Who else makes Ti stems & seatposts ?- Mtbr.com
    Fat & Single

Who else makes Ti stems & seatposts ?

Sorry if you dont think this post should be in the SS forum, it doesnt really fit anywhere, not 29er specific or drivetrain

Im getting a bit worried about the KCNC post i have on my SS as im way over the weight limit and dont fancy my spincter being skewered Its a 400mm post with 280mm showing and the more i read about broken KCNC scandium posts i reckon its time for a change.

I know of a few, like Moots, Seven, Lynskey and Dean , anymore i should look at ?

BTW im asking because $400 for a stem is a bit ridiclous unless you are spending the rest of your life with that one bike.... and i change mine quite often
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Post: Kent Erikson. Stem: Meh, just wait or get something else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Black Sheep. And while you are at it get one of their Ti mountain moustache handlebars as well (you wont regret it - at least I didnt).

Low Rep Count
    I got an email back from Erickson a couple of weeks ago when I was considering dropping the coin for a ti post. The bottom line is that he said they will warranty the post if it bends. If you bend it a second time or maybe even on the first time he said they will work with you to come up with a solution. One of the things he mentioned was that they can put an aluminum sleeve inside of it to help stiffen it and prevent it from bending. He said, that honestly, they have never had one come back to them yet.

I personally have a KCNC post and have been on 3 rides with it thus far. I weigh about 186lbs right now so I think I am ok though I still try to ride as light as I can on it simply because I don't want to bend it. KCNC also supposedly has a 2 year warranty and even extend the warranty to the second owner if you will (ie you bought it used) so that is good to know.

I was looking at mine this morning since I brought it into the office to weigh it. I have the 27.2 in a 350mm. It only weighed 137.5 which is under their claimed weight. That aside, I stuck my finger in the post and you can feel a ribbed section in the way that it was milled. Similar to what Thompson does to give their posts support. It is no where near as thick as a Thopson mind you but the front and back of the post is silightly thicker than the sides. You can't really see it when looking at the opening but you can feel it.

Don't know if there is really a need for a ti stem. I am running a Ritchey WCS aluminum stem that weighs in right aroun 110 grams (90mm) and am quite happy with it. If you are looking to take the sting out of the bars, try carbon, and if that is not enough then do a ti bar. They are considerably cheaper than a ti stem for sure. BTW the Erickson post is about $200-225 depending on the size.

mtbr member
    I have absolutely no complaints about my Eriksen Ti post. I've had it for a year and a half now with zero issues and am over 200 lbs. The best parts are the ones you can forget about because they just work. The Eriksen Ti post is one of those. They have top notch customer service as well. Great company to support.

You may want to email Moots or whoever about the Ti stem before you buy one. I was looking at picking up a Ti handlebar from Moots but was worried my 200+lbs would flex the bar too much. I emailed them and they confirmed that at my weight and on a SS it would probably flex enough to be uncomfortable. Good honest response. I'm not sure if a stem would have the same problem but it may be worth looking in to.

underachiever
    I've had Moots, Seven, Eriksen and Black Sheep stems and seat posts, but of all of these I like Black Sheep the best. James is a great person to deal with and his products are well worth the wait.

Fat & Single
    Sweet ! Will check them out tonight

I am 215lb ready to ride, i have 31.6mm and a 27.2mm KCNC posts, the 31.6 is fine at 200mm showing , its the 27.2 that worries me,
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Ovaries on the Outside
    So how long until we get enough SS riders with titanium seatposts and handlebars that we can do a review on what is the best material for those parts?

My guess is that for handlebars one might go carbon, for the seatpost, meh?

Low Rep Count
    I don't know Umarth. I have a SS carbon fork and a carbon bar and I am thinking about trying a Ti bar to see if I can notice any real difference between the two. People say that the ti bars dampen a little more but I have never really gotten to ride one.

My ti post on the other hand was a cheap one and bent so that was a bad experience and in no way reflects on the quality of a Moots, Erickson, Lynskey...For the weight weenie however, Ti weighs more so alot of those guys won't be running them.

As for other options. I saw on ebay yesterday a guy selling some ti bars and posts. Apparently he is out in Oregon and is a frame builder. He will bend them however you like. The cost on the straight bar he has listed is only $120. I think the seat post is about the same. Do a search for "TI Cycles titanium handlebars" and they shoudl come up. Almost had me thinking about ordering a set of bars since he will do custom lengths and everything.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Bold Precision makes great posts. As others have said; skip the stem.

mtbr member
    I am a bike fan of Ti seatposts and bars, have them on most of my bikes. If you have a good bit of seatpost sticking out of the frame, a Ti post definately adds some comfort. Ti bars do the same for your hands. A Ti stem doesn't do much for performance, mostly just bling.

That said, all of these Ti bits are quite expensive. If you can afford them new, great! Otherwise, you have to get a bit creative and lucky. I am constantly on the lookout for good deals on bars, stems, and seatposts. I have 4 Ti seatposts, all bought on Ebay for less than $100. I have a Moots, a Dean, one unknown (possibly McMahan?), and I just picked up an Airborne post. A Scotchbright pad makes them look new, and they have all held up perfectly under my 190lb butt.

As for bars, I have a couple of those as well. Mostly Ebay, but I splurged for a Ti Groovy Luv Handle and luv it! You just don't see those for sale!

And I'll admit I have one Ti stem right now. It's a no name brand from Ebay and is on my Ti Black Sheep rigid SS (along with a Moots post and the Ti luv handle). Also cost under $100 new. I was a bit concerned at first about durability, but it's taken a good pounding over the last year and it's held up great. (Knock on wood!)

Yes, I have Ti problem!

Mark

30-ton War Machine
    Eriksen(emphasis on the E in Kent's name) for the post has no equal, that I have found. Moots for stems. I have the Black Sheep MM bar and I haven't got to ride it yet but, it is pretty sweet looking.

Members who have read this thread: 0