White Industrys DOS & Surly Singleator....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

White Industrys DOS & Surly Singleator....

Have a converted Rocky Mtn Blizzard with old style Surly Singleator. Currently running ACS 20T Claws in the back. If I put a 17/19 or 16/18 DOS freewheel on the rear hub, with the Singleator have what it takes to keep the chain taut with both cogs? Sorry if question sounds dumb, but want to make sure before I pop almost a C note for it. Otherwise, I'll just go with a 20T Eno.

one chain loop
    i don't think its gonna work, unless you run two chainrings too to keep the chainline straight all the time.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Even then it won't work without loosening the fixing bolt and re-positioning the pulley. This will be a problem with any hanger mounted tensioner -- I guess the old-school Singleator is among the easiest to adjust in that respect.

I doubt that it can handle the gearing change either without loosening the mounting bolt.

Basically, I suspect that you would have to re-configure the whole enchilada every time you wanted to chaing gears. Hardly worth it for that small a gear change, IMHO.

one chain loop
    how about tensioner with two pulleys side by side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yah, chainline probs was the 1st thing I was thinkin' about. Hadn't even thought about having to loosen the mounting bolt. Thanks gentlemen...I'll just get a 20T Eno SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    how about tensioner with two pulleys side by side.
    Hmm - I am trying to rember how the Singleator is designed. Would you actually be able to do that with a longer bolt?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Hmm - I am trying to rember how the Singleator is designed. Would you actually be able to do that with a longer bolt?
    sure, its called a derailuer

mtbr member
    I pondered this overnight. Made blueprints, paced around calling people, smoked a pack of Camels, threw books around, walked in the rain, in the dark...

no

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindog
    sure, its called a derailuer
    A derailleur is attached to a shifter and can be moved on the fly. I would call this a "broad(er) range single axle multi pulley tensioner". Really rolls off the tongue.

one chain loop
    I call it feasible, with 2x2 and only if tooth difference for chainring will use the same/close chainlength. PBB will patent the "broad(er) range single axle multi pulley tensioner" or BRASARMPIT.

trail rat
    One thing I have seen and considered doing myself (searched but could not find it), is to use a single cog in the back with a Paul's Melvin tensioner (or Rohloff) and two front chain rings. Chain line is not so critical being up front from the tensioner, and you can get more of a gearing difference. Manually move the chain, or learn to use your toes, and you have a practical dingle speed.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    One thing I have seen and considered doing myself (searched but could not find it), is to use a single cog in the back with a Paul's Melvin tensioner (or Rohloff) and two front chain rings. Chain line is not so critical being up front from the tensioner, and you can get more of a gearing difference. Manually move the chain, or learn to use your toes, and you have a practical dingle speed.
    You can do that with 3 rings up front as long as the total difference between the smallest and largest is no more than 20T.

You say "practical dingle speed". I say impractical geared bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    A derailleur is attached to a shifter and can be moved on the fly. I would call this a "broad(er) range single axle multi pulley tensioner". Really rolls off the tongue.
    I like it! Call the designers and engineers, we'll make millions!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I pondered this overnight. Made blueprints, paced around calling people, smoked a pack of Camels, threw books around, walked in the rain, in the dark...

no
    Gee, Ernesto! Sorry I caused you a night of insomnia! Know how those go; have too many of 'em. Thanks for the reply from 'da man himself'. I want a 20T SS Eno regardless.

Members who have read this thread: 0