What is WRONG with me??- Mtbr.com
    jeny jo

What is WRONG with me??

I got a new SS. SShe is brilliant. Photo of maiden voyage attached.

Sso I ride. It's hard. I mean, brilliantly hard. I've not felt this freaking fabulouss in monthss and monthss.

Sso. I get her. I ride her one night, and it's truly a giglefesst of raw fear and flat out HEART rate chaoss. God. How perfect. I had no idea.

Sso I ride her the next day. Long ride. A ride I do regularly on the gearie, just wanting to compare. I almost bailed. I turned around at mile 30, and thought, I've done enough. I wait 10 secondss, recover (AGAIN)... and I turn yet BACK around, and finissh the climb, finissh the day, finissh what I sstarted and didn't think I could possibly do. Not one more crank or pussh or hearbeat. Oh, but i SSO did it.

And, I can hardly run up the sstairs the next morning w/ out lactic fatigue sspilling into my quadss and my whole body. And what do I do?

I go out for more. Day three. I love the ssound of my chain, and I love sseeing this beautiful creature hauling my ass through the woodss, working me deeper than I've ever known.

I can't get enough. I'm obsessed. She's got me under her sspell and I am just totally and completely whipped.

I can't stop talking about her. And I cant sstop of thinking what I'm going to ride next. Am I actually REQUIRED to go into work tomorrow? Or can I just play ADDICT and go out again. Go get ssum more....?

Freaking Junkie.

J
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    HOLY CRAP - what gear ratio are you running and how many links in that chain?????

I have that exact same frame and am trying to figure out whether or not to run it geared or as a SS!!!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I love the sound of my chain
    I love not hearing the sound of my chain!!

You've got a great looking machine there!! It's interesting to see more SS's being built up using Urban/DJ style frames. Looks like great fun to ride.

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Ever since seeing this post I have visisions of my Chase turning into something similar to this. I got the frame for next to nothing from a young kid desparate to make a car payment. It came with some Azonic 454 3-piece cranks, perhaps I can still utilize them if the original poster can give me that magic gear ratio. Looks so great without a tensioner.

Maybe he's out riding again and hasn't checked back in to his thread yet!

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Maybe he's out riding again and hasn't checked back in to his thread yet!

and maybe he is a she.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

jeny jo

Sshe-sshe

Good morning!

Gear ratio: currently at 32-17. Will prolly change it to 33-18 this week (just so I can utilize my evenT cogs).

Chain Links: I have no idea off the top of my head. I had a GUY build it for me (yes, femme here) and he was showing me how/why the front chainring and the rear cog had to be at odds (one even, and one odd number) because of the length of the frame. AND, i have one 1/2 link in there.... Does that help?

I dreamt about her again last night, too. And, I think I lost a date or two this weekend because of her.

Jeny

mtbr member
    Jeny - sorry about that misrepresentation (thinking you might be a he). Your bike kicks ass and thanks for the info. Perhaps what I'll do is try and find a 33T chainring for the Azonic cranks since I already have an 18T cog for the rear end. Can you ask the guy who helped you build it what size bottom bracket and spindle length that you have on your Chase?

Thanks!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jenamin
    Good morning!

Gear ratio: currently at 32-17. Will prolly change it to 33-18 this week (just so I can utilize my evenT cogs).

Chain Links: I have no idea off the top of my head. I had a GUY build it for me (yes, femme here) and he was showing me how/why the front chainring and the rear cog had to be at odds (one even, and one odd number) because of the length of the frame. AND, i have one 1/2 link in there.... Does that help?

I dreamt about her again last night, too. And, I think I lost a date or two this weekend because of her.

Jeny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    and maybe he is a she.
    Whoops - my apologies if that is so. And if so, even better!!!

jeny jo

Commute

Ha. Funny. I do actually ride to work on a old cruiser. Ancient LITTLE Raleigh.... I used to ride a fixie ... but have since given her away in lieu of saving my knees for ski (tele) season. That said: I'd kill to have her back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

jenamin...

perhaps what you need to do is build up an ss commuter: my life has improved (i.e., i go to work again); errands can be fun again; if you make it fixed, you don't even have to lock it up and it's fun watching people try to ride away with and subsequently get launched the first time they try to coast. moreover, you get to ride everyday and hear the sound of one hand clapping or no chain slapping (same difference) and soon you'll sell your car to buy and ride more bikes and...wait, never ask addicts to help you with an addiction.

btw, beautiful rig, enjoy the ride.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Whoops - my apologies if that is so. And if so, even better!!!
    You don't know the half of it - not just a she, but a very attractive she - who could quite possibly rip the legs off of 95% of the riders in these forums - really. Don't let the DJ type ride fool you...
    Last edited by Godzilla; 09-19-2005 at 08:19 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

You should Xpost to passion

Jenamin,
    Im not even sure how one does it but I think your little write up would make a nice passion post. It is short and sweet and it made me really want to try SS to see whats the big deal. If you made anyone else feel that way you would just be helping us along with our own 2-wheel sickness. Nice post and cool bike.

Hairshirt Rider
    Is that Dave's old bike? Looks good.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz

How was the ride? Sorry I missed it (unless, of course, it turns out that the ride sucked )

When do we get to see pics of your new SS, Paul?
    Last edited by Godzilla; 09-19-2005 at 09:19 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

jeny jo
    Si. It is....

