what's everyone's idea of how to build an ss on the cheap?- Mtbr.com
    US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

New question here. what's everyone's idea of how to build an ss on the cheap?

hi,i'm new here.
    after seein a similar discussion on a diffrent site,what are some ideas on building a ss on the cheap?i have a monocog ('04),and may buy a monocog 29er this year,but the thread over there got my creative gears grindin to a start.
    e.g.hows bout a nashbar chromo frame ($45 ) w a singleater,but what wheelset/components to keep it as cheap,yet usable as possible?
    i don't have to scrounge,but for me,that and franken-biken is half the fun

mtbr member

I got the nashbar cromo

$40 if you wait for a 10% off e-mail. funny the 2 days after I ordered it they sent me a 15% off and free shipping coupon. e-bay 02 dj fork and picking though my old parts bin. got a DMR STS tensioner from universal for $20 and a 42 tooth white indst. chain ring at the used bike shop. I have only ridden it around the block so far but when skiing ends I take it out more.

just another bleepin SSer
    My first singlespeed used parts off of regular bikes. I took the big and little chain ring off, and broke apart the cluster to get the individual gears and spacers. I needed more spacers, so got a hold of a worn out cluster and broke that part also. Stuck the spacers and gear of my choice on the rear wheel, and then tightened down the smallest gear ffrom the cluster (which acted as a lock ring). I used a derailleur as a chain tensioner. I changed out the MTB rear derailleur for a short throw road derailleur, so there would be less chain slap.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am thisclose to having all the parts I need to build up my cheapo SS from scratch. Hopefully the last 2 pkgs will arrive this week and I can be out on the trails next wknd. I was trying to keep it under $300, but it looks like I'll end up blowing my budget by around $50-75, partially offset by the fact that I got a $100 gift cert to Nashbar for Xmas, and $50 cash from my aunt/godmother (yes, I'm pushing 30 and she still sends it every year).

Nashbar frame $45
    NYC Bikes rigid fork $19
    Salsa 36t and 42t chainrings $50 (oh yeah, I am building it up as a dinglespeed, so the extra ring and cog added about $25)
    Surly Singleator (got in a trade)
    wheels pulled off an old MTB I bought dirt cheap
    Nashbar mtn crankset and BB
    eBay, Craiglist, and on-sale Nashbar stuff for the rest

I know in the end, I could probably have gotten a 26" Monocog for only a bit more, but this has been a 3-month project and a fair amount of fun hunting for parts, etc. Hopefully I will gain some good experience putting together a bike by myself...and will end with the satisfaction of having a one of a kind (cheap) bike.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Cheapest new frame not counting shipping around right now is the TopImage Neptunes on ebay from ediscountbike.com, $9.99 but they only have one size of them and its really 19" not the 17" they've always claimed them to be.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

No really, I am that slow
    Steal it. Du-h.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    why do you want to build a cheap SS when you already have a monocog (a cheap good singlespeed)?

building a bike piece by piece will never be as cheap as buying a complete bike of similar quality, unless you get really lucky finding parts.

the monocog is the best example i can think of! try to build a bike that good for under 500 bucks.

Retro Grouch

Not usually done..

Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker
    hi,i'm new here.
    after seein a similar discussion on a diffrent site,what are some ideas on building a ss on the cheap?i have a monocog ('04),and may buy a monocog 29er this year,but the thread over there got my creative gears grindin to a start.
    e.g.hows bout a nashbar chromo frame ($45 ) w a singleater,but what wheelset/components to keep it as cheap,yet usable as possible?
    i don't have to scrounge,but for me,that and franken-biken is half the fun
    Rarely will you find anyone building a cheap SS from scratch unless it's with a SS frame. The first step is usally a conversion and there are numerous ideas in the FAQ about that. Since for you it's all about a build, do something original. One member of the board bought a Chrome plated Huffy off ebay and built it with some medium quality components; very cool. Another member glued pink feathers to his frame (okay maybe that's a poor example ). Find yourself an old DS bike and replace the rear shock with a 2x4. Anyway, that's my take.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Good job!

