what's a quality rigid fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

what's a quality rigid fork

Ok, so I am once again building up a SS mtn bike, (my fourth in 3 years).
    I love my fully rigid setup, and am not interested in being talked out of it.
    This latest frame is pretty light 853 steel. So I kinda wanted it to be a light bike. Sub 30#?
    I weigh 165lbs and don't 360 creek crossings daily. lol. but I do want something that wont blow up in case of a spill.

Obvious to me that carbon would be light and fairly forgiving(until it snaps, I endo and die)
    Alloy is light but is like holding a jackhammer (no thanks)
    And most of the steel options are good, cheap, and strong (but heavy 4130)
    And who knows where I can get a Ti fork under $500

So what's a good light steel fork? or a safe, non-racer carbon fork?
    I love first hand testimonials if you got something you love.

I'll be running a disc up frt for sure if that helps anyone factor this out.
    Edit: its for a 26er

(and yes I did search the mtbr for reviews, but there are none for rigid, and google search proved worthless, so I turn to you, cause you're smart and nice, and know stuff)

Thx from 10speed
    no chain no gain.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Sub 30# rigid?
    That shouldn't be very hard.
    I had a Salsa Cromoto fork that I liked a great deal. It was actually ordered by accident, but chose not to send it back. Precise, yet not jarring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm taking my chanses going race light with the Token (same as Ritchey, Trigon etc) fork at 450g or so :-) I've had mine for over 2 years and no problems even in technical terrain. I do not think I've jumped/dropped more then 2 feet with it.
    AC is just 410mm so steering is fast.
    If you go 96:er geomtery gets more normal on modern frames.
    Nobby Nic 2.4 fit but with narrow clearance.

mtbr member
    Another vote here for the Salsa Cromoto - nice quality, with stainless dropouts and, as said above, not too harsh either. My only gripe was that I couldn't get a 26" disc only version, but an hour of workshop time with a hacksaw and files soon rectified that.

The 26" takes a 29" wheel with a 2.35" Rampage with room to spare too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Salsa fork is good. Carbon forks- meh.

A Waltworks custom fork is to die for. No other comparson.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

+1 for Salsa

I have had a Surly and cheapo nashbar (which is still on one of my bikes) and now a Salsa...the Slasa so far seems to be the nicest. i read somewhere that it weighs around 1100g...not the lightest but it rides really nice. I also really like the stainless drops...no paint to get muggered up. Ti would be a sweet option. give john at dean bikes a call, they make a really nice ti fork...i am sure he could get something in your price range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twestis
    I'm taking my chanses going race light with the Token (same as Ritchey, Trigon etc) fork at 450g or so :-) I've had mine for over 2 years and no problems even in technical terrain. I do not think I've jumped/dropped more then 2 feet with it.
    AC is just 410mm so steering is fast.
    If you go 96:er geomtery gets more normal on modern frames.
    Nobby Nic 2.4 fit but with narrow clearance.

Just a little info :
    Token is only good for a 26''
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
    Just a little info :
    Token is only good for a 26''
    I've see people run them on disc cyclocross bikes, seams to be working. But I guess you are correct in that they are made for 26"

mtbr member
    groovy cycles does a nice unicrown custom fork, I also like my carbon white brothers rock solid.

mtbr member
    The Salsa Cromoto is nice but for the money I love The Surly 1x1 fork. It can be had fairly cheap($60,I think) fits fat tires and it can handle some abuse. I've had a couple and don't have any complaints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twestis
    I've see people run them on disc cyclocross bikes, seams to be working. But I guess you are correct in that they are made for 26"

Yeah, trust me, I bought a Token 410mmAC for my Salsa Selma 29er. Big Mistake. It looks nice in the garage, but the math is really wrong. 175mm cranks were hitting everything in the turns. I ended up clipping a root and getting tossed and injured slightly. I slowly rode home and replaced with an Exotic Fully Carbon fork, and have been riding hard on it ever since.

