mtbr member

White Industries Freewheels/Hub - Long term results

I've had a WI 16tooth FW since about the time they came out along with the ENO Eccentric hub. I decided last week I wanted to put on an 18tooth since I am finding myself climbing alot and the 16 tooth is slowing me down. (Funny, but the better shape I get in the more I go down in gearing: went from 33/16 to 32/16, and now 32/18).

Well, I had noticed the bearings were starting to feel a bit rough (after over 4 or 5 years!!!), so I called WI and had them send me a 18 tooth "trials" FW and some new bearings. Got them in and just smiled when I spun the Trials FW in my hand. I could tell this was going to be different.

Now, I go to install the new bearings and FW but discovered that it looks like I might have to buy a new hub due to the fact that the 4-5 years of mashing has created a relationship between the hub and freewheel that is inseparable. Turns out I had to rig a tool to hold the FW removal tool tightly to the FW and use my Thomson 30.9 breaker bar on the wrench and bounce up and down to FINALLY get it off. (Yes I had used grease when installing it and it was still there clean and uncontaminated. It was just really on there like a mutha). And what was really impressive, the "old" 16 tooth FW was in perfect condition. I guess that blue bearing seal stamped "Enduro" means something.

I got the rest of the hub apart (so simple), and popped the bearings out. To my HUGE surprise, only the bearing on the drive side was rough, the other was perfect, and I've ridden this thing in some really nasty muck. Slapped it all back together and it like new......... and I'm talking that kinda "nice feeling when you turn the axle for the first time on a new high end hub" smooth.

I took my first ride with the new FW last night on a group night ride and though I felt I was spinning a bit on the flats, it was not too much and in fact a good thing as it is ideal to spin more so to conserve energy. But the magic was defiantly in the new "trials" freewheel. It made the regular WI 16tooth feel like the ACS I had on before the WI !!! Holly engagement Batman!!!

Hats off to White Industries!

Misfit Psycles
    its cliche but you get what you pay for...

sweet stuff that you can will to your kids one day, if'n you like them.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    White Ind stuff will definitely outlive you.

No Justice = No Peace

Life time

I ride 33/18 on my SS and I keep telling myself that when I need a new FW I will buy a Trials version. The 108 point Hadleys on my other bike feel so so good. I can imagine that the WI trials FW will only engage at least as well

.I guess I shouldn't wait till I need it. Might not live that long.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    All of my SS parts are White Ind. 5 hubs, 3 freewheels, one set of cranks...Can't get enough of their stuff.

Combat Wombat

Just ordered new gear for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    All of my SS parts are White Ind. 5 hubs, 3 freewheels, one set of cranks...Can't get enough of their stuff.
    I have about 3 years on my ENO freewheel and the gears are starting to take on a hook shape, other than that it seems to work fine. I ordered just the outside 17t gear.

Brian

Mark
    Dec 2007

Cheap tester

I started out on theACS Claws FWs since I had no clue where I would end up gear wise on my SS 'Cross bike.

I own 16, 18, 20, and 23 tooth ACS.

I settled on a 41 x 22 for the 'Cross bike and a 39x20 on my SS MTB.
    Both the "final selection" choices are the White Ind.

Every so often I gear waaay down and end up on a 34x23 ACS combo and is does knock a bit.
    ===============

Mark

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    I've had a WI 16tooth FW since about the time they came out along with the ENO Eccentric hub. I decided last week I wanted to put on an 18tooth since I am finding myself climbing alot and the 16 tooth is slowing me down. (Funny, but the better shape I get in the more I go down in gearing: went from 33/16 to 32/16, and now 32/18).

Well, I had noticed the bearings were starting to feel a bit rough (after over 4 or 5 years!!!), so I called WI and had them send me a 18 tooth "trials" FW and some new bearings. Got them in and just smiled when I spun the Trials FW in my hand. I could tell this was going to be different.

Now, I go to install the new bearings and FW but discovered that it looks like I might have to buy a new hub due to the fact that the 4-5 years of mashing has created a relationship between the hub and freewheel that is inseparable. Turns out I had to rig a tool to hold the FW removal tool tightly to the FW and use my Thomson 30.9 breaker bar on the wrench and bounce up and down to FINALLY get it off. (Yes I had used grease when installing it and it was still there clean and uncontaminated. It was just really on there like a mutha). And what was really impressive, the "old" 16 tooth FW was in perfect condition. I guess that blue bearing seal stamped "Enduro" means something.

I got the rest of the hub apart (so simple), and popped the bearings out. To my HUGE surprise, only the bearing on the drive side was rough, the other was perfect, and I've ridden this thing in some really nasty muck. Slapped it all back together and it like new......... and I'm talking that kinda "nice feeling when you turn the axle for the first time on a new high end hub" smooth.

