whats up with this chain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

whats up with this chain

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Chain

That is the chain that I switched to on my SS after breaking several normal chains, and this thing is bullit proof and I have not had any problems what so ever with it.
    The only negative thing is that it is on the heavy side, but I want durability over light wieght.

mtbr member
    We use these on our trial rigs. We still break these once every couple months, but compaired to other chains under the mayham of trials- they are bomb proof!

igoslo
    I've run through two of them, they work pretty well but once they start to stretch they go fast. Three PC-1s to two SC interlocks as far as wear IMO. PC-1s are cheaper in the long run but not as blingtastic for sure.

pvd
    mtbr member
    junk. absolute junk.

Known Mountainbiker
    Because the link is bent; force (a lot) will want to straighten the link where regular links stretch. There's also the force working on the angle of the link which adds wear at the pin/pin holes. It's a theory.

But the chain is strong and heavy. And make sure you carry a couple links in your kit bag because when it breaks; nobody's gonna have a spare link for you.

FWIW, PVD thinks everything is junk unless he made it. Please take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    I ran one of those on my SS before I went with a frame that had sliding dropouts.
    It's strong and heavy, but allowed me to find a gearing arrangement that didn't need sliders or a tensioner

FTM
    allowed me to find a gearing arrangement that didn't need sliders or a tensioner
    A regular chain with one half link would do the same thing.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by literocola
    We use these on our trial rigs. We still break these once every couple months, but compaired to other chains under the mayham of trials- they are bomb proof!

back in the mid-late 90's, i used to run a kmc 415h on my ss stock with two 22t rings sandwiched together up front. absolutely bombproof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    back in the mid-late 90's, i used to run a kmc 415h on my ss stock with two 22t rings sandwiched together up front. absolutely bombproof.
    that gives me a idea.

it would look cool to put 2 of the same size front chain rings on the crank . and 2 rear sprokets of the same size and run 2 chains.that would be bomb proof ,it would be heavy , but a bottle of water is heavy so it might not realy matter.

It probably has been done before ,I would like to see it though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i dont ride off road . I dont have any off road.

I am looking at bling bling chains.

I am looking at chains on ebay.

I dont want to spend 50 bucks on a chain but i would spend 30 or 40.

FMF has a cheap chrome shiny one that is 25 or 30.

and there are some gold KMC chains in my price range.

I am not a racer or a weight weeny.

cost is a factor.

if i am looking for a low cost chain should i stay away from the cheap light weight one that have the hallow side plates and hallow pins.

how is that ebay chrome FMF for a standard duty street bike.
    it is ridden very fast though

it is like the whole world rides huffys and like to put the seat all the way down ,run to low of air presure,let there bikes rust to hell and pedal about 4 or 5 miles a hour.
    you know how when you are cooking down the road and you blow by people and they get scared .LIke "waa" where the hell did you come from.i dont mean to be a dick ,i slow down a little a pass them wide and in the grass ,but often there still shaken

How about when you are on your side of the bike path rite on the edge allmost in the grass and a on-comeing rider stayes rite in the middle or even is on your side and wont budge .I hate that. and there allways on a Kmart bike.riding like there lost or something.

this is still a chain post ,i just thought i would throw in a little intertaining rant.
    Thank you.

igoslo
    One more thing to consider if you want to get the SC chain, I needed a new pin for my Park CT-3 every time I'd use it on that chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Because the link is bent; force (a lot) will want to straighten the link where regular links stretch. There's also the force working on the angle of the link which adds wear at the pin/pin holes. It's a theory.

But the chain is strong and heavy. And make sure you carry a couple links in your kit bag because when it breaks; nobody's gonna have a spare link for you.

FWIW, PVD thinks everything is junk unless he made it. Please take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Caz
    I actually brought up that theory on here a few weeks ago. A conventional chain with a flat plate has a linear pull (force in one direction), where as a half link chain has a bent link therefore causing the force to be sent in another direction causing fatigue from the flex each link would endure. I'm with PVD (God strike me down now), on them being junk. All you need is 1 half link if any at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0