What's your go-to winer workout for SS training???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

What's your go-to winer workout for SS training???

What ONE exercise seems to have the most benefit when you can't climb outside on your singlespeed? There is one that works for me more than all others, curious if others have the same feeling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Lifting the tv remote?

mtbr member
    Low cadence, high torque intervals out of the saddle on my smart trainer feels just like climbing on a singlespeed

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Mostly it's about maintaining my base. That's accomplished best on my rollers. No climbing, I know, but the base stays somewhat intact.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    I don't know if this is SS specific, but strengthening more core has helped a lot to ride strong for long miles. Planks, lunges, squats, crunches, etc.

Alternatively, move South.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I don't know if this is SS specific, but strengthening more core has helped a lot to ride strong for long miles. Planks, lunges, squats, crunches, etc.

Alternatively, move South.
    Very, very far south. NC has been abnormally cold and snowy. The median temperature here outside of Charlotte is 52* but we are nowhere near that lately and there's a bunch of white stuff everywhere. Uggghhh

Normally, you'll get a cold snap or some brief snow which means you get to ride a lot.

mtbr member
    ONE exercise is too limiting so this year I'm doing splitboarding, XC skiing, running, a good core routine, and maybe a couple short low cadence workouts a week on the trainer.

The previous three years I tried doing a lot of SS simulation on the trainer during the winter but for some reason my SS fitness never got that great. The first few epic days on the SS were full of stupid amounts of suffering--something clearly was missing with my trainer efforts and all that time spent being a hamster on a wheel was mentally abusive. I found the fitness returns quickly so I do what's fun when I can't ride the SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Core, hips, back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dirt Bound
    Oh sweet baby Jesus, don't let me down people.

mtbr member
    Shagging.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude View Post
    Shagging.
    In the right positions this can help with core strength, which is key for climbing. If your (or your partner's) stamina is good enough, it can help with cardio as well. All that said, planks, lunges, and squats will help if this is not an option for you. I've found that I feel much faster a couple months into the season if I spend the first few months I CAN ride again recovering from my 12 oz curl routine.

Always in the wrong gear
    If I could only choose ONE SINGLE exercise to do instead of riding, I'd probably choose deadlifts, or cleans.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Move to Co Springs, do Buckhorn- Trail 666 ( aka magic green fishy trail) - Red rock - sect. 16- REPEAT. That oughta do it!

mtbr member
    I switched the road bike that I use for commuting over to a SS.

slamma
    May 2005
    Training for SS = Training on single speed

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KDuPthsuVfqCzoNu1
    oh, and kettebells year round
    visions come not to polluted eyes.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude View Post
    Shagging.
    Makes sense. I have to get off and walk when I'm doing that too.
    When dystopian fantasies are turned into documentaries — WCGW? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was curious about that. Been twenty plus years since I did any type of deadlift routine. I think it would be the single most effective exercise for core recruitment and overall strength. Going to work on loosening up the hamstrings and start that program this year. Going to go slow, at 54, the bones ain't as supple as they used to be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My standard trainer workout in past years has been to do 15:00 sets of threshold work, and a day of high pressure, high torque. I just didn't have it last year, so I thought I would change it up. Starting in Nov when the days were short, I bit the bullet and started doing a day of 1-hour base rides with the next ride being a 1999 5-workout Fred Matheny training plan that involves all the muscles and ways to work your heartrate. A little over 2 months in I did a road ride this past weekend and got tired on the climbs, but was immediately ready to go after the effort stopped, which has not been there for a while. I think the trend to ignore base training is probably past.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    on a good elliptical on hill repeat mode I ignore the arm things and hold onto top of screen or stationary grips. Lean forward, bend knees a little bit and stay on balls of feet. If you close your eyes it almost feels like you are standing on a long climb - then 10 minutes later its boring but I find it works as a break from the trainer. otherwise ride in the snow/cold. Lift weights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Ride a heavy geared bike up steep long hills on snow and ice.

And clear down trees.
    Western Montana

WNC Native
    Trying a 5x5 workout plan this winter. Lots of squats and deadlifts.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I'm getting more interested in that. Let us know how it goes.
    When dystopian fantasies are turned into documentaries — WCGW? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I'm getting more interested in that. Let us know how it goes.
    Will do. MY wife and I are doing the program together. I haven't lifted any over the past 5-6 years,so we started off light and are creeping up (trying to nail down form before we get to serious weight). Little over a month in and am just now getting into decent weight. So far, we both are loving the program and it doesn't consume a lot of time to do it.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Training? Isn't that something drug taking gearies do?

(Sorry, not drugs, I mean those special vitamins Lance took).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cross country skiing. If there isn't enough snow to ski, then there isn't too much to ride!

slamma
    May 2005
    Kettlebell swings are probably the best exercise to supplement cycling , imho.

mtbr member
    Gravel bike on rollers... amazing workout and really builds your core/quads.

mtbr member
    Why waste time training when winter is when all the best fun is to be had on a bike?

