White industries BB "Pain in the @ss"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

White industries BB "Pain in the @ss"

Here is the dilemma.
    I installed white industries steel BB with eno cranks on my V. jabberwocky Jan 2010 and have had absolutely no problems what so ever. As soon as the temperature here in phoenix az jumped(June) into the 100s the bb/cranks began to creak. Okay no big deal. I have used plumbers tape along with Loc-tite(blue) on the crank bolts, removed bottom bracket, greased with phils grease and re-installed according to white industries specs.The majority of the creaking has decreased but there is still enough creaking especially when climbing to drive one crazy. I am about to switch out to a xtr bb with xt cranks, but I wanted to get any advice, tips or opinion before I move to the next step.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you've done everything you can to the bb, sure it's the bb?
    eno chainring might need tightening up.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    I did check the chain ring by hand and it was not loose, but I will check with a wrench and give it a turn to see if it tightens up. It is possible the chain ring might be not as tight as it should be due to the fact the creaking starts when I ascend hills( increased tension on the chainring?)

mtbr member
    A creaking undrer force isn't always coming from where you think. Could be any number of things and the sound just seems like it's out of the BB/cranks. Rear hub sometimes makes noise like this and integrated headsets are notorious for making sounds that hang out in the down tube. Don't know if you have one of those though.
    BBI certified, 12+ years as mechanic

WWYD?
    What about a loose skewer? Happened to me.

Kicker of Elves
    Peddles too

mtbr member
    I recently fixed a ding ding noise in the downtube when under high torque by having the (King) headset removed and reset. It seemed like a long shot but it worked.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 120
    Peddles too
    {wince}

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

nothing to see here
    Have the square tapers been greased?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't recomend greasing a taper fit (square) bottom bracket spindle. That connection is a pressure fit and any lubricant will cause the crank arm to slide too far onto the spindle and also allow for more wiggle of the arm on the spindle. Eventually this will cause the crank arm's hole to become oversized and lead to more play, leading to more need to tighten it, leading to more play, etc. Greasing headset cups where they fit into the frame will do similar things to the head tube.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by djriddle
    I wouldn't recomend greasing a taper fit (square) bottom bracket spindle. That connection is a pressure fit and any lubricant will cause the crank arm to slide too far onto the spindle and also allow for more wiggle of the arm on the spindle. Eventually this will cause the crank arm's hole to become oversized and lead to more play, leading to more need to tighten it, leading to more play, etc. ...
    +1 on the dry square taper contact point.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    White --They recommend a little grease, I used mine this way for several years and i take the cranks off all the time and switch with my other singlespeed no problem, My creak came from the Ring coming lose No matter how tight i cranked on it, i used loctite and fixed the problem..

mtbr member
    If WI recommends it then maybe they designed it that way. I know Campy and Shimano say it's a no-no, but then again they don't make those designs anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    +1 on the dry square taper contact point.

--Sparty
    +2!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    seatpost related too perhaps? anything in the back half of the bike sounds like it's coming out of the BB.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    it could be your knees or any other bones in the lower body. i don't know if your as old as sparty but maybe the joints need some lube.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member

Loose Lockring

Hey all,
    thanks for the info. I dismantled the eno cranks, bearings and spindle. I re-assembled each newly greased component and went to check the lock-ring on the chainring.The lock-ring was slightly loose, so i lubed the treads with loc tite and tightened as tight as she would go.
    I bet the bike will be creak free, but I do not know if the creaking will cease in my spine or knees. :-)
    Thanks all
    Doug R

Members who have read this thread: 1