Wheels, wheels, wheels- Mtbr.com
    Single Speed Nation

Wheels, wheels, wheels

I'm going to be building a set of 26" wheels.

I'm looking for lightness and strength. Money is not really a factor in this wheelset.

Qualities I'm looking for in the rear hub are:

SS specific. My bike has vertical dropouts, but a eccentric BB.
    9 mm QR
    instant engagement
    As silent & drag free as possible (therefore no Chris King)
    Light weight is an asset

As far as the rim is concerned, maximum strength to weight ratio here. I'd go with strength over weight if a compromise is necessary.

And then, because it is pointless to build a light wheelset, and ruin it with a set of heavy tires, new tires. I'm looking for about 2.125 - 2.3 tires. Most of my riding is slickrock, rooty, dirt, with some nice sections of mud included.

Go nuts...

All 26.5" all the time!
    Paul or Phil hubs with an ENO freewheel.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Not sure how you'd get instant engagement and silent/drag free, but i'd maybe look at the DT Swiss 240s hubs with the upgraded engagement. I have those hubs and they've been absolutely awesome over the 4 years that i've had them. They are very quiet and i think they spin extremely free.

mtbr member
    The White Industry ENO freewheel isn't silent. I think it might be louder than my king hub, but not as loud as the I9. With that said, I think the ENO freewheel is the best sounding hub that I have heard. Why are you wanting a silent hub? The DT swiss 240s is pretty quiet, light and has decent engagement. I haven't tried the 36 Step Star Ratchet Upgrade Kit yet, However I do have one ordered. I think the 240s might be the closest hub to the one that you described.
    Dropbar SS Mamasita
    XTC Composite 29
    CruX
    Anthem X 29
    Unknown trials bike

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tdee
    The White Industry ENO freewheel isn't silent. I think it might be louder than my king hub, but not as loud as the I9. With that said, I think the ENO freewheel is the best sounding hub that I have heard. Why are you wanting a silent hub? The DT swiss 240s is pretty quiet, light and has decent engagement. I haven't tried the 36 Step Star Ratchet Upgrade Kit yet, However I do have one ordered. I think the 240s might be the closest hub to the one that you described.
    Let us know how you like it. I still havent done it, but i was thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Take a look at I9 hubs for fast engagement. As ISAR said, the DT Swiss 240 hub is very nice, very durable, and very light.

So far as tires go, take a look at Continental's Mountain King Supersonic tires. They're a true 2.2 and are at or below 500g each. They also have terrific grip, almost as good as Stick-E Nevegals. They also rool very fast. Run those with some 130g light weight tubes and you'll be happy.

openwound
    Hadley. They have a nice sound, not too loud and great engagement, too. I've got a 240 on my other ss and have done the upgrade to the guts. It's a nice hub, too, but despite being a little heavier the Hadley's are more impressive.

I used Syncros DP25 rims, Hadley hubs, and DT Revolutions/alloy nips for my SISS. Very happy with the build.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    I'm looking for lightness and strength. Money is not really a factor in this wheelset.
    Disc or rim brake? Freewheel or Freehub?

I'm a big fan of White Industries hubs. They are thread-on freewheel in the rear.

Build mine up with DT Revolution spokes and Mavic 717-discs. ReallyeFfinLight.

I run a Shimano DX freewheel, which is pretty much silent.... unless you ride through a lot of water and mud. Then it gets a little grindy. But for $10/ea, who cares?

mtbr member
    A bud recent;y made the ratchet upgrade on his 240 hub...it made it louder. Not King/Hope/I9 loud, but loud.

For silence and good engagement, I think you're looking at the True Precision Stealth hub.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    A bud recent;y made the ratchet upgrade on his 240 hub...it made it louder. Not King/Hope/I9 loud, but loud.

For silence and good engagement, I think you're looking at the True Precision Stealth hub.
    Interesting.... wonder how they achieve that. I wonder if it's some sort of sprag clutch.

openwound
    The only difference in the 240 ratchet upgrade is the number of teeth. I don't notice that much, if any, additional noise. I still think it's a pretty quiet hub -- when compared to something like a King.

Single Speed Nation
    I'm glad someone posted the True Precision Stealth hub.

