Want to vent?

Is White Ind. Freewheel worth the $$$ ?

Hi, Im considering a White Ind. freewheel...is it worth the money? ...ive been using an ACS?
    Considering ACS is less than 15 dollars and white is hyping theres hard about durability and its 50 dollars plus? Any input would be appreciated?

Thanks

-Boz
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz
    Hi, Im considering a White Ind. freewheel...is it worth the money? ...ive been using an ACS?
    Considering ACS is less than 15 dollars and white is hyping theres hard about durability and its 50 dollars plus? Any input would be appreciated?

Thanks

-Boz
    I posted the exact same question a few days ago. search a bit and you'll be able to read the responses.

summary: YES.

mtbr member

sealed

Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz

Thanks

-Boz
    its sealed, it's got replacable parts, it will live through the apocalypse. Anything else is ho-hum. So yes, it is worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Uhh,

Yes, and yes, well and if that wan't enough, why yes again. I ran a ACS for three days waiting for a new ENO freewheel to arrive, worst three days of my life. Ed

mtbr member

Yes...

....had mine for a looooong time now, since they first came out. Still smooth as butter....actually smooooooother now. No fuss, no muss, Winter, Summer, sand, water, what eva.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    ....had mine for a looooong time now, since they first came out. Still smooth as butter....actually smooooooother now. No fuss, no muss, Winter, Summer, sand, water, what eva.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    So true.

I put on a new ACS to try a new gear combo and it started making noise and feeling rough in 3 rides.

Took 18 months before my ENO needed servicing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I put the green trials one on my Fuji Track. They are nicely made and I doubt it'll ever wear out in road use.

Looks good and sounds wonderful on long steep hills. Bzzzzzzzzzing!
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datako
    I put the green trials one on my Fuji Track. They are nicely made and I doubt it'll ever wear out in road use.

Looks good and sounds wonderful on long steep hills. Bzzzzzzzzzing!

Yeah, they're going for that Chris King-like sound and feel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    its sealed, it's got replacable parts, it will live through the apocalypse. Anything else is ho-hum. So yes, it is worth every penny.
    as i am very close to buy this beauty, i wanted to know which part of the freewheel were replacable? cog, paws..?? and an idee of how much it cost
    thanks for your answer
    Last edited by mosquitos; 10-10-2005 at 07:03 AM.

JJT
    mtbr member
    Do you guys do any maintenance after wet/muddy rides? I heard some complaints about mucked up bearings (not able to rotate the freewheel by hand) when not using the freewheel for some weeks after a wet/muddy ride.

I have no complaints about mine but I did not use it yet in realy bad circumstances.

JJ
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

Fixed and single.
    Ive ran ACS since I was a kid, just always had a grease gun. But with the White, low maintenance is only half the bennies. Wait til' you feel the quick engagement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    engagement! bomb-proof! i have several and no probs with any of them and even if there were, white ind. would take care of me; kind of like on-star for your cogs.

buy it, enjoy and get used to it; you'll have it for a long time.

marc

mtbr member
    I want to get a White. I'm wondering if it will eliminate the occasional popping sound that seems to be coming from my ACS. Has anyone else had a problem with the popping from an ACS? And will the White take care of this?

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

and yet again, YES!!!!

in addition to the benefits mentioned above, just take a good look at the cog itself as compared to an ACS. way thicker, much taller teeth, perfectly machined, obviously far superior material. they'll last a good 5-10 times longer thanks to this construction, and if you do manage to wear one out, just replace the cog assy.

but, that being said, the main reasons to get an ENO are but two:

the quick engagement,

and, Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Y'all know what I'm talkin' about...
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pitmang1
    I want to get a White. I'm wondering if it will eliminate the occasional popping sound that seems to be coming from my ACS. Has anyone else had a problem with the popping from an ACS? And will the White take care of this?
    everything's sealed and there's no popping whatsoever. i'd used the acs freewheels for years, and for the most part, they're adequate but knock, pop, skip and wear quickly. at $15-25 a pop, and replacing them several times a season, the white freewheels make sense; more teeth, more pawls, better engagement, no skipping, sealed mechanics, no knocking or popping, plus, they look supah solid. my riding improved, my acne cleared up, i lost 49 lbs in just 3 weeks and my erectile dysfunction is just a bad memory. spend a couple of extra bucks up front and save yourself a bundle down the rode (or trail).

marc

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pitmang1
    yes, and yes (gee, do we have a theme going here what)?

the popping is because the ACS is a piece of crap. the ENO makes no sound whatsoever except for the lovely Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

and be prepared for damn near instantaneous lockup under any and all conditions. it sucks, i know, but you'll get used to it somehow...
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    where are ENO freewheels only fifty bucks? Every reputable e-tailer I've found wants eighty to almost one hundred bones for one. Better choose your size carefully!

