Who here is annoyed by the instant links to Jenson?- Mtbr.com
    Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Who here is annoyed by the instant links to Jenson?

All of a sudden everytime, key words are typed into a post ( Shimano, Truvativ, WTB etc) the post links those words to Jenson's website. Personally, I'm not promoting Jenson - don't know anything about them - but I don't want something I posted to be linked to anything unless I have created the link. Until it's stopped, I'm writing S h i m a n o, T r u v a t i v, W T B...

ssmike

Cracker-magnon

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    All of a sudden everytime, key words are typed into a post ( Shimano, Truvativ, WTB etc) the post links those words to Jenson's website. Personally, I'm not promoting Jenson - don't know anything about them - but I don't want something I posted to be linked to anything unless I have created the link. Until it's stopped, I'm writing S h i m a n o, T r u v a t i v, W T B
    I was wondering where that was coming from. I am not impressed with it either. I could almost understand if it was linking to a manufacturer's site, but I said almost. The other problem with W_T_B is it is short for want to buy, and I may not want to buy a w-t-b product when I type that.

I guess they gotta pay the bills somehow.

edit: funny how it does not affect the signature lines.
    Last edited by gpsser; 05-07-2004 at 12:29 PM.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

FUD

Jan 2004

count me as

annoyed. If I want to link somewhere Ill do it, I don't need jenson (or the mtbr overlord) doing it for me. maybe if you bury your own link in the post itll over ride it. lets try....<a href="http://www.jensonsucksloadsofchodes.com/">_shimano</a>
    Last edited by FUD; 05-07-2004 at 02:04 PM.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

whaa?

shimano, truvativ...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

oh that kinda sucks....

it's pretty invasive. although jenson is a pretty good online retailer, i'd rather promote my uber-LBS, The Path (www.thepathbikeshop.com).

it's not going to deter me from using mtbr.com, but it's pretty annoying.

Cracker-magnon
    Last edited by gpsser; 05-07-2004 at 12:33 PM.

No relation
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    All of a sudden everytime, key words are typed into a post ( Shimano, Truvativ, WTB etc) the post links those words to Jenson's website. Personally, I'm not promoting Jenson - don't know anything about them - but I don't want something I posted to be linked to anything unless I have created the link. Until it's stopped, I'm writing S h i m a n o, T r u v a t i v, W T B...

ssmike
    It seems ripe for abuse by unscrupulous types. For example, what if everyone gets used to clicking every time the word Shimano is in a post and expects to go on a shopping spree? Likewise Truvativ, or even WTB.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

Fat, but working on it...
    Well, I personally don't mind too much. I would much rather have that than all the flashing banner ads. But, I guess all those ads are ways to keep this forum free to users. And anything that saves me money is a good thing...

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    It seems ripe for abuse by unscrupulous types. For example, what if everyone gets used to clicking every time the word Shimano is in a post and expects to go on a shopping spree? Likewise Truvativ, or even WTB.
    Nice links but change them red to add to the confusion:

Shimano,Truvativ,WTB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Heh, nice modifications

Harrumph
    That sucks Balls
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

fc
    head minion Administrator
    That's a new ad program we started testing on Thursday. I've seen it on different sites around the net and we've been running it on audioreview.com for a few months now.

I didn't anticipate this to be as offensive as these early complaints are indicating. But hey, I don't know everything and I'm here to listen. I definitely see the point where it appears mtbr is making it seem like the poster is promoting Jenson personally.

Let us know what you think of these links!! Do you:
    hate them
    love them
    don't mind
    don't care.

Please let us know.

francois

"Mr. Britannica"

I hope Jenson is kicking in big time

only seems right since every (unadultered) link is to them......
    Last edited by roadiegonebad; 05-07-2004 at 08:08 PM.

34N 118W
    well, this one was kinda funny....in more ways than one. From the "what do u carry?" thread -

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    two innertubes, one with a jingle Bell in it for the wankers who refuse to ride prepared.
    kinda pesky, I'll probably work around 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    hate them
    love them
    don't mind
    don't care.

Please let us know.

francois

mtbr member

Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Lets see...who's ingenious idea was this to further force commercialization to us? Jenson? Shimano, WTB, Truvativ, Mavic, Chris King, Panaracer, Thomson, Race Face, Sram, what else?
    Almost forgot the rebuttal (no argumentative discussion is worthwhile without one):
    These advertisements pay the bills for mtbreview.com...so that we can enjoy the "free" services they provide.

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

mtbr member

Holy Sh*tmano!

Lets see...who's ingenious idea was this to further force commercialization to us? Jenson? Shimano, WTB, Truvativ, Mavic, Chris King, Panaracer, Thomson, Race Face, Sram, what else?

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Hi Francis, gotta pay the bills somehow.
    As someone else stated, I'd much rather deal w/ the links than deal w/ pop ups, junk mail, etc.... I'll get by...

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    hate them
    love them
    don't mind
    don't care.

Please let us know.

francois

Ride what you want!!
    Must.... click... red.... words..... can't..... resist... the ..... force.... of .... red.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Get over it. You have a red word.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    eh...it's kind of annoying to be blunt. gotta say i've never ordered anything from Jenson. Cambria gets most of my online shopping.

mtbr member
    Why not highlight meaningful words and provide instant links to them. You know, like- hot rich chicks who like to ride bikes (and would support in the style I so richly deserve), free beer, world peace, etc, instead of bowing to the almighty dollar? A links page is provided here, and anyone who doesnt know how to get to those sites shouldnt be pecking at his/her keyboard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

No good Just when you could have sworn

that the cheezeballs that run this fecking web site couldn't fit any more annoying fecking ads onto a single web page.... they prove you wrong.

