wheelset recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

wheelset recommendations

An old rockhopper (1987?) is being reincarnated as my new SS commuter / fire-road bike, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent but cheap 26" SS wheelset?

Looking forward to 1 gear,

K

Retro Grouch

XT/ Rhyno lite

Quote Originally Posted by kev1n
    An old rockhopper (1987?) is being reincarnated as my new SS commuter / fire-road bike, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent but cheap 26" SS wheelset?

Looking forward to 1 gear,

K
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx
    A real good place to start.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad

I'll second that. XT/rhynolites are a nice combination.
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Custom User Title
    What is the difefrence between wheels with 32 spokes and 36 spokes? it's not a weight vs strength issue is it? i mean 4 extra spokes dont exactly weight a great deal? I see both types advertised, with varieties of spoke lacing paterns. I know for disc hubs you need to lace it a certain way, but just dont know enough. Help!

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudgerboy
    What is the difefrence between wheels with 32 spokes and 36 spokes? it's not a weight vs strength issue is it? i mean 4 extra spokes dont exactly weight a great deal? I see both types advertised, with varieties of spoke lacing paterns. I know for disc hubs you need to lace it a certain way, but just dont know enough. Help!
    32 vs 36? I just recently had a new wheelset built by hand and it was laced to 36 hole hope XC hubs. compared to factory built 32 hole XT hubs laced to rhynolites, this wheelset feels alot stronger with alot less flex. I feel real sturdy on this wheelset.
    To go even further I have had another wheelset built, chris king iso hubs 32 hole laced to sun single track rims. I havent ridden on these wheels yet but it will be an interesting comparison. If I had a preference, I would stick to 36hole for a little more strength but if you dont have the option a decent set of 32hole rims will also do just fine.
    Im sure there are dozens of people on this forum that will swear by 32 or 36 hole. Personal preference and experience will speak for itself.
    Goodluck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx
    A real good place to start.

1G1G, Brad
    Those SingleTrack rims are disc specific. I doubt that his '87 Rockhopper has discs.

Steamroller

Stock wheels?

Do you still have the stock wheels? I'm not a huge fan of conversions but if you are doing one and trying to keep it cheap. Using some old spacers and a cog and converting the stock wheel will be cheapest.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Those SingleTrack rims are disc specific. I doubt that his '87 Rockhopper has discs.
    my apologies

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies.

The bike won't work with disc brakes- it has *chainstay* mounted canti's in the back. Yes. Chainstay.

Anyway, I currently have no wheels for this bike. I'm pretty sure it's going to need new cranks as well. I've got a set of truvativ (2004?) isis cranks that I might try to use, if I can't find a deal.

I'd prefer to not do a conversion, but also want to get by on the cheap-cheap for this one. Maybe try to build somethign with a surly fix-free hub in the back. Then I can be 1/2 way dangerous.

Members who have read this thread: 0