What's too heavy for a SSer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's too heavy for a SSer?

Hi

I'm currently waiting for my Implant to arrive to build up what will be my first single speed bike, well since I was a kid anyway!

I wanted to use a burly frame and forks because of the type of riding I tend to enjoy and also as I am a pretty big guy at 240ish lbs.

I have worked out that it should weigh around the 26lbs mark.

I really have no idea what to expect as this is my first SS build, but 26 is a good 5-10lbs lighter than what I'm used to, but of course now I only have one gear (32/18)!

So what does the usual SSer weigh? Will I be ok?

what a joke
    my monkey is 28lbs
    I am 223lbs
    no problems
    blah blah blah

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition J
    Hi

I'm currently waiting for my Implant to arrive to build up what will be my first single speed bike, well since I was a kid anyway!

I wanted to use a burly frame and forks because of the type of riding I tend to enjoy and also as I am a pretty big guy at 240ish lbs.

I have worked out that it should weigh around the 26lbs mark.

I really have no idea what to expect as this is my first SS build, but 26 is a good 5-10lbs lighter than what I'm used to, but of course now I only have one gear (32/18)!

So what does the usual SSer weigh? Will I be ok?
    Did Dekerf build you a singlespeed-specific Implant or are you going to run some sort of tensioner?

If you're used to riding a bike that's 5-10 lbs heavier, 26 lbs should feel pretty light to you. My friend who's about your size rides a Spot with a Fox Vanilla and I'd guess that it's at least 25 lbs. I'd say you're definitely ok. The weight should not be a limiting factor to your performance.

Please post some pictures when you get it and let us know how you like the whole singlespeed thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Did Dekerf build you a singlespeed-specific Implant or are you going to run some sort of tensioner?

If you're used to riding a bike that's 5-10 lbs heavier, 26 lbs should feel pretty light to you. My friend who's about your size rides a Spot with a Fox Vanilla and I'd guess that it's at least 25 lbs. I'd say you're definitely ok. The weight should not be a limiting factor to your performance.

Please post some pictures when you get it and let us know how you like the whole singlespeed thing.
    Thanks guys - good answers!

I am the UK Distributor of Dekerf, I got a bike with standard dropouts for resale reasons, but I'm hoping to use a Rennen Rollenlager on it to tension the chain, as long as it's compatible with my frame.

I will definitely post some pics when its ready, I've got everything sat here waiting for the frame!

White Brothers Fluid 120s
    Hope Mini 180/160mm Brakes
    CK Headset
    SIC Bars and Stem
    White Brothers Suspension Post
    Hope Bulb/Mavic XM819 Wheels
    Rennen SS Conversion with a CK 18 Cog
    Truvativ Style Team crank, Ti BB and 32T Cog
    Hutchinso Spider UST 2.1 Tyres

I simply cannot wait to get on this thing!

Interlectchewal

SIC Bars and Stem

Thanks guys - good answers!

SIC Bars and Stem
    That's sounds like a great build.

It's funny. My friend (the one I mentioned above) won a pair of the SIC bars and stem in a park riding competition. I'd never heard of them until he brought them over a couple of days ago so I could take pictures for him.

mtbr member
    That's sounds like a great build.

It's funny. My friend (the one I mentioned above) won a pair of the SIC bars and stem in a park riding competition. I'd never heard of them until he brought them over a couple of days ago so I could take pictures for him.

Yeah SIC is really nice stuff, I'm using the camo version of that Stem on this bike, with black Race bars.

I'm also the Distributor for SIC and Rennen over here, so this bike is a bit of a portfolio on wheels!

mtbr member
    Here's the camodised verison

The whole bike has a custom urban camo theme running over it, so should look pretty unique!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    I built up a sub 20lb SS this summer. my weight ranges from 215-225 depending on miles, I just never felt fully secure on it...but it never let me down. truth is for piece of mind i rather my 25lb pick up.

i also found that a SS of any weight was far more 'understanding' when it came to matters of my weight and poor riding style.
    I wanted to build it so I was confident on it, as it will still see quite a bit of AM and FR type riding so I know where you're coming from

When you say "understanding" what do you mean by that?

Interlectchewal

Camo paint on the Implant?

The whole bike has a custom urban camo theme running over it, so should look pretty unique!
    Is the frame going to be camo, too?

mtbr member
    Is the frame going to be camo, too?
    Yup sure is!

Misfit Psycles
    I built up a sub 20lb SS this summer. my weight ranges from 215-225 depending on miles, I just never felt fully secure on it...but it never let me down. truth is for piece of mind i rather my 25lb pick up.

i also found that a SS of any weight was far more 'understanding' when it came to matters of my weight and poor riding style.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Interlectchewal
    Yup sure is!
    Have you seen this?

mtbr member
    Have you seen this?
    Yeah it is a thing of beauty, but mine will be more white...

I'm a big Intense fan myself actually, love that bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I'm running a steelhead ss

If I remember correctly, it's about 27lbs. It seems to ride lighter than its porky weight. It's become my favorite ride. Build it up, have fun, and don't worry about it.

Misfit Psycles
    When you say "understanding" what do you mean by that?
    understanding was a kind way of saying durable.
    bending chain rings, breaking chains, blowing shocks...life is so much better now. and really so much cheaper.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    understanding was a kind way of saying durable.
    bending chain rings, breaking chains, blowing shocks...life is so much better now. and really so much cheaper.
    Aah I'm with you!

Cool, can't wait!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I am(was) 245lbs.
    Here's my 30lb singlespeed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

75% Mountain cycle

26 lbs

My Rumble came it at 26lbs too. I weigh 220 and I don't worry a bit on this thing.

I have to update the pic. I changed a few things since this pic. Still 26lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    My Rumble came it at 26lbs too. I weigh 220 and I don't worry a bit on this thing.

I have to update the pic. I changed a few things since this pic. Still 26lbs.
    Nice bike! Looks like you were thinking along the same lines as me when building that up...

Looks like I have nothing to get worked up over, I'm hoping the lack of drivetrain will emphasise the thrill of riding and the lack of full suspension develop my skills again!

Members who have read this thread: 0