Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's going on with my rear hub?

626 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  slide mon 
#1 ·
I've got a monocog 29er with stock redline hubs. I was trying to track down some drivetrain noise that seems to be coming from the hub. While doing so though, I noticed I've got a strange chain tension issue.

When I spin the rear wheel backwards, with the cranks, chain and cog stationary, the tension on the chain is still changing, i.e. as the wheel turns, the tension increases and decreases. Kind of looks like the chain is breathing. Looking more closely, I can see the freehub body (which is not spinning) going ever so slightly up and down or back and forth. Looks like the freehub body is not aligned correctly with the axle?

The wheel is centered and straight and spins freely without any rub on the disc rotors so I don't think it's a wheel alignment issue. Think something is hosed in the hub, looking for ideas (I know squat about hubs.) Hub is a stock redline ss cassette hub.

Thanks for any pointers.

-slide

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.