I'd seen it somewhere else, but could not for the life of me remember what it was. But it contains the qualities that I'd like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Interesting.... wonder how they achieve that. I wonder if it's some sort of sprag clutch.
    I believe it is a clutch drive system of some sort. Shimano used to have a silent clutch hub too that was about LX level.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If I remember right it uses a sort of planetary roller setup... They were at sea otter last year and had a hub torn apart. The free hub is fixed to a central shaft, which is surrounded by 3(?) smaller rollers. The hub shell is shaped such that during pedaling the three rollers bind between it and the shaft creating a solid coupling. During coasting the rollers release and decouple the hub shell from the free hub. It was a really slick feeling setup on the table, silent, smooth and damn near instant engagement. I didn't get to ride one and get it dirty though...

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckedrex
    If I remember right it uses a sort of planetary roller setup... They were at sea otter last year and had a hub torn apart. The free hub is fixed to a central shaft, which is surrounded by 3(?) smaller rollers. The hub shell is shaped such that during pedaling the three rollers bind between it and the shaft creating a solid coupling. During coasting the rollers release and decouple the hub shell from the free hub. It was a really slick feeling setup on the table, silent, smooth and damn near instant engagement. I didn't get to ride one and get it dirty though...
    yea, that's a sprag clutch, more or less. We used to use those in transmissions for dragsters, but on a much bigger scale. I've been planning on making a hub like that for quite some time, but looks like someone beat me to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You could always make one anyways but actually make it light, something the True Precision hubs lack.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    You could always make one anyways but actually make it light, something the True Precision hubs lack.
    problem is they can potentially slip if you don't have a pretty solid clutch. The smaller ones have very low torque ratings.

Single Speed Nation
    Has anyone ever heard of any slippage problems on the precision hubs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just received my Paul WORD hub, and I'm pretty impressed. It has a very wide flange spacing for a stronger wheel. The bolts and washers it comes with are also extremely heavy. After switching to titanium bolts and White Ind. washers, the hub only weighs 195g! Considering a 16t White FW weighs 158g and a 18t weighs 181g, you're looking at a very competitive weigh vs. a freehub.

Yo.
    Has anyone ever heard of any slippage problems on the precision hubs?
    They seem to be pretty highly regarded in the BMX community, and if anyone could get that hub to slip, it'd be on a BMX start line ATMO.

And @ ISAR, I recall another thread somewhere referring to True Precision's internals as essentially being a Sprag clutch, so your assessment is spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

Single Speed Nation
    Does anybody know how much the True Precision Stealth rear hub weighs? It's not indicated on their website.

Also, what would you guys pick as a decent second, for a little less money? Aren't hadleys instant engagement, while being on a little louder?

mtbr member
    Paul hubs

http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...cat=333&page=1

Stans ZTR 355 or Alpine rim

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/203...Alpine-Rim.htm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...TR-355-Rim.htm

DT Revolution Spokes

http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...cat=360&page=1

Brightly colored alloy nipples (Mine are purple)

http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...cat=361&page=1

my new wheelset is going to have paul hubs, stans 355 rims purple alloy nipples, and DT competition spokes in black
    Ride & Smile

openwound
    I just did a quick comparison of my hadley and dt-swiss hubs -- the hadley is quieter.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    They seem to be pretty highly regarded in the BMX community, and if anyone could get that hub to slip, it'd be on a BMX start line ATMO.

And @ ISAR, I recall another thread somewhere referring to True Precision's internals as essentially being a Sprag clutch, so your assessment is spot on.
    Slow power climbs develop an assload of torque, especially with mountain bike gearing, which is what I'd be concerned about. But I'm sure they have an adequately sized clutch in there. The only problem with that is with size comes weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Not sure how you'd get instant engagement and silent/drag free, but i'd maybe look at the DT Swiss 240s hubs with the upgraded engagement. I have those hubs and they've been absolutely awesome over the 4 years that i've had them. They are very quiet and i think they spin extremely free.
    Careful with those... mine's as loud a King with the ratchet upgrade. I love the hub but not what I'd call quiet...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Does anybody know how much the True Precision Stealth rear hub weighs? It's not indicated on their website.

Also, what would you guys pick as a decent second, for a little less money? Aren't hadleys instant engagement, while being on a little louder?
    My hadley is a whole lot quieter than my brothers hope, and engages a bit quicker (not like a king or i9 though). It's actually pretty quiet, something like shimano noise levels.

mtbr member

found some info in an older thread here. 496g for the standard MTB hub

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    496g for the standard MTB hub
    Ouch!

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Ouch!
    That's like 1/3 the weight of my whole wheelset!

Single Speed Nation
    Okay, maybe the precisions are out. they're a little on the pricey side, anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbonan
    check DT swiss hubs herelighter and efficient!
    one step ahead of you... that's what my bike already has and I love it

Members who have read this thread: 0