The Token went on a 26'' Salsa and would probably work for cyclocross bikes as well since most corners in cyclocross are well manicured with little or no ROOTS/ROCKS, etc...
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Kelly, Quiring, Salsa, Kona P2...

first off, I'm interested to know your current bike build or set-up. can you post the run-down of frame, wheels, components? maybe a pic, too? this is definitely the right place if you want some solid feedback and input on both the rigid fork and idea of dropping weight of your rig below 30-lbs...
    that said - I would easily agree w/ what's been said already - re: Salsa rigid fork. I've ridden the Salsa on other bikes I've owned - and was very happy. not the lightest steel fork out there, per se - but certainly priced right and ride quality was very good. have you considered the Kona P2? I really like that fork, too - especially for the price! Bikeman always has these advertised for $59. hard to beat that price! I had a Quiring rigid fork for a while - and it rode very nicely. I sold it after changing to another frame. right now...I'm back to riding a rigid Kelly fork (26").
    WaltWorks forks seem to be very highly regarded, so that's a good idea - depending on your budget. others, perhaps: Indy Fab, Vicious Cycles, Igleheart...
    good luck -
    EL_MATADOR

mtbr member
    I think many Ti forks would fall under $500 (if you were seriously asking about that). Just did a quick check and the Black Sheep unicrown is $475

The Vicious steel forks are supposed to be very nice forks. For a similar price I would probably get a custom Waltworks though

As for carbon, Unreal is selling the On One 26" carbon fork for $210 here. The On One is known for being tougher than other similar carbon forks and that looks like a great price for carbon

mtbr member
    I have to agree on the Surly. I have the Instigator and it perfect for my set up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    [QUOTE=CoffeeBean]Yeah, trust me, I bought a Token 410mmAC for my Salsa Selma 29er. Big Mistake. It looks nice in the garage, but the math is really wrong. 175mm cranks were hitting everything in the turns. I ended up clipping a root and getting tossed and injured slightly....QUOTE]

The steering must have been extremely fast as the Token AC is about 60 mm shorter then recommended for that frame.

Mounted on a 26" bike they work well depending on geometry and steering preferences. If you then go 96:er with the 26" frame you get the front up 1.5 inch/38 mm and that would be in the area of normal for an XC frame but probably tweak the geometry in some other way

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know it is for a 26er but the Vassago ODIS fork is very smooth for going rigid and depending on what length you want it could work

- factotum -
    The Salsa Cromoto is very good, but the Groovy Hodown fork is the best rigid fork I've ever ridden.
    I had a Ti fork for a while and I am glad that I sold it. It flexed too much.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    2nd a Quiring

master blaster
    i ride a independent fabrications rigid fork. fork legs are tapered really narrow but its about 10 years old with no sign of failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you have'nt already, go to cambriabike.com and see what you think of their Kona forks.
    Price ain't bad, don't know the weight though.
    PoisonDogFart

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wow guys, thanks for all the input!

I have researched the mentioned forks and have it narrowed down to:
    Salsa cromoto $80
    Waltworks custom $260
    Kelly Bikes $250

I will email WW and Kelly within a couple of days to see what weight/ type of steel/ tire clearance is gonna look like.

Obvious that the Salsa is the best value, and I do like the stainless dropouts. But I place handcraftmanship (is that a word?) high in in my priorities. So we will see....

Thanks again fellas
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Kelly rigid fork...

Kelly rigid fork on eBay right now...w/ Buy It Now option. $150 shipped. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/kelly-26-fork_W0...item3ca7de18bd

Maybe save yourself $100 and grab the fork before someone else does!
    FYI - the fork is 26", black, 1-1/8" threadless, disc brake only (no V brake bosses)...

Good luck!
    EL_MATADOR

Framebuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    wow guys, thanks for all the input!

I have researched the mentioned forks and have it narrowed down to:
    Salsa cromoto $80
    Waltworks custom $260
    Kelly Bikes $250

I will email WW and Kelly within a couple of days to see what weight/ type of steel/ tire clearance is gonna look like.

Obvious that the Salsa is the best value, and I do like the stainless dropouts. But I place handcraftmanship (is that a word?) high in in my priorities. So we will see....

Thanks again fellas
    Get the Waltworks, you'll be glad you did.

Members who have read this thread: 0