Where in the world is Matt Chester?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Where in the world is Matt Chester?

His phone is disconnected and he does not seem to be responding to emails. I know he was having health problems and such. Is he alive? Has anyone received communication or product from him? Please help.

mtbr member

This should answer things for you

Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

banned
    Where is he? He is living off your money if you were unfortunate enough to give it to him.

He sure isn't making any bikes.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobomber
    His phone is disconnected and he does not seem to be responding to emails. I know he was having health problems and such. Is he alive? Has anyone received communication or product from him? Please help.
    he's hanging with Wade from (ex) Vulture Cycles, living the high life.

or not.

MC is active on his myspace page, fyi.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    he's hanging with Wade from (ex) Vulture Cycles, living the high life.

or not.

MC is active on his myspace page, fyi.
    Wade and Matt are building Jones bikes I hear.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Wade and Matt are building Jones bikes I hear.
    they live in Taiwan now?

mtbr member
    I bet he used all those deposits to finance a new rally racing team.

Jeez man, let it go. . . .

'Calm Down'
    Matt is alive and well as of several weeks ago. He answered my e-mail(s) within 24hrs and from what I understand, he's back building frames for those on the list. (He has a full time job and is working on frames when he can around his work schedule.)

jw

-

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I bet he used all those deposits to finance a new rally racing team.

Jeez man, let it go. . . .
    Let what go? I'm don't have a problem with anything, but it appears you do. Maybe you need to adhere to your own advice?

I'm not the one that took money for bikes that I didn't produce. It also doesn't take 10 years to get the job done. It is just the truth. That is all it is. Not much else to say about it, but it is not as if it doesn't need to be said and repeated.

I'm sorry it bothers you and/or creates a problem for you.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    they live in Taiwan now?

Specializing in two-speeded singlespeeds.

Out spokin'
    I don't respect people who don't communicate or perform well, especially when they've taken somebody's money.

I'm not saying Matt falls into this group. I never bought a frame from him and I never would. But if he does fall into this group, well, I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Let what go?
    Let this go:
    I'm not the one that took money for bikes that I didn't produce. It also doesn't take 10 years to get the job done. It is just the truth. That is all it is. Not much else to say about it, but it is not as if it doesn't need to be said and repeated.
    It does not bear repeating. Its not even your axe to grind, IIRC, other than your generalized pseudo-self righteous need to kick a guy when he is down.

banned
    Let this go:
    It does not bear repeating. Its not even your axe to grind, IIRC, other than your generalized pseudo-self righteous need to kick a guy when he is down.
    I have no idea what your concern is, and I don't care. I am not at all concerned with what your opinion is of Matt's situation or condition. I have nothing to, "let go". As I have stated, it is simply the truth and I believe that the truth DOES deserve to be repeated. Again, if you have some kind of issue with me or what others have to say about ANYTHING, then by all means, please IGNORE it. You are in charge... or are you?

mtbr member
    You are in charge... or are you?
    Ignorant judgementalism is a pet peeve of mine.

Retro Grouch

And from where does the ignorance spring?

Ignorant judgementalism is a pet peeve of mine.
    What am I missing here. First of all I see no judgementalism here at all. A judgement would be someone saying Mr Chester is a bad person; I haven't seen that. What people have said is I paid Mr Chester for a bicycle frame and 3 years later I still don't have one. Mr Chester has embezzled or at least diverted thousands of dollars and then lied about it. The check (bike) is in the mail. Where have we heard that before? If you have a contract with someone to produce a product and he diverts the fund to some other purpose that is a crime in most states; a felony of it's over $400. No PeanutButterBreath this is not something that needs to be "let go". This is a subject where you need to continually post, "Do not trust this man, do not give him any money, he is a crook." When seemingly concerned and forgiving people have tried to contact Mr Chester he lied to them. This is not the act of a person who is down on his luck, this is the action of a dishonest person. Perhaps you are to be congradulated for taking point for Mr Chester and you seem to know more about this than anyone else, but does that mean you are going to take responsibility for the money that was given to him in good faith and apparently being used for something other than making bike frames? What ever judgementalism that is going on here, ignorant or not, would end in a moment if Mr Chester would just come forward and and be honest with everyone he owes money to. Until he does that he might as well be using the money to buy drugs for all we know.

Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 04-21-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

|i|
    People seem to cut Chester a lot of slack because he's "cool". The silver lining is that he is no longer accepting new orders and his reputation is effectively ruined, so more people are not going to get screwed. In all of this, I think it's important to remember that there is a fine line between empathy and collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    What am I missing here. First of all I see no judgementalism here at all. A judgement would be someone saying Mr Chester is a bad person; I haven't seen that. What people have said is I paid Mr Chester for a bicycle frame and 3 years later I still don't have one. Mr Chester has embezzled or at least diverted thousands of dollars and then lied about it. The check (bike) is in the mail. Where have we heard that before? If you have a contract with someone to produce a product and he diverts the fund to some other purpose that is a crime in most states; a felony of it's over $400. No PeanutButterBreath this is not something that needs to be "let go". This is a subject where you need to continually post, "Do not trust this man, do not give him any money, he is a crook." When seemingly concerned and forgiving people have tried to contact Mr Chester he lied to them. This is not the act of a person who is down on his luck, this is the action of a dishonest person. Perhaps you are to be congradulated for taking point for Mr Chester and you seem to know more about this than anyone else, but does that mean you are going to take responsibility for the money that was given to him in goos faith and apparently being used for something other than making bike frames? What ever judgementalism that is going on here, ignorant or not, would end in a moment if Mr Chester would just come forward and and be honest with everyone he owes money to. Until he does that he might as well be using the money to buy drugs for all we know.

Brad

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If he announced today that he was taking deposits for new spots in his build queue, i'd be reaching for my checkbook.

mtbr member
    Pease not again ,,,

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    If he announced today that he was taking deposits for new spots in his build queue, i'd be reaching for my checkbook.
    And one day, I am almost certain he will. That is what one does when the money runs out. They come back to the cookie jar.

And luckily, as he has obviously learned, people like you will be there.

Retro Grouch

Why not just set up a welfare fund?

Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    That way those who want to help Mr Chester out of his current health and financial problems can do so without the current contractual obligations that are destroying his reputation. Then when he is finally up and running again you'll have the knowledge that you were able to help a legend who was down on his luck and maybe get a discount or a plaque.

Brad

mtbr member
    I hope that if you ever found yourself in a tight spot and were unable to live up to your own lofty standards, some of the "suckers" in the world would look past the vultures salivating over your destroyed reputations and show you a little human compassion.

|i|
    What he's doing is borderline criminal - this is not a lofty standard and having personal problems is not an excuse. Integrity and reputation should count for something in this community.

I hope that if you ever found yourself in a tight spot and were unable to live up to your own lofty standards, some of the "suckers" in the world would look past the vultures salivating over your destroyed reputations and show you a little human compassion.

mtbr member
    Criminal? Like slander? Glass houses.

From what I heard, the case of the litigious MC customer would be tenuous in civil court, much less criminal. Then again, I haven't heard of an actual MC customer wanting to take things in that direction. Just people like you who seem to get some sad, dark little joy out of piling on to the guy.

If integrity and reputation mean something to you, don't go about assaulting it lightly.

|i|
    Litigation would be tenuous because of the nature of doing business with a small, independent manufacturer. That's exactly the reason why reputation means something -- it's all we have to go on when buying from small companies. Accepting deposits or, in some cases, full payment and not delivering whilst cutting off communication is BS and you can't paint it any other way. If people are looking for charity cases, I would suggest starving children in Africa.

From what I heard, the case of the litigious MC customer would be tenuous in civil court, much less criminal. Then again, I haven't heard of an actual MC customer wanting to take things in that direction. Just people like you who seem to get some sad, dark little joy out of piling on to the guy.

If integrity and reputation mean something to you, don't go about assaulting it lightly.

'Calm Down'
    Dude, calm down. Did everyone fail to read my post? I believe those that need to are in contact with him. Why is everyone so concerned?

jw

Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Litigation would be tenuous because of the nature of doing business with a small, independent manufacturer. That's exactly the reason why reputation means something -- it's all we have to go on when buying from small companies. Accepting deposits or, in some cases, full payment and not delivering whilst cutting off communication is BS and you can't paint it any other way. If people are looking for charity cases, I would suggest starving children in Africa.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    I told ya'll once what's going on... Matt Chester is Casey Mears... Casey Mears is Matt Chester. See my photochopped theory on this moved thread over in Car & Biker:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=267743

P.S. Who knew we even had a Car & Biker forum??!!

Retro Grouch

Bad things happen to good people..

I understand this. And I'm sure Mr Chester would agree that it really doesn't matter what happnes to one in life, it's how you react and what you do about it. Integrity is how well you adhere to your values and reputation is how well your integrity is presented to those around you. So Mr Chester has feet of clay. Big deal, get over it.

Brad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a fully paid up member of the MC wait club. It just goes on and on...and on.
    A custom frame seemed like the ideal solution for me at the time. My advice now is to buy off the peg if you can.
    It'll take you places, but never get you anywhere

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by nubber
    I'm a fully paid up member of the MC wait club. It just goes on and on...and on.
    A custom frame seemed like the ideal solution for me at the time. My advice now is to buy off the peg if you can.
    Best of luck. When was the last time you heard anything from MC? How long before that did you give him your money?

Reading your advice makes me sad. That is, it's sad if your experience with MC has left you feeling that you can't trust custom builders.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0