Like the others said though... absolutely the best. Only a set of CK singlespeed hubs with a Boone Ti sprocket would be better (though the Phil Wood followers would probably beg to differ).

• Instant engagement
    • Cool BZZZZZZzzzzzzz sound
    • Bomb-proof and Strong
    • Virtually impervious to the elements

brother on a mission
    Spanky. Check out Bikeman.com for better prices on the ENO. They are great to do business with, and are a local bike shop for a lucky few (not me).

-GF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitos
    as i am very close to buy this beauty, i wanted to know which part of the freewheel were replacable? cog, paws..?? and an idee of how much it cost
    thanks for your answer
    any advice on the rebuilding cost of the eno FW??

Whatever

Green trials one vs. regular red one

For technical XC riding, is the green trials one recommended? Other than more engagement points, is there a significant weight difference? What other differences?

I have King hubs on my geared bike and like the engagement vs. old Shimano hubs.

Steamroller

I partially agree

[QUOTE=Spanky Malone]...........................Like the others said though... absolutely the best. Only a set of CK singlespeed hubs with a Boone Ti sprocket would be better (though the Phil Wood followers would probably beg to differ).

I agree with CK hubs and Boone cog being better, but for best, the hubs would need to be Hadleys or maybe DT Swiss but, thats a whole different thread and it's been done.

If you can live with the limitations of a freewheel type cog, then yes, definately the White Ind. one is the way to go.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    Do you guys do any maintenance after wet/muddy rides? I heard some complaints about mucked up bearings (not able to rotate the freewheel by hand) when not using the freewheel for some weeks after a wet/muddy ride.

I have no complaints about mine but I did not use it yet in realy bad circumstances.

JJ
    It took more than a year before I had to repack the bearing because of water/mud intrusion. An ACS had to be relubed once a week in the winter.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitos
    thanks for your answer
    Every single part is replaceable. The cartridge bearing cost ~$8 direct from White. You need to ask them about the other parts, BUT...I have two years on one ENO FW and it show little wear and works great. Just needed to repack the bearing after two Oregon winters. The teeth look good as do the pawls and ratchet.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

get ENO!

W. I. freewheels hands down!
    They are the bomb. And bomb proof. Simple to take apart and clean if needed. The springs in mine finally are wearing out after 3 years. I got a new set from White for like $2 or $3. Like Shiggy stated, you can totally rebuild this freewheel. One Eno freewheel will last you through the life of probably 5 or 6 ACS which IMHO are KRAP.
    You will NEVER have an issue on a ride with an ENO.

Just do it.

mtbr member
    Yes it's totally worth it if you like a part that you install on your bike, abuse it and remain worry free. My last freewheel was an ACS and it lasted about 4-6 months before gunking up.
    Click That Sh*t

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

BZZZZZzzzzzzz...

Just curious...

Is this cool BZZZZZzzzzz sound like one of those Hugi hubs (and are they as loud)? I remember one of those on a tandem that I could hear a mile away! Is this because they have more pawls? Is louder necessarily mean better quality (with the exception of Shimano's "silent clutch")?

My Campy and old Dura Ace cassette hubs and are kinda loud. Does the W.I. hub sound much like that? Well probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Ridr
    Just curious...

Is this cool BZZZZZzzzzz sound like one of those Hugi hubs (and are they as loud)? I remember one of those on a tandem that I could hear a mile away! Is this because they have more pawls? Is louder necessarily mean better quality (with the exception of Shimano's "silent clutch")?

My Campy and old Dura Ace cassette hubs and are kinda loud. Does the W.I. hub sound much like that? Well probably not.
    No. The buzz is nothing like the old Hugi hubs.

It is a soft whirr. Quieter and nicer (IMO) than the CK whine.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    thanks shiggy and SSconny for the advice