Wheel Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wheel Question

mtbr member

Wheel Question

I am building a 29er single speed. Already picked up a Jaberwocky frame. Thinking of a wheel set next.

Should I get a single speed specific wheel set or a conventional wheel set and add spacers? What are the pros/cons?

Link to single speed wheel set MTB 29 TUBELESS SINGLE SPEED

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I can only comment on my reasoning for what I have used which is an eight or nine speed hub with spacers. My thought process has been that these hubs and cogs are easy and cheap to come by and if you are really in a bind you can borrow a rear wheel from your buddies spare geared bike. Hope this helps you out.

mtbr member
    I have a single speed hub with an ENO freewheel. I got the wheelset really cheap, but in hindsight I would have rather gone with a standard freehub and spacers. Being able to dial in the chainline by moving spacers around is super easy, and very handy.

mtbr member
    Singlespeed specific hub will build up a stronger wheel with almost zero dish. My Paul WORD hub'd rear wheel has NEVER been trued, and I'm a 200+lb rider.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have several rear wheels with cassette hubs that have never needed being trued and I'm a 200+ rider.

SS specific wheels are surely stronger, but geared hubs are a lot more practical and if you sell the hub/wheel later, it appeals to a larger audience.

Former Bike Wrench
    I would either get a freehub body style single speed hub (the kind you can also run a shortened multi speed cassette on) or a regular multi-speed hub. Both allow you to adjust the chain line and give you the option of running gears or swapping to a different bike.

BTW-the linked AC wheel is a freehub body style single speed hub as mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Go with a SS specific freehub wheel. They're just a lot easier to change cogs on (cheaper too) and to adjust your chain line. The SS specific ones are generally dishless, which makes for a stronger and stiffer wheel. Don't worry about resale value or the audience size, since there are plenty of SS riders out there, and you won't have any problems selling it.

mtbr member
    I'm facing the same question. I'm building an SS 29er this winter, and I already have a geared 29er. I'm going with a standard 8/9 speed cassette for that reason -- I can swap wheels back and forth as needed.

mtbr member

What Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat View Post
    Singlespeed specific hub will build up a stronger wheel with almost zero dish. My Paul WORD hub'd rear wheel has NEVER been trued, and I'm a 200+lb rider.
    Hey MellowCat,

Santa is bringing me a set of Paul hubs for my XXIX and I need to pick out some rims to lace them to. . What rims are you running? I'm also 200+

Oh, for the OP, I think that SS specific hubs with a single cog or freewheel is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    Santa is bringing me a set of Paul hubs for my XXIX and I need to pick out some rims to lace them to. . What rims are you running? I'm also 200+
    I'm not 200+ pounds, but the Mavic 719 rim is quite strong, while still staying reasonably light. It's a good all mountain rim which makes an excellent xc rim for a clyde.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I'm not 200+ pounds, but the Mavic 719 rim is quite strong, while still staying reasonably light. It's a good all mountain rim which makes an excellent xc rim for a clyde.
    Thanks.. I should have mentioned that I run my current wtb rims ghetto tubeless w/gorilla tape and maxxis Ardent 2.4s. Any info on how the Mavics mount tubeless? I will do a forum search now.

Sorry to hijack the thread.