What's a good chain for SS?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Ninja

What's a good chain for SS?

This is probably the wrong forum, but I'll ask anyways. My chain's been falling off the gears (and sometimes jamming between the tire and chainstay) even while riding on road and is loose enough to cause chain slap on my 07 Gary Fisher Rig SS 29er. It has about 1250 miles on it, but I ride a 34-14 gearing and I frequently torque it up 10%+ grade hills as a part of a "daily" workout.

I don't have a spanner wrench to adjust the concentric BB and only have a mini chain tool that's on my multi-tool.

I don't really trust the nearby LBS, since they cater to the market just above the Wal-Mart price range and their tune up on my old bike was really shoddy. I'd imagine that they would probably charge $20 for labor on top of $20-$30 for a SS specific chain which they'd probably have to order anyways.

What do you guys recommend for a chain and do you think I should invest in a spanner wrench or is there an alternative, since I'd only be using it about once a year? Some chains are okay with the multi-tool's chain tool, but I know some cheaper ones are permanently weakened and can break apart at the same pin.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    This is probably the wrong forum, but I'll ask anyways. My chain's been falling off the gears (and sometimes jamming between the tire and chainstay) even while riding on road and is loose enough to cause chain slap on my 07 Gary Fisher Rig SS 29er. It has about 1250 miles on it, but I ride a 34-14 gearing and I frequently torque it up 10%+ grade hills as a part of a "daily" workout.

I don't have a spanner wrench to adjust the concentric BB and only have a mini chain tool that's on my multi-tool.

I don't really trust the nearby LBS, since they cater to the market just above the Wal-Mart price range and their tune up on my old bike was really shoddy. I'd imagine that they would probably charge $20 for labor on top of $20-$30 for a SS specific chain which they'd probably have to order anyways.

What do you guys recommend for a chain and do you think I should invest in a spanner wrench or is there an alternative, since I'd only be using it about once a year? Some chains are okay with the multi-tool's chain tool, but I know some cheaper ones are permanently weakened and can break apart at the same pin.
    Get a proper hex wrench! It is not difficult to adjust the ECcentric BB, even with a multi-tool.

I like the Wippermann White Star 108 chain. Buy extra master links.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Ninja
    A hex would loosen the BB to allow you to spin it with the spanner, but I'm not sure what else I could use to get the same amount of leverage to easily/adequately do the same job.

I like what I see with the Wipperman White Star and it's cheap at just over $20 shipped, but what's the purpose of getting extra master links?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I like what I see with the Wipperman White Star and it's cheap at just over $20 shipped, but what's the purpose of getting extra master links?

So you can easily change chain length when you swap out cogs/chainrings.

Trail Ninja
    I see. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would invest in a new chain and a spanner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A new chain isn't going to do you much good if you don't get the tools to adjust your bottom bracket. A brand new loose chain is going to be as bad as an old loose chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0