What's the best climbing+technical SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What's the best climbing+technical SS?

My first SS died and went to frame heaven - metal fatigue. I've developed a liking for technical rides and climbing (and descending of course). Smooth trails and fireroads are fine for covering distances or aerobic workouts but I'll go out of my way to find rocks, etc. What's the best do-everything frame?

Single Speed Junkie
    Don't think that the SS frames are as specific as some of the full suspended rigs out there.

If you want a very stiff solid frame you would be hard pressed to find one better than a Ventana El Toro.

Nice smooth ride good for all day type riding nothing beats a custom Ti IF Delux.

Many people are very happy with steel, and I was as well on my previous ride, but it was burdened with to many gears, so out to pasture it went. Now a friend of the family loves the bike and I've had a chance to ride it this past summer, still to many gears trying to get him to convert it into a SS.

BTW both bikes weigh the same so neither one has an advantage there.

mtbr member

Look at on-one ...

The on-one inbred is well regarded as being an excellent climber - nice and long for stability, and predictable on the downhills. They seem like a great company. I think an il pompino is in my future (hopefully in more ways than one ...).

They're pretty affordable, and damn sexy.

www.on-one.co.uk

34N 118W

custom

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    My first SS died and went to frame heaven - metal fatigue. I've developed a liking for technical rides and climbing (and descending of course). Smooth trails and fireroads are fine for covering distances or aerobic workouts but I'll go out of my way to find rocks, etc. What's the best do-everything frame?
    you should be directing those statements and questions to your new builder. You'll love custom steel (or ti) built just for Pacman.

it's time.

HW

banned
    yeah, Hollywood's right. custom steel SS for your preferences in geometry and terrain capabilities

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm pretty partial to my cannondale 1fg. The geometry is set up to be a climber, it's super, super stiff and you can build them up to be pretty light. i've got some heavy wheels and tires on mine so I can rally hard and it's right around 20 lbs for an XL frame. Also having a locking fork is a very nice option for singlespeeding, and the headshock locks out super rigid. If the climbing is super tecnical you can leave the fork on. I have not riden a faster bike ever.

mtbr member

SS4life can climb on his 1FG !

SS4life and I did some good SS climbing here in Bend,OR yesterday for shure. I got him stoked on SS after I got my Surly 1x1 this spring, now he's cutting it up on his C'dale.
    I'm stepping up to a custom 29" SS Vulture, I'm hard to fit so for me custom is the way.
    Try and ride some different bikes before you decide, fit is the key to any bike feeling right climbing, descending and everything else. BTW, I love my 1x1 it does it all well.
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

JAK
    mtbr member

Custom!

Geometry is subjective. Most rigs are built to be 'balanced'. My Ramblumtick has 16" stays and a 23.5 TT and a steep seat angle to help with long cranks. I wanted a exactly what you mention, a techieclimber. For hopping and ratcheting through rocky corners, those short stays hook me up. The rear wheel is always with me. I sacrifice in having a bike for bombing logging/fire roads, but I like MTBs, not dirt road bikes!

Hav fun
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.