mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Whats your "average SS ride" distance

Hey all,
    Ive been doing some longer SS rides lately 20+ miles.

I have a quick 45 minute 8.5 mile loop thats awesome for a quick turn and burn, I do this about 2-3 times a week.

Thinking about some 40+ mile rides...but I get lonely.

So whats an "average SS ride" equate too in your cycling journal?

mtbr member
    Average MTB SS outing: 3 hrs = 50 km. Did 113km, 6 1/2 hrs last weekend. That was long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My average SS ride is generally between 36 and 50km, with between 500m and 700m of elevation

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Time is the limiting factor for me, but 2-3 times a week I will do a 2.5-3.5 hour ride at an average 10-10.5 mph pace nonstop. I will mix in some speed or strictly hill climbing work when I get the time which usually is 1-1.5 hours of flat out hard as I can go on that particular trail.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I try and get out once a week and 2.5-3hrs feels good. 500-1000m of climbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Around 30km (time limited), trying to pack as much climbing and fun descents in as possible. I'd probably do the same if geared due to a little one at home but SS gives you so much more bang for your buck in terms of smiles

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I average 3 16 mile rides a week, with an average elevation gain of 1,280 ft.

mtbr member
    I generally stick around 15 miles. 15 is a good ride where I live, we have some really techy trails and a lot of the riding is crawling through rock gardens. Time depends on who I am riding with and how often they want to stop and BS. I have done a couple rides where we connect 2 trail systems, both very techy with punchy climbing, and it equals out to around 38 miles. It wrecks my upper body but feels so good when you're done.

mtbr member
    15-20 miles with only about 700-1000 feet. So pretty flat.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    For rides during the week, I typically ride around 10-20 miles. If it's a group ride at a slow pace, it will be closer to 10 miles. If it's a solo ride it will be closer to 20.

On weekends when I have the time, I like to get 20+. Longest so far is 34 miles, and going to shoot for 40 tomorrow. Limiting factor is typically my fiancé since she rides with me. A lot of times she'll sleep in the car while I go for a 10-15 mile ride and then join me for the rest of the ride.

I also do short intense rides to train for races.

Trails around here have roughly 100' of climbing per mile.

Wanna ride bikes?
    average? MTB: 2.5-3.5 hours, 100-150ft of vertical per mile. occasionally i'll do a short loop 1.5-2 hour hammerfest with lots of climbing, and occasionally i'll do 4-5 hour rides at a slower pace.

cross: 2-4 hours average, but i'll do some longer rides on a whim. 60+ miles with not a ton of climbing. sadly there are really no fire roads around here so it's either singletrack or rail trail. I try to throw in a mix of both so it's not too boring and i can still get some climbing in.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

SS Pusher Man
    30-40 miles 2-3 days a week during the week. Min. of 100' per mile. Weekends 50+ miles w/ 150'+ per mile.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Ahhh the pain....
    All over the map... like the others have posted, if I have 1 hour to ride I shred my legs after I get a nice warmup. But on a weekend or day when I have lotsa time, i'll ride 6-8 hours.
    If your goal is to get faster, don't worry about time in the saddle...worry about intensity. You can spend 4-6 quality hours a week and get wicked fast vs someone spending 12 at an endurance pace.

The perfessor
    Whatever I have strength for that particular day.......sometimes, just ride 8, other days I ride 20........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL / Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Saturday's I ride the single 3-6 hours depending on the family plan for the day. During the week it's either short road rides or geared rides near the house. For good SS rides, I have to drive a few min. Too busy during the week these days to drive for a ride.

psycho cyclo addict
    More often 15-20 mi. Big rides for me can be anything between 35-90 miles.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Between 10 and 25 miles, with anywhere from 1500 to 2500 feet of elevation gain. Don't have the time or legs for much more unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Today 57 miles and 7,000 feet of climbing.....that was a big ride for me. During the week shorter distance but more climbing....maybe 15 miles and 2,500 feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    20ish has been hitting a sweet spot for me. At that distance I can stay on the gas the whole way while attacking climbs and not really having to pace myself. Getting into the low 30s has me finishing in slow motion, though, so I've been focusing on building more endurance while back issues have me temporarily limited to training on the pavement.
    Blows me away the mileage and elevation(geez, DeeZee) some of you guys are knocking out on a SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yeah, theres no elevation gains in my area like that.

I did a twenty mile ride tonight, lots of climbing, but again nothing near 1000'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Agreed, long durations of moderate paced saddle time have never been my thing, I guess that's why I've never owned a road bike and have no interest in road biking. Although that's what many coaches recommend.
    My distance is short but steep and consistency being the key. I ride 4-6X a week and always power up steep sections of my local single out of necessity since my bike is a rigid SS and I need to keep that momentum.My goal isn't to be faster to race but it's to end the climb with more energy for ripping the descent. My trails are straight up and down for the most part.
    I believe that short intense training has many health benefits and have read a couple books on this topic. Anyway,it works for me, and being 50 and fit is the proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    All over the map... like the others have posted, if I have 1 hour to ride I shred my legs after I get a nice warmup. But on a weekend or day when I have lotsa time, i'll ride 6-8 hours.
    If your goal is to get faster, don't worry about time in the saddle...worry about intensity. You can spend 4-6 quality hours a week and get wicked fast vs someone spending 12 at an endurance pace.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn