively often....(and runs hydro's)

I'm still amidst the confusion of deciding brakes for my wifes new SS.
    As she'll be traveling with it e.g. shipping it and also swapping from a race wheelset to a everyday wheelset pretty often...
    I was thinking that the mechanicals would be the way to go as they are much easier to adjust on the fly....
    We all know that hub spacing can vary, so I'd expect a minor adjustment at the caliper neccessary when swapping wheels.
    Would the Juicy's allow this?
    Any input?

Category Winner

I do it

I run Hayes hydros.
    I swap between a set of XMAX XL's and a set of XT wheels. I have never had to make an adjustment.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Not because I'm fast.....
    Just run V-brakes, because deep down we all know you think V's are superior to discs anyway

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Just run V-brakes, because deep down we all know you think V's are superior to discs anyway
    It's a dirty secret....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Juicy caliper adjustment works the same as the mechs
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Only dead people are old
    I run Magura Marta and shamefully I have 5 wheelsets that I swap around on the SS as well as my evil geared bikes. Why change tires when I can change wheel + tire in a few seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I'm still amidst the confusion of deciding brakes for my wifes new SS.
    As she'll be traveling with it e.g. shipping it and also swapping from a race wheelset to a everyday wheelset pretty often...
    I was thinking that the mechanicals would be the way to go as they are much easier to adjust on the fly....
    We all know that hub spacing can vary, so I'd expect a minor adjustment at the caliper neccessary when swapping wheels.
    Would the Juicy's allow this?
    Any input?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

you can learn how to adjust any of them

Brakes that use a basic post mount (Hayes, new Shimano, Avid etc) can be adjusted quickly on the fly. IS mount brakes (Hope, Magura etc) use shims for latteral caliper adjustment. Both systems have advantages. Avid CPS washers allow for a rotational adjustment on the caliper and can eliminate the need for optomizing or facing the disc tabs. Both the Juicys and the Mechs use CPS washers. If you go with any hydro, you will want to learn how to micro adjust. That is, forcing fluid from one side of the caliper to the other. This is how you deal with pistons that will not retract evenly. Those guys at that shop you go to can help you learn this stuff.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by thephat
    Those guys at that shop you go to can help you learn this stuff.
    Those guys at the shop I go to have their expertise and experience exploited enough by me! That's good to know though. I would feel good then, running the Juicy 7's on the new Niner.
    It's good to hear your input here on the boards. We sure could use the voice of reason more often over here.

Members who have read this thread: 0