When you climb- Mtbr.com

Thread: When you climb

grasso e lento

When you climb

Do you find that you are standing more or do you force yourself to stay seated and push/power the hills.

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    Do you find that you are standing more or do you force yourself to stay seated and push/power the hills.

-Dude
    You gotta stand more or you will not make it up the hill. You also risk knee problems if you try to stay in the saddle all of the time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Steamroller

SStand to climb

I have to stand to climb any significant hills if they are steep at all. Just the opposite of when I occasionally ride my FS geary.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Cyclist

same here

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I have to stand to climb any significant hills if they are steep at all. Just the opposite of when I occasionally ride my FS geary.
    I'm the same as Mattman but on the long extended climbs, I sometimes sit for a short spell on the easier sections of the extended climb. But for the most part, it's stand and deliver.

Funny thing is, that is how I prefer to climb; Standing. In the long run, it feels much more efficient and allows better bike handling on the techy sections.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Depends on the grade. If I can keep my rate of spin and momentum up there, I like to motor up hills seated. A lot of times I end up standing and mashing to get over the crest. If it's a steeper grade, then I'm standing all the way.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

KRN
    mtbr member

Not only do I stand..

but I huff & puff my way that damn hill I try to get as much speed as I can going up it & try to keep as much as possible.

www.justthebonnet.com
    I have SS'd so much and I am used to climbing standing that when I ride the geary it feels ackward to sit and spin on climbs. My leg muscles feel more powerful and they have a longer capacity to climb while standing. Now on the geary I bonk quicker when I spin on hills. I can stand and climb for awhile.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stand up and power through it. Just seems like the more natural solution.

grasso e lento

Ok then what about this

Thanks for the feedback...

Now what about this..... I have noticed that when standing I am stronger if I bring my hips forward with me and stretching out my arms rather than staying a little hunched over. Do you find that your "standing" is more form over function or function over form?

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

JRA
    mtbr member

Weak upper body

I have such a relatively weak upper body, even after riding SS for several years, that I attempt to stay seated as long as I can keep the RPH ticking over consistantly. Stand and deliver when I can't do that but I know that I quickly loose all form once I have to stand and put some real power to the pedals. I'm in awe of the folks who can stand up and power the hills for what seems like forever.

www.justthebonnet.com
    When I stand I usually lean out over the bars so my legs get full extension, imagine your body at a 45 degree angle if that helps. This way I can push with one foot hard and pull out with the other foot. I can do this at a rapid pace and go faster than just mashing on the pedals.
    Keeping your arms straight and back straight helps with this also, just pure leg power strokes. Now it the hill is techincal I will stand more upright and use my arms to work the bike over terrain and really pull up on the bars with some authority.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Cracker-magnon
    Now what about this..... I have noticed that when standing I am stronger if I bring my hips forward with me and stretching out my arms rather than staying a little hunched over. Do you find that your "standing" is more form over function or function over form?
    I use a range of positions. I find that if I am farther back, I use my core/lower/upper back more. The more I move my hips forward, the more dependent I become on arm/shoulder strength. Some times it is nice to be able to move to give one group a rest for a bit. Trips to the weight room help a great deal. I usually do not work out my legs, other than riding, unless I am going through a dry-spell.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

I find that I need to stay more centered on the bike, or a lose traction big time. It's natural for me to get out over the bars when hitting the steeper stuff, but am quickly reminded to get some weight on that rear tire. On technical climbs, it can be a fun balancing act, actually popping mini-wheelies to keep the rear end hooked up.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

That's what I do...

-Dude
    I try to envision the straightest vertical line possible for my body rather than hunching. Seems like I generate more power on the downstroke, likely because I'm using more of my full body weight on the pedals. It only helps when you start adding in the assistance of the upper body pulling up on the bars.

So yeah...I feel like "form" is very important here. But that's just what it feels like to me.

-Que?

mtbr member

I skip

Me? I get off my bike and skip uphill like a sissy, as I pluck the petals off a flower saying: she loves me, she loves me not...

I'd stand, that way you'll get more powah out of your stroke. Um, the pedal stroke.

34N 118W

positions

Now what about this..... I have noticed that when standing I am stronger if I bring my hips forward with me and stretching out my arms rather than staying a little hunched over. Do you find that your "standing" is more form over function or function over form?-Dude
    I bring my hips forward towards the bars sometimes, helps stretch the lower back. And sometimes out of my peripheral vision I glance down and pretend my stem is a big black.......thingy. So I got that goin' for me too.

HW

mtbr member

and...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I bring my hips forward towards the bars sometimes, helps stretch the lower back. And sometimes out of my peripheral vision I glance down and pretend my stem is a big black.......thingy. So I got that goin' for me too.

HW
    and while you pretend that your stem is a big black thingy, in your head, do you play "Turn Me Loose" by Loverboy?