wheelsets...- Mtbr.com

Thread: wheelsets...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

wheelsets...

ok, i am slowly peicing together a new ride for the spring. its the first time that i am actually picking all the parts. right now i am currently running a 5 year old chameleon w/ marzoccho atom z1 SS. . .

the new ride is going to be an
    evil sovereign (long or reg i dont know yet)
    forks will MOST likely be an RS pike

now the next part is going to be hubs/wheels. . .

what single speed hubs are you guys running, or are you just getting the conversion kits?

what would you guys suggest? i am hoping to get a wheelset thats somewhat strong AND ligth for around $500. it will be used for DJ/park/single track all about the same.

(remember with the PIKE has a 20mm maxle )

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    my only thinking here is if you want a strong rear wheel build it with a SS specific rear hub. the wider spacing between hub flanges will make for a stronger wheel build.

for the front maybe save some cash and use your current wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i have a pre-made surly wheel that has held up pretty good. i was looking into getting something with a cassette and not freewheel, purely for the bling factor

i definetly need a new front wheel since im looking to get a fork with a 20mm thru axle.

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaare
    i was looking into getting something with a cassette and not freewheel, purely for the bling factor
    there is always a white industries freewheel (a freewheel with bling). or a SS cassette hub.

No Justice = No Peace

White Industries

I'm running ENO and Racer X hubs on my SS. I see you don't need an ecentric, but I got to say, they run so super smooth, and build up so nice, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't use one. I also like the high polished bling factor, and if you use a lot of anti-seize and the correct tool, swapping freewheels is no big deal.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Boyeeee
    You might want to look at a front hub that can be converted from QR to 20mm and back (like the Hop Bulb).

Members who have read this thread: 0