Just done a 24 hour on my SS. That sets me up for the start of the year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Can't really answer this question without knowing about your own state of fitness. The best exercise would be one that would target your weakness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    this topic is very anti-singlespeed aside from the comments on shagging and 12oz curls.

training should be discussed on the roadie forum

that said; when it ain't muddy, i am riding my bike. there is no off-season from having fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride -- one of the very few benefits of living in California.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm in Pasadena CA so it's not that cold but I've always felt winter leg training is important. I usually do weights 4-5x a week throughout the year anyway and gym is just a normal habit. In the winter since I don't get that many weekday rides in I dedicate at least 1 gym training a week on legs. The basics(Squats,Lunges,Press,Extensions,Curls and Calves) plus I like to do extra like block step up holding dumbbells or non weighted block jumps. ll I also like to hold the bar, or dumbbell above my head to engage the core more while I lunge. Keep in mind none of this is done with heavy weight and reps are always 10-15 with sets of 3-5 depending on intensity. Always warm up and roll it out and stretch. Sorry to bore you guys but I'm just really a big fan of keeping fit and having the ability to ride all the time.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    this topic is very anti-singlespeed aside from the comments on shagging and 12oz curls.

training should be discussed on the roadie forum

that said; when it ain't muddy, i am riding my bike. there is no off-season from having fun.
    I agree, hence my previous comments.

Singlespeed racing is a true amateur activity, like back in the glory days when sport was for gentlemen who regarded training as something the lower orders did, ie roadies.

There is no off season.

jct
    mtbr member
    kettlebell swings and squats.

and plenty of riding since it's practically summer here in the bay area.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I've been doing Starting Strength for almost 2 months now, and like how the focus is on form as you progress through light weights to start with.
    3 days of squats was easy at the beginning, but now that I am at heavier weights, I had to cut back to 2 days for more recovery and add in a couple of riding days as well. Record warm here in Durango
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    I've been doing Starting Strength for almost 2 months now, and like how the focus is on form as you progress through light weights to start with.
    3 days of squats was easy at the beginning, but now that I am at heavier weights, I had to cut back to 2 days for more recovery and add in a couple of riding days as well. Record warm here in Durango
    That program works amazingly well if you follow it. I started it in college when I weighed around 150 and was fairly weak. After lifting for a few years, I got my bench, squat, and deadlift 1 rep max total to just under 1,300 pounds.

I moved to more complex programs, but starting strength was the foundation.

I've given lifting up to focus on biking, but I believe having the background in lifting makes a big difference on riding singlespeeds. Low cadence mashing up a steep climb isn't too different from a deadlift.

WNC Native

Yep, we are enjoying it as well. My wife is a stickler for correct form, so combination of her watching me like a hawk and the program start has been effective on nailing down my form.
    I will possibly back off some on the squats once riding season gets back going here, but this has been a perfect winter to do this program. Local trail conditions are sh*t right now.

I'm no stranger to lifting, but I haven't ever messed with squats and dead lifts in the past (for a various number of reasons). I've always had fairly strong and decent sized legs, so I've just let riding take care of my legs in the past. Will be interesting to see how it helps on the bike.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Heavy lifts using the Dan John rule of 10 and adjust weight accordingly between 85%-95% 1 rep max and also knock out some spin bike work. Starting Strength and 5x5 are also awesome programs. Then I just ride whenever the weather and time allows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Crossfit will make you much stronger for SS riding. I was into it from 2005-2010 and continue to reap benefits when doing stuff like SS MTB.

But I fell out of that. Now I go the the rock climbing gym. Its fun and you get a great core intensive workout. SS requires more core strength.

Though you can never really go wrong doing heavy squats and deadlifts...unless your form is not good and you injure yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    That program works amazingly well if you follow it. I started it in college when I weighed around 150 and was fairly weak. After lifting for a few years, I got my bench, squat, and deadlift 1 rep max total to just under 1,300 pounds.
    My college age son turned me onto the program, he is using it to gain some weight. Went from around 145 lbs to just over 160 lbs in 3 months.
    I agree with those who say core strength is a big part of improving your SS, I have found that to be the case as well. IMHO, Starting Strength or Strong Lift (or the like) are very core intensive, with the majority of exercise being compound movements.
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    My college age son turned me onto the program, he is using it to gain some weight. Went from around 145 lbs to just over 160 lbs in 3 months.
    I agree with those who say core strength is a big part of improving your SS, I have found that to be the case as well. IMHO, Starting Strength or Strong Lift (or the like) are very core intensive, with the majority of exercise being compound movements.
    I was about 215 by the time I graduated lol. Became very difficult to find jeans that fit with a 34" waist and 30" quads lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I was about 215 by the time I graduated lol. Became very difficult to find jeans that fit with a 34" waist and 30" quads lol.
    I have a different issue completely, finding jeans for a 31" waist and 36" length. Luckily I have no quads or ass to contend with
    Craig, Durango CO