yep,the monocog is a great bike for the money,and mine was bought used .less shipping,i got a frame,fork,wheelset,extra set of hubs,a couple freewheels,seatpost,stem,bars and some decent raodies (1.5"),for 100 bucks!i added truvativ ss crankset/bb and deore v-brakes/levers,tires and whatnot,but i got on the trail w/ a near new (i think it had 1 small scratch) monocog for 350 or maybe a lil less (i had a few parts in the "pile"-as my wife calls it.
    i haven't put any miles on it in a while,and me & an old highschool buddy are goin ridin in the mornin (if he dont wuss out...sposed to be in the high teens/low 20's,snow and/or freezin rain ),i think i'm gunna ride it.
    my 1st ss (not countin the converteds back in the day) was a $350-ish gary fisher advance that i bought less gear stuff with a surly singleater to see if i would actually ride a ss.i sold it to that same buddy last year for $250,and just bought it back w/ a cheaper fork (i put a marzocchi exr 100mm on it) for $100.now,i can't get away w/ riding alluminum much nowadays due to a spinal injury (broken neck,not biking related) a few years back,but i think i'm gunna order 1 of those nashbar chromo frames and another singleater,and have a ss i can throw on the back of the peterbuilt
    sorry if it seems to take me a while to keep up w/ stuff on here,i run coast-coast teams each week.

boomer
    I went the eBay route for 90% of my Fetish Fixation. It's a brutally stiff frame but it's held up under my big butt for two seasons now and I'm not quite the smoothest cat out there on my SS. I think everything came in at about eight bills or so.
    Calvin

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin
    I went the eBay route for 90% of my Fetish Fixation. It's a brutally stiff frame but it's held up under my big butt for two seasons now and I'm not quite the smoothest cat out there on my SS. I think everything came in at about eight bills or so.
    i've read/heard good things about that frame.a buddy of mine swears by his.myself,i miss the power transfer/acceleration etc from a "brutally stiff" frame,but having broken my neck back in '01 (not bike related,was on the job),all my old alluminumnumnum frames (all 2 of em )are now "whatnots" and decorations (ok,well,i still occasionally ride 1 of em,but i pay for it each time ).but i ain't complainin tho,except for not bein home to ride as often as i'd like,cause,hey,at least i can still ride .matter of fact,if i'm gunna get there b4 the other guys hit the trail,i gotta get off here in the next 30 minutes

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by woe
    Steal it. Du-h.
    that only werks till ya get caught by someone like me,then ya spend the next 8 weeks-year laid up regrettin that new ti upgrade in yer head

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! good idear

Quote Originally Posted by edmoloco
    $40 if you wait for a 10% off e-mail. funny the 2 days after I ordered it they sent me a 15% off and free shipping coupon. e-bay 02 dj fork and picking though my old parts bin. got a DMR STS tensioner from universal for $20 and a 42 tooth white indst. chain ring at the used bike shop. I have only ridden it around the block so far but when skiing ends I take it out more.
    think i'm gunna get one of those.i just re-bought a bike back from a buddy... ,,back in '03,i got the hankerin for a deidcated ss,but wasn't sure i'd ride it much,so went to my trusty lbs,told him my plight,and bought a gary fisher advance,less the gear stuff,+ a singleater for around $300,with a brake lever upgrade (they were intigrated w/ shifters).anyways,i ended up riding it the most for a while,and in '05,bought my monocog,sold that fisher to my oldest freind (we been ridin n the woods on dirt bikes-back then-and mtn bikes since '84-ish) for $240 with an '03 m'zocchi 100mm fork.i just paid him 100 clams to buy it back,but he's added an all deore drivetrain,kept the m'zocchi and replaced it w/ the rst 100mm ( off of his opie.bein that i gave up stiffer frames and got back into steel since then,i'm gunna order one of those frames.have'nt decided 100% if i'm gunna ss it or gear it,but i'm leanin towards ss.a freind of mine from another site has one and loves it,and tells me (w/ a posted pic,no less)with proper gearing he didn't even need a chain tensioner

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Good job! cool,i love project bikes

Quote Originally Posted by knucklesandwich
    I am thisclose to having all the parts I need to build up my cheapo SS from scratch. Hopefully the last 2 pkgs will arrive this week and I can be out on the trails next wknd. I was trying to keep it under $300, but it looks like I'll end up blowing my budget by around $50-75, partially offset by the fact that I got a $100 gift cert to Nashbar for Xmas, and $50 cash from my aunt/godmother (yes, I'm pushing 30 and she still sends it every year).

Nashbar frame $45
    NYC Bikes rigid fork $19
    Salsa 36t and 42t chainrings $50 (oh yeah, I am building it up as a dinglespeed, so the extra ring and cog added about $25)
    Surly Singleator (got in a trade)
    wheels pulled off an old MTB I bought dirt cheap
    Nashbar mtn crankset and BB
    eBay, Craiglist, and on-sale Nashbar stuff for the rest

I know in the end, I could probably have gotten a 26" Monocog for only a bit more, but this has been a 3-month project and a fair amount of fun hunting for parts, etc. Hopefully I will gain some good experience putting together a bike by myself...and will end with the satisfaction of having a one of a kind (cheap) bike.
    cool!why not post some pix when you get it done?yea,you probly coulda,but yes you will gain some knowledge this way.the monocog is a great bike ('specially for the scratch it costs),and i love the crap outta mine.i just really love project bikes (a lot ).now,think back at those 3 months,and it wuz way fun,right?now think bout that 1 or more parts that wuz a hassle,and bask in that glow of satifaction of gettin it done anyways...thats the fun part for me.that,and beatin a buddy back to the truck,w/ him on his $2500 ds.don't get me wrong,i'm not wealthy by any means,but i could scrounge up that kinda $ for a bike,but have no desire to when i have so much fun franken-bikin.besides,on most rides w/ my riding buds,i'd be outta place on a shiney bike (not referrin to it's cleanlyness/luster),cause most of my buds couldn't.i think dirt rag calls that "dirtbag bikin" maybe?

ps:ya gotta loves grand/god parents!!!mine still sends me birthday cards w/ $20 in it too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker

cool!why not post some pix when you get it done?yea,you probly coulda,but yes you will gain some knowledge this way.the monocog is a great bike ('specially for the scratch it costs),and i love the crap outta mine.i just really love project bikes (a lot ).now,think back at those 3 months,and it wuz way fun,right?now think bout that 1 or more parts that wuz a hassle,and bask in that glow of satifaction of gettin it done anyways...thats the fun part for me.that,and beatin a buddy back to the truck,w/ him on his $2500 ds.don't get me wrong,i'm not wealthy by any means,but i could scrounge up that kinda $ for a bike,but have no desire to when i have so much fun franken-bikin.besides,on most rides w/ my riding buds,i'd be outta place on a shiney bike (not referrin to it's cleanlyness/luster),cause most of my buds couldn't.i think dirt rag calls that "dirtbag bikin" maybe?

ps:ya gotta loves grand/god parents!!!mine still sends me birthday cards w/ $20 in it too!
    I will definitely post pics when I finish- am very close to being done.
    Just need to set up the rear brake, adjust the front brake a tiny bit, and fiddle with the chain tension (I think the spring in my Singleator is cooked.)
    I am pumped.

I like to ride bikes!

Smile

All you need is about 25 cents worth of PVC, a 3 dollar half link and any bike you want to convert.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutdog
    All you need is about 25 cents worth of PVC, a 3 dollar half link and any bike you want to convert.

Could you please give some more detail on the pvc approach? What size pvc pipe would I need?

I like to ride bikes!

See the FAQ

Check out the FAQ... Those guys did a great job!
    http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Good job!

yes they did!!!there's a whole world of ss links you can jump to startin there too!thanx!

Is dang happy!
    Monocogs are sweet and this time of year up north the LBS may part with 06 bikes for a song and a dance.

Some of the deals on the what bike to buy forum would make nice conversions and you could sell the gear junk for some nice blinglespeed parts.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Portland, OR
    https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15723-175_REDMC7-3-Parts-60-Frames/Redline-Monocog-Frame-w_-Fork-'07.htm

pricepoint has the monocog with fork for $159.99 thats a steal. they also have the 29er version.

heres my version of cheap SS. so far invested.... $127.89

A lot of people build them out of spare parts, thats what I did (bike still needs a tensioner though)
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Thanks, found some great info there. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything to tell me what size PVC pipe I could use. It was probably in the Bontrager link that doesn't work anymore, so if anyone knows what size to use, I would really appreciate it.

Kenny O.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    I build a single speed out of my GT Timberline about six years ago. All I used was a bit of PVC pipe. I busted apart my cassette and used an old bmx chain with a half link. Cost nothing. Had everything laying around.
    I am CHEAP

Ride Responsibly
    one and a quarter pvc.
    best to take the casset with you to the hardware store to make sure of the fit. you can also find aluminnum pipe.
    I enjoy finding older bikes at yard sales, look for the old horizontal dropouts that every frame had then (not open at the back, but like a vertical with more back angle) and a good cro-mo frame. strip it down to the frame, ditch all the cheap heavy garbage, add some reliable parts to build it back up.

Members who have read this thread: 0