White Industries Freewheel Spacer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

White Industries Freewheel Spacer?

I'm building up my EWR ORB 29er with a W.I. eccentric ENO hub and freewheel. I have White industries ENO cranks. I have a 113 mm bottom bracket. My Chainline is perfect.

MY CRANK ARMS HIT THE CHAINSTAYS LIKE BAM BAM BAM! ALL DAY LONG MY FOOT UP A DOGS ASS!

I get that I need a longer bottom bracket like 119 or something but then my chainline will be screwed up. What am I missing? are there freewheel spacers that I could put on before my freewheel to move that chainline out?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been pissing and moaning in the shop and my google fu is about shot.

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    You have an eccentric BB, is the BB set toward the front or rear of the the shell? If towards the rear I would try and add a link and swing it forward so the center is closer to the front wheel if you haven't tried that yet.

mtbr member
    no I have an eccentric hub. the bb is stationary. crank arms bang on chainstays because of low q factor. I need to move chainline out with longer spindle on bottom bracket. rear hub has freewheel. how do I move freewheel out to match longer spindle

mtbr member
    ernesto knows. I see you looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonNorCal
    ernesto knows. I see you looking.
    I know nothin' about spacers. If you are using an eccentric bottom bracket, I'd take the above suggestion.

I need pictures please.

one chain loop
    you need to find something like the "drew's adapter", otherwise replace the frame with narrow stays. here's a similar thread

but the thing is, with the adapter, you will throw you chainline around 20mm+? not designed for SS hub like ENO, mainly just for conversion from 7speed freewheel.
    Last edited by fishcreek; 02-18-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    There are spacers for chainring bolts. I remember getting some that came with some product, I think it was an MRP 1.x chain guide. But they are there so you can use the same longer bolts from a 3 ring setup to a single ring. the spacers take the place of one of the chainrings. If you can track some of these chainring bolt spacers down, you can use them to push your chainring further in from the spider when you go to a longer spindle.

one chain loop
    i think he is using eno cranks. chainring spacers not gonna work.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Yes I missed that part. Maybe shorter crank arms?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How much shorter?

mtbr member
    Well, I don't use (and never have) screw on freewheels, so forgive me if I'm talking crap here, but if you only need to go from a 113 to a 119mm BB axle then that only equates to a 3mm move outwards in the chainline.

So, would you have enough thread on the hub to allow you to use a bottom bracket spacer (which are 2.5mm) and the same ID as screw-on freewheels (1.375") ?

Just a thought anyway......

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Well, I don't use (and never have) screw on freewheels, so forgive me if I'm talking crap here, but if you only need to go from a 113 to a 119mm BB axle then that only equates to a 3mm move outwards in the chainline.

So, would you have enough thread on the hub to allow you to use a bottom bracket spacer (which are 2.5mm) and the same ID as screw-on freewheels (1.375") ?

I had the same thought , from a 113 mm spindle to a 118 mm = 2.5 mm spacer under the freewheel .

mtbr member
    Am I using the term chainline incorrectly? I need the rear freewheel to line up with the front chainring with each having the same distance from the center of the bike outward

I DO NOT HAVE AN ECCENTRIC BOTTOM BRACKET

I have what White industries calls an eccentric hub. If my bottom bracket was eccentric, I could use any hub that I wanted. Since my bottom bracket is no eccentric I have to use a White Industries Eccentric Hub.

The chainline with that hub and freewheel is too narrow.

I can move the front end by getting a longer spindle.

How do I move a freewheel out from the hub out about 5 mm to match the chainline. Are there spacers to do this.

AZ
    banned
    You only have to move the freewheel half of the difference . See the post above yours .

mtbr member
    Where can I find this adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    you need to find something like the "drew's adapter", otherwise replace the frame with narrow stays. here's a similar thread

but the thing is, with the adapter, you will throw you chainline around 20mm+? not designed for SS hub like ENO, mainly just for conversion from 7speed freewheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R

word. A bottom bracket spacer. That sounds like the ticket. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Should I go out farther than 2.5 mm? Can I expect more than 2.5 mm of flex from my frame in that area (steel frame)? I think the next spindle
    size from 118 is 122. That's 4.5 mm farther than the 113.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's going to be a trial and error type of deal. Good thing Shimano square tapers BBs are cheap.

mtbr member
    went with 122 spindle and used bottom bracket spacers to move the freewheel out about 3 mm. Works good around the block... but then so did that piece of crap Singleator. Hopefully ridin tomorrow.

AZ
    banned
    Hope that does it for you . Good luck .

Members who have read this thread: 0