Maybe someone will create a better, ad-free mtb discussion site, which was the response years ago when intelligent people got fed up with the crap on their AudioReview site. Now look at the advertisers on AudioReview - nothing but second rate manufacturers and shills. And nothing but junk in the classifieds.

Audio Asylum

It's just a matter of time before someone does that in response to the whoring out of this web site and takes all of the users with them.

JJ

blame me for missed rides
    i'm annoyed by this, but i do realize that mtbr has to have some sources of income.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Speaking of cheeseballs...
    How much did you PAY to post on this site and to savor it's flavor? What's that? NOTHING? Oh, that's right. You want ad free, you gotta pay.
    I'm assuming you might be on welfare too since you seem to want it all, AND want it for free.
    Here's my take..when you start PAYING....you can start complaining.
    "Whoring" out this website is EXACTLY what you do when you lurk and then jump in only to give a cheap shot.
    By the way...with the 2 WHOLE POSTS in your history...what would you possibly contribute here anyway that is positive and of lasting value?
    And while I'm here...why throw out personal attacks on the guys behind this outfit? What do you benefit from that? Less ads? Geez.
    You DEFINATELY need a hug.
    All gather round for a hug for JJZolx!

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    that the cheezeballs that run this fecking web site couldn't fit any more annoying fecking ads onto a single web page.... they prove you wrong.
    Maybe someone will create a better, ad-free mtb discussion site, which was the response years ago when intelligent people got fed up with the crap on their AudioReview site. Now look at the advertisers on AudioReview - nothing but second rate manufaturers and shills. And nothing but junk in the classifieds.
    It's just a matter of time before someone does that in response to the whoring out of this web site and takes all of the users with them.
    JJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    How much did you PAY to post on this site
    Lessee if I've got this straight. It's admirable to contribute to the value of the web site so that the site owner can make money _and_ you should be happy to be subjected to ads on top of ads in the process? My mistake.

I used to come here quite a bit until it got so polluted and slow. A lot of the people here were great to talk with. I see that a few of them remain, but it's lIttle wonder that the others have left for good.

I'd gladly pay directly for a good no-ad MTB discussion site. That's how some other special interest sites work and it works well. Of course, there's no money in that approach if you run the site, so don't expect mtbr to go that way. Expect more ads.

mtbr member

Pollution...

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    Lessee if I've got this straight. It's admirable to contribute to the value of the web site so that the site owner can make money _and_ you should be happy to be subjected to ads on top of ads in the process? My mistake.

I used to come here quite a bit until it got so polluted and slow. A lot of the people here were great to talk with. I see that a few of them remain, but it's lIttle wonder that the others have left for good.

I'd gladly pay directly for a good no-ad MTB discussion site. That's how some other special interest sites work and it works well. Of course, there's no money in that approach if you run the site, so don't expect mtbr to go that way. Expect more ads.
    I feel so polluted down here at the end of your pointing finger. How did you Avid being down here with the rest of us. You must be the TruVativ. Or full of Shimano. WTB!
    Last edited by SoloWithOthers; 05-09-2004 at 12:46 PM.

3D guy

Bonking ... not feelin' well The problem for me is...

I now have my message electronically changed and become an advertising shill for a company that I may not even like. Personally I like Webcyclery.com and do not want anything I write pointing to a someone I know nothing about.

So.... I see this the same saying I said something I did not, which is just plain wrong. If the site wants to advertise I can decide whether to click on the ad or not, I do NOT want my posts to be advertisements for someone.

For me, I just plain wont post anymore.

mtbr member
    So you've be interested in a website that offered an ad-free view for a few $$$s?

Ride what you want!!

I clicked the red link....

I couldn't control myself. After I clicked the red link, I was forced to spend money. I now have to sell my house to pay for all the bike parts that mtbr forced me to buy.

Damn you!!

The reviews, the trails, the pictures, the gatherings, the community....... it just wasn't worth it. Now I'm homeless but have plenty of bike parts.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Contrarian
    Just testing: Shimano, WTB.
    Don't you guys ever talk about anything apart from bikes?
    www.shitshifter.com

... and if we just ... Here's an idea

How about each registered user choose one (or several) online retailer that has business with mtbr, and the links in their posts are directed toward the chosen one? at least you got the options.

"Mr. Britannica"
    what if said registered user is a staunch LBS supporter?

QBP or BTI maybe?

"Mr. Britannica"

what's weird is

that it links to Jenson only, rather than the manufacturer. And can be completely out of context. Like if I write, "did you watch the Giro d'Italia on OLN today?" it will go to Giro helmets at Jenson.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Shimano

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    that it links to Jenson only, rather than the manufacturer. And can be completely out of context. Like if I write, "did you watch the Giro d'Italia on OLN today?" it will go to Giro helmets at Jenson.

Shimano
    Sit and spin my ass...

since you asked...

I don't like it. I see this space as my own to write what I want. I didn't create this link to shimano products on the jenson website - a computer program did it.

I know you have to pay the bills but as far as I'm concerned messing with content the users of the forums provide doesn't seem like a good idea.
    Last edited by (Tom); 05-09-2004 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow I am outraged! Some of the words on my screen are red. NBD to me. Do what you need to.