What's wrong with me???- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

New question here. What's wrong with me???

My Spicer Ti broke last week and since I have sent it back to get it repaired. I have been riding my backup SS which is a KHS Solo-One. I think the KHS handles better (my Spicer was built with the exact same geometry as my KHS) and it is smoother. I know the KHS is a Softtail, but it doesn't do that much.

Am I "OLD SCHOOL". Is steel for real??? I should under no circumstance like my cheap steel frame better than my ti frame, or should I?? What is wrong with me?? I am seriously considering a Kona Explosif frame and sell my ti frame when it comes back. What would you do?? Is steel the ultimate frame material?? Is ti a fad, not for "real"?? AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Thanks for your input,

tiSS'er (or steelSS'er as it may be)

mtbr member

Steel is the best...

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    My Spicer Ti broke last week and since I have sent it back to get it repaired. I have been riding my backup SS which is a KHS Solo-One. I think the KHS handles better (my Spicer was built with the exact same geometry as my KHS) and it is smoother. I know the KHS is a Softtail, but it doesn't do that much.

Am I "OLD SCHOOL". Is steel for real??? I should under no circumstance like my cheap steel frame better than my ti frame, or should I?? What is wrong with me?? I am seriously considering a Kona Explosif frame and sell my ti frame when it comes back. What would you do?? Is steel the ultimate frame material?? Is ti a fad, not for "real"?? AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Thanks for your input,

tiSS'er (or steelSS'er as it may be)
    Steel is very nice. Ti is also nice...carbon, whatever, and I hate Alu.
    Sell the Ti, get Steel.

Out spokin'

Now you've got me concerned

Is steel for real???
    I've never owned a ti frame. But I've always wanted one, because those who own them rave. Why do they rave? Because they have such a big investment to justify? Is ti really better?

I honestly don't know.

But what I honestly DO know is that I love my custom steel Vulture SS more than any bike I've ever owned (but my custom steel Co-Motion [geared] is a close second).

Ti... perhaps I'll never know...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

question for Ernesto

Hey Ernesto - I'm heading out to Wisconsin in late July and bringing the DISS. You have experience on the CAMBA trail system? Any thoughts or experience you can share? Recommendations?

Thanks for whatever you got.

the pope

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Aren't those frame's....

Made in China? I think that a U.S.A made frame, made by Guy's who understand how to make one because They ride them instead of work of .20 cents an hour like the Chinese guy might do a better job. I know i love how My dean ti SS rides.(just an opinion)

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I think that Ti is mostly hype, and people spend a lot of money on them, so they are not going to say that they are crap. I know a guy that had a couple of Litespeeds, both a road and a mountain bike. Well he was getting married so he decided to sell both the frames and downgrade to aluminum frames. He told me that he noticed a huge difference, the aluminum frames with the same components as his Litespeeds felt alot faster and less flexy. Personally I like a nice rigid bike that accelerates fast, so I don't think Ti would be for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So how do you explain his KHS riding better?

Are the KHS workers paid more?
    By the way .20 cents = $0.002 or two-tenths of a penny.

(This is sarcasm for those who try to be too serious)

It's usually not the material, but the build of the frame. Have Gene check the alignment while he has it. Nothing wrong with aluminum, or steel or titanium. Also, what kind of ride are you looking for? If you want smooth and plush, perhaps a hardtail is not the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    Made in China? I think that a U.S.A made frame, made by Guy's who understand how to make one because They ride them instead of work of .20 cents an hour like the Chinese guy might do a better job. I know i love how My dean ti SS rides.(just an opinion)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I love my IF TI Planet X more than my last steel cross frame. I think it has to do more with the custom geo. than anything else. I figure it has about the same ride quality as steel but it is lighter and isn't affected by water or anything else. When it comes down to it I wouldn't trade the IF for any other cross bike in the world.

As far as ss mtn. bikes go I've only riden steel. I have a gunnar now but I'm awaiting my vulture. I love steel when it comes to mountain bikes.

In the end though I think it comes down to fit and what ride characteristics you want.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I don't know a lot about Ti, it's a little out of my reach. A couple of things that stand out in my mind about Ti is how good it does against the weather, it's resilience, and it's lighter weight. Although I don't get to ride Ti a lot, I do ride steel and I can compare directly to Al. There was a big difference between the Al ride and the Steel ride.

In my recent bike purchase, I was given the option of getting a Ti by Spicer or someone in that range, or getting a custom steel bike. I chose the steel because that's what I know I like. Just a few ramblings there...

DT

Pivoteer

Just Asking a Question

Just to be clear, the downtube broke, not a weld, it was a material defect. It would not have mattered if the frame was built by dean or whoever. 3al/2.5v straight gauge titanium is 3al/2.5 ti in china or america. I would love to by a dean, but I can't justify the price difference, because the frames are no different. I live in Phoenix where it is VERY rough, I have owned Titus bikes, and have had them break, my riding buddy has had them break, and other I have talked to have had them break. They are made right here in my backyard, but it was a material defect. nothing you can do about it, so lets not blame the break on where the bike was made.

The question i have is steel better than ti? Is ti over rated?

Sorry for the rant, all I have heard since the break is if it were built in america it would never have broken. Whatever!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    Hey Ernesto - I'm heading out to Wisconsin in late July and bringing the DISS. You have experience on the CAMBA trail system? Any thoughts or experience you can share? Recommendations?

Thanks for whatever you got.

the pope
    Where you coming from? I will ride the CAMBA for the 1st time this fall. Yes, I got accepted to the Chequamegon race SS category!!!

In WI, 34:17 works for me for all the hills here, except if they are too steep of course, I have to get off the bike and run.

I am making a bike out of PVC pipes...that bike will be so badass! México style!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    The question i have is steel better than ti? Is ti over rated?

Sorry for the rant, all I have heard since the break is if it were built in america it would never have broken. Whatever!
    I have a steel bike and a ti bike, both retailing for about a grand. The steel bike's 10 years old, and the ti bike's 2.

-I've had a few hard falls on both, and the ti bike seems to resist denting better.
    -I never ever have to worry about rusting either (even though I have sprayed the steel bike with Frame Saver).
    -Different geometries, but I notice my back hurts less on the ti bike on rides of the same length and difficulty. I attribute this to the ti bike being "custom", and designed for me.
    -Paint jobs on steel bikes are just dang sexy, but they scratch. I like ti's "no worry" finish. IMHO, painted ti is for the rich (this one is orgasmic).

Overall, I like ti, and I love custom. If a bike can feel as comfortable and worry free as my ti bike, it's worth the extra bucks to me.

PS - The ti frame is lighter also. So lighter, tougher, no-worry (about oxidation) frame and finish, more comfy? My vote's for ti.
    Last edited by Drevil; 03-29-2004 at 08:41 AM.

No relation

Same tires?

Is steel the ultimate frame material?? Is ti a fad, not for "real"?? AAAAAHHHHH!!!
    I think tires are a bigger factor in ride quality than frame material, based mostly on my own hugely scientific experiments which have a margin of error of 4%.
    I have a custom Ti Seven, and a Surly one times one. I enjoy riding each, especially since I converted the Seven to single speed. Each time I ride the Surly with the 2.4 Mutanoraptors, I think to myself "this rides just as well as the Seven". However I then jump on the Seven with its 2.0 Pythons, and suspension fork, and it rides much better than the Surly. Material is nowhere near as important as fit. And more important than that is flavor.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.