Where to buy a single speed wheel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Where to buy a single speed wheel?

I searched all the major on-line retailers (Jenson, Performance, Nashbar, Pricepoint, Amazon, etc) and nobody seems to sell a single speed MTB (26") wheel. I found a few cruiser wheels with coaster breaks but that is not what I need.

The closest I've come is Harris Cyclery which will let you spec components and build a wheel for you (I'm sure dozens of other companies including LBS will do the same).

I looking for something cheap (<$100) for use on a beater winter commuter.

Paul

Yo.
    eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

BiciLA
    Dec 2008
    easiest and most versatile way to obtain a SS rear wheel, is to space out a freehub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Look on mtbr or craigslist.
    The easiest way is buy a spacer kit and convert your geared rear wheel to a ss like mrk mentioned. It should cost you $10

Quote Originally Posted by mrkdone
    easiest and most versatile way to obtain a SS rear wheel, is to space out a freehub.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Look on mtbr or craigslist.
    The easiest way is buy a spacer kit and convert your geared rear wheel to a ss like mrk mentioned. It should cost you $10
    I'm sorta doing that now. I have the chain around the middle chain ring in front and the middle cog in back. I did this because ice/snow kept building up and causing the chain to skip during my winter commute.

I can't do the spacer because it is a freewheel, not a freehub. Also, I think it would be nice to have a proper SS wheel. I may try to build one myself.

Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi, this is my first post... Woohoo!

Anyway, since you're freewheel you should be able to redish your wheel and center the hub on the axle with some hub spacers, which you could get free or cheap from a local bike kitchen or a really nice LBS. Once this is done you will have around a 42mm chainline if you install a bmx freewheel. All that will be left is to adjust your front chainline either by moving the chain ring to the other side of the spider, or installing a correctly shorter BB.

It's not all the difficult if you have access to a truing stand, some cone wrenches and a few other assorted tools.

If this is too much work or hassle, your LBS should have 40-50 dollar freehub wheels available, or your local bike kitchen may have some for half that or less. All that is left is to buy a spacer kit as some have suggested and you're off!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Post two!

One other option would be possible if you have a friend with a couple chain whips. Simply remove the cogs from the freewheel, cut some spacers from PVC to achieve a straight chainline; use the correct cog for desired gearing, and the small cog as a lock ring.

Cheap and janky to the rescue.

Members who have read this thread: 0