White ENO hub vs. King SS Hub- Mtbr.com
    the original big ring

White ENO hub vs. King SS Hub

Building my first SS and I'm torn . . . . if I could afford it (will have to check with the wife!) what should I choose:

a white ind. ENO hub & freewheel ? (yep, I read the thread on the ENO currently going on)

or

a King SS hub with cog ?

I'm considering cost, weight, ride and longevity.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Think about whether you want to use discs? Or ever want to ride fixed.

As an expensive alternative look at Phil Wood. Otherwise there is Paul and Surly too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm in the process of building my own single speed and was looking for a lightweight reliable hub. Ultimately I decided on the Chris King SS disc hub only becuase they are pretty much bombproof. They really know how to build their stuff. Never had a problem with any of my King hubs. There are lighter hubs out there, but I don't think anything compares to them when you weigh all the qualities...relatively light, reliable and they just look cool, which is a bonus. They also have that smooth ratchet sound...some people think its loud...I personally like it. You can't go wrong with either one, though.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Barley
    Building my first SS and I'm torn . . . . if I could afford it (will have to check with the wife!) what should I choose:

a white ind. ENO hub & freewheel ? (yep, I read the thread on the ENO currently going on)

or

a King SS hub with cog ?

Cheers.
    To me the choice comes down to tensioner vs. no tensioner. I can't stand tensioners so it's a no-brainer. ENO.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

No Justice = No Peace

Eno

White makes a great hub, and you can get a disc model, even eccentric disc set up if you go that way, or plan to go that way.

My experience is that King hub Devotees often fail to mention that they need to service them much more often than other hubs. I have ridden Mavic and Shimano hubs for years with as little as a spot of oil in the pawls. I don't know that a King hub would have made it that long.

I'm currently running an ENO on my Bontrager, and I have to say, it is the slickest set up I have ever had the pleasure to ride. Not one problem so far, although I haven't ridden in we weather yet, I am confident it will last years, and service (bearing swap) looks like a snap.

Plus, they look cool, and the folks who answer the phone know the answers to your questions. If you have a problem with King, you need to go through a dealer, because the company feels that the lowly consumer is too much of a burden on their busy schedules.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

the original big ring
    To the replies above . . .

Nope, won't be riding fixed gears where I normally ride.

Yep, will be using disc brakes.

You don't need a tensioner using either the ENO or King SS hub (I'll be putting it on a 1x1).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

You don't need a tensioner using either the ENO or King SS hub (I'll be putting it on a 1x1).
    The ENO hub/FW will cost less, weight a bit more and last as long or longer. Probably easier to get, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What Shig said...

- I have put mine through a wet winter/spring and the Hub has required nothing other than cleaning. Same goes for the ENO Freewheel. I'm looking forward to Winter no. 2.

Enjoy!

Where's Toto?
    Suppose you already know this, but if you're putting it on a 1x1 (Surly) with horizontal drops, you don't need the eccentric version of the ENO. Also opens your choices up considerably. Lots of comparably priced, equally durable hubs on the market (eg Phil, Paul, or Spot). Mate 'em up with a White Industries ENO freewheel and you're golden. Can't say that I've ever heard of any of these brands failing - think they are all pretty burly. Freewheels on the other hand go south pretty quick. White's the only choice for durability.

I own King SS (non-disc) on my Spot 26" and had Phils+ENO FW on my Spot crosser. I doubt I'd buy Kings again and would probably stick with Phils.

mtbr member

Neither

Hadley is hands down the best nub on the market. Whites are nice for the price and Kings are over rated and over priced (owned them both). Hadley has the best engagement, they are light and bomb proof. What do most of the DH riders use?

If you have the duckets go for a Hadley hub and some Boone Bling

mtbr member

Speaking of the ENO...

Anyone know where I can get a FW removal tool for an ENO disc hub?

bike geek
    what should I choose:

a white ind. ENO hub & freewheel ?
    or
    a King SS hub with cog ?

Why just those two? Have you considered DT Swiss ? I've only been on mine for a month or two, so I can't speak on longevity yet, but mikesee on the 29er board swears by them vs. King, and they're a lot cheaper than Kings too. And available.

To me the choice is FW vs. Cassette, not so much ENO vs. King. I find cassette SS hubs to be much easier to use (changing cogs, etc) and they allow you to dial in your chainline if you've got a funky crankset by just shuffling the spacers around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    Hadley is hands down the best nub on the market. Whites are nice for the price and Kings are over rated and over priced (owned them both). Hadley has the best engagement, they are light and bomb proof. What do most of the DH riders use?

If you have the duckets go for a Hadley hub and some Boone Bling
    Do you know Hadley's website address? Been looking. Can't find it.

mtbr member

No good Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by jhendric
    Do you know Hadley's website address? Been looking. Can't find it.
    They do not have one! Really weird………. Check with Speed Goat, The Path or any quality shop and they can answer your questions. If they had a Web Site their sales would most likely double. Now who wants that?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Anyone know where I can get a FW removal tool for an ENO disc hub?
    You can get one here, bloody expensive but after I destroyed one freewheel (rip) it was money well spent...yes it does work better!

ENO REMOVAL TOOL

and for what it is worth, White Industries and Phil Wood have King beat, 8 speeds tied behind their backs.

!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I went the king way ....

I've just got a king hub for the ss, and I got it because I'm building my dream single speed .... maybe they're not the 'best', but they are the one I've always wanted. I've got an EBB frame, so won't be needing a tensioner anyway.

As for servicing them a lot, we will see. I don't really think it will be too much of an issue. I bought the service tool just incase though.

Do DT make a 6 bolt ISO single speed hub? I think I've only seen a centre lock version.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen
    Do DT make a 6 bolt ISO single speed hub? I think I've only seen a centre lock version.
    I don't believe they do for their OneSpeed hub. They do however, make this very trick adapter which works great.

mtbr member
    I've owned both and I have to say that, should I have to decide again, I would buy the ENO package. The King is nice; don't get me wrong. In three years I never had a single issue after the break-in period. The ability to make chainline adjustments (albeit, only three) is nice. It's pretty light, and that patented engagement is cool in theory, though I must admit I can't say it made that much prectical difference for me. I didn't like the limited availability of cogs, especially the steel ones, though there are a lot of aftermarket producers now. The deal breaker is the price. When it came time to build my first set of 29er wheels, I decided the King was just too costly for me to justify. So I bought SLR Phils which, when combined with the ENO freewheel, are even more expensive! Whatever, at least they have style, and they're shiny. Seriously, a good hub from White, Paul, Phil or any number of others plus the ENO fw is a great combo that's easy to work on and durable. The teeth on the fw are looking great after their first season, which is not something I could have said for the King cog I had; it was aluminum, though. It is tough to justify spending the cash on a fw, especially when you can't just pop the cog off and replace it with one with a different tooth count. There's not much one can do about chainline adjustment either. Both cost a decent amount of money, so choose, but choose wisely.

mtbr member

Eno

My avatar doesn't say ENO for nuthn'!

ENO

My name happens to be Ernesto, and I can also make it ErNestO. Get it?

ENO.

The word ENO flows just like a nice watery creek full of ice cold New Glarus Fat Squirrel beer.

I like my beer cold. My women Blonde, and my bikes with ENO.

Members who have read this thread: 0