I took my first ride with the new FW last night on a group night ride and though I felt I was spinning a bit on the flats, it was not too much and in fact a good thing as it is ideal to spin more so to conserve energy. But the magic was defiantly in the new "trials" freewheel. It made the regular WI 16tooth feel like the ACS I had on before the WI !!! Holly engagement Batman!!!

Hats off to White Industries!
    indeed...WI makes killer stuff.

I much prefer ENO freewheels to any other SS setup. Had it not been for the increase stiffnes, IMHO, of I9 29er wheels I would run a freewheel setup no doubt (as I do on my 26er SS).

Combat Wombat
    A little OT, but since we are talking about WI freewheels. Something for those that are looking to buy one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW:IT&ih=015

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking...MXWI/WINDFWENO

Notice the eBay seller.

Brian

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    and use my Thomson 30.9 breaker bar
    LOL!
    pete

Back on the wagon
    I've got a question -

The first thing to go on my freewheels is always the teeth, even though I change my chain regularly and lube religiously. Will the teeth on a WI freewheel last longer than on the ACS? Or will I just wear out the teeth and still have practically new bearings on the inside?

By the way Ernesto - thanks for making the ENO eccentric hub. You guys have helped me fall in love with my old vertical dropout bike all over again
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member

New question here. ?

Anyone know how many engagement points the WI freewheel has compared to King or Hadley?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    LOL!
    Not a joke. I've got some "incomplete" Thomson posts that a buddy who works there gave me that didn't meet spec. They are some pimp azz breaker bars fo sho.

igoslo
    As far as FW removal is concerned, it always takes excessive force to get them off. I found the WI FW tool works best with my WI hub/FW setup. Mount the tool loosely to the hub, put the tool in the bench vise. Start reefing one the wheel like nobody's business and it'll eventually break free.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Anyone know how many engagement points the WI freewheel has compared to King or Hadley?
    The regular FW has 36, and the trails has 72.

mtbr member

4.5 years

4.5 years of road / dirt use and abuse. Not an issue with this freewheel. This one has been raced at 24hr events, cross, commuted a gazzillion miles, and still as new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've got a new, pretty trials FW in front of me. I can't install it because I have to show it off to my friends on our weekly ride Thursday. Have you pulled your freewheel apart and cleaned it/regreased or has it been unnecessary?

Welcome to the Gem...
    sealed cartridge bearings...

i'm just saying... chances are they don't need it.
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    The regular FW has 36, and the trails has 72.
    That equals my Hadleys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    sealed cartridge bearings...

i'm just saying... chances are they don't need it.
    That seems to be the case, but I was just asking. WI includes instructions on how to break the freewheel down.

Welcome to the Gem...
    quick question. those of you with the ENO... do you use the bolts it comes with to attach it to the rear, or a QR of some sort?

i ask, as i have some control tech Ti hex releases, and curious about your experiences. the thing about QR stuff, you're assured both sides have the same tension. with the bolts on either side, it's a bit of a gamble. thoughts?
    Ibis Tranny 29

No Justice = No Peace

Yea, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    That equals my Hadleys.
    Hadley doesn't make the 108 any more because the Ti parts got too expensive. Cherish yours as I do mine.....

Ka Ching

No Justice = No Peace

You need the bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    quick question. those of you with the ENO... do you use the bolts it comes with to attach it to the rear, or a QR of some sort?

i ask, as i have some control tech Ti hex releases, and curious about your experiences. the thing about QR stuff, you're assured both sides have the same tension. with the bolts on either side, it's a bit of a gamble. thoughts?
    At least for the Eccentric hub, you need to use the bolts. they thread into an end cap which is offset from the actual axle. There would be no eccentric if the axle were in line with the ends.

Welcome to the Gem...
    mines not eccentric. it's just a 'normal' hub with bolts in the end of it...

my skewers should be here any time now... i'll post back what i find.

damn UPS...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    If it's a straight thru axle, I don't see why it wouldn't work (as long as it fits). It may wear the threads inside the axle a bit, but I wouldn't think it would ruin them. Call white, I am sure they can tell you. Great Customer Service

Welcome to the Gem...
    the holes are too big. a standard skewer is waaaay too loose in the holes.

looks like i'm stuck with the bolt on. oh well. can't be that bad.

anyone want to buy a 135mm Control Tech Ti Hex release skewer?
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member

Only 72 but..

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Hadley doesn't make the 108 any more because the Ti parts got too expensive. Cherish yours as I do mine.....

Ka Ching
    I still digem. I herd Hadley had failures in the 108s because not all pauls engaged each time. But thats just shop talk, I've never met anyone who claimed to have experience it.

Members who have read this thread: 0