Where do I go from here?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Where do I go from here?

So, I got a GT peace 26er about 6 months ago and love it. Its been very reliable, and for $200 you can't ask for more than that. But now I'm back to bike shopping . My brother has been riding a lot with me lately, and his walmart bike finally sh** the bed. So, I decided to buy a 29er ss, so I could let him use the peace. My spending limit is $600-$700, must be reliable, worthy of upgrading, and a 29er.

These are my options so far.
    -2015 cannondale trail sl 29 $700 not including shipping
    -Voodoo Bokor, db5 brakes, upgraded stem and bar, slx cranks, woodman hubs and headset, magic mary tires $600 includes shipping
    -Kona Unit, i think its a 13', Reba fork, 2X9 sram x9, velocity blunt wheels $750

I'm leaning towards the Voodoo because I can't go over $700 at this point. What do guys think? Also anyone bought anything from pinkbike buy/sell? it seems sketchy compared to using facebook.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Unit. I love my Kona. The geometry is just perfect for me.

And the one you listed has a nice suspension fork, upgraded wheels and a drivetrain upgrade. Someone obviously dumped a lot of money into it. Just make sure the seller has the singlespeed dropouts so you can return it to its former SS glory.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    this is the bike
    Where do I go from here?-kona-unit.jpg
    Only problem is I have $600 now. I will have the rest 2 weeks from now. Hopefully he still has it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure it's a 2011. Non tapered headtube. If you were to upgrade to a suspension fork and didn't already have the fork, it would be more difficult finding a straight steerer tube fork, but since it's got a Reba... no problem, right?

Here's my brother-in-laws' 2011 Unit:

Kona Unit single speed 29er, sz 18" by tk_1971, on Flickr

BTW, my BIL loves his Kona Unit. Says the Geo is perfect for him as well. You're like $150 short of asking price. Since your brother benefits from this by using your other bike, maybe he can pony up some money?

Call the seller and arrange to see it, then bargain with the guy. Let him know that it doesn't have a tapered head tube (limits the fork upgrades). Let him know that it's a 2011 model, not a 2013. Bike stores can often discount last year's models pretty significantly over MSRP (which is about $900 new) to about $750 (when I was buying my 2016 Unit, I could have gotten a 2015 Unit for $750 - new).

It's still a steel frame bike after all. In the configuration in the picture (with shifters, fork, etc), I estimate it to be in excess of 30 pounds in weight.

I think there's room to haggle with a $750 asking price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My brother is in high school so I know he can't help with the money. The kona owner does not live near here so I can't see it before purchasing. He also isn't responding to my messages at this point. What is your thoughts on the voodoo. Thanks for your help tk.

mtbr member
    The Voodoo is a good frame. What fork does it have on it? What wheelset?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    looks like wtb?
    Where do I go from here?-voodoo.jpg

Found a 2014 unit for $650 with shipping. I can't decide

Downcountry AF
    +1 Kona Unit. if you could score the one you posted that would be a sweet bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC88 View Post
    looks like wtb?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	voodoo.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	1075388

Found a 2014 unit for $650 with shipping. I can't decide
    Voodoo looks good. Rigid fork. SLX cranks, but stem is overkill and heavy. Wheels... If they can be made tubeless them go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Unit or Voodoo...both great options. You can sell the shifty bits off the Unit to recoup some cash.

Members who have read this thread: 0