J

jeny jo
    [QUOTE=Godzilla]How was the ride? Sorry I missed it (unless, of course, it turns out that the ride sucked )

Which ride? The first, second, or third? Or, the one's in my mind? J

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    [QUOTE=jenamin]
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    How was the ride? Sorry I missed it (unless, of course, it turns out that the ride sucked )

Which ride? The first, second, or third? Or, the one's in my mind? J
    Sorry about that - I was asking Paul about a big ride he did yesterday outside of the Springs, should've sent a PM - I'll refrain from posting before I get another 32 oz of coffee in me
    Now with more vitriol!

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004
    Jenamin, where do you ride in the front range? I'm highly considering building an MTB singlespeed after loving my road fixie so much.... I've noticed I can ride bigger gears on the fixie, but the 32x18 seems awful tall for climbing stuff like Mount Falcon or Belcher????

Hmmm, V big ride pics...

Sorry about that - I was asking Paul about a big ride he did yesterday outside of the Springs, should've sent a PM - I'll refrain from posting before I get another 32 oz of coffee in me
    look for pics on the CO Front Range discussion board, yet to be posted, but very soon. It was awesome.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-19-2005 at 11:24 AM.

jeny jo
    Quote Originally Posted by SpareTireScott
    Jenamin, where do you ride in the front range? I'm highly considering building an MTB singlespeed after loving my road fixie so much.... I've noticed I can ride bigger gears on the fixie, but the 32x18 seems awful tall for climbing stuff like Mount Falcon or Belcher????
    Howdy. OK, so this was my first weekend on the SS. So the gears have me pretty concerned. First ride was LOTB -- I wanted to do an easy ride, and I wanted to see how she would do on that particular climb. I had to take into consideration that I'm so used to having gears. That said, made it up all the big stuff ... with many stops to recover. Second day was Buffalo Creek -- started at the BOTTOM, rode UP the burn area trail (whatever that is), hit the Buffalo Creek trail, did/climbed the Green Mountain Loop clock wise, dropped all the way back down to the fire service road (off of the Buffalo Creek decent), climbed back up the other side on the Baldy Trail, hit Charlies Cutoff, and bombed down Sandy Wash or Gulch or whatever it is. It was hard -- as in my energy was so completely spent. I picked this trail b/c the climbs are flatter than most of the front range stuff, but mileage was significant enough to make some real comparrisons. Third day, I wanted to find the flattest ride I could do, so I jsut hit Heil Ranch, and rode in from the road a ways to get in more mileage.

ALL that said: I have not decided if I'm keeping the 32-17 or not. I want to, and so I'm just going to stick it out and see if I can just climb it all. I am going to try to haul her up Falcon next I think, and see how that goes. My theory is this: if I can keep riding her as she is, I'm just going to get strong enough to ride up everything I'm used to riding. That is the goal anyway. Now, I do MOST of my riding up in Summit and in NED. So I'm trying to figure it all out before I hit the trails I truly love to ride. (Week day rides are usually White Ranch ... White Ranch ... White Ranch ... and sometimes Falcon. I guess I am just riding around a bit to make sure I don't just kill myself trying to get up these hills. Practice Practice Practice, right?)

Not sure if that helps....

J
    Last edited by jenamin; 09-19-2005 at 12:13 PM.

Now Uploading
    Yeah. And as someone else pointed out to me earlier, at least now there is somebody on that bike who can ride it.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Now Uploading
    Jeny - sorry about that misrepresentation (thinking you might be a he). Your bike kicks ass and thanks for the info. Perhaps what I'll do is try and find a 33T chainring for the Azonic cranks since I already have an 18T cog for the rear end. Can you ask the guy who helped you build it what size bottom bracket and spindle length that you have on your Chase?

Thanks!

Mark
    I ran that thing 33:18 for a while, fits snug, real snug with a new chain. 32:17 fits too, with a half-link (look close in pic, it's a 3/32 KMZ). You can go up or down four teeth in that particular frame and it will still fit, or very close, so check on your own Chase frame. Two teeth up or down requires a half link. So 32:19 would work, 32:21 with a half link, 33:18 works, 33:20 with a half link, etc.

Measure carefully then check this for more info:

http://www.teambigtime.com/software/ssConvert.htm

I put a Shimano Octalink ES-71 68x118 BB in that SS build with those LX cranks, gives a perfect chainline with the Gusset SS spacer kit set up with the cog in the most outboard possition while having close clearance between a 32T chainring and the frame chainstay. A 33T would be very close, and I gave her a spare LX ES-51 68x121 BB to swap out with if using 34T and larger chainrings. That would provide an additional 1.5mm chainstay clearance.

I made the custom SS vert-dropout from a regular Cannondale RD hanger.

You can get a 33T 4-104 bolt chainring from Tru-Vativ.

Keep having fun on it J.

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 09-19-2005 at 12:54 PM. Reason: morinic typing skills

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    I ran that thing 33:18 for a while, fits snug, real snug with a new chain. 32:17 fits too, with a half-link (look close in pic, it's a 3/32 KMZ). You can go up or down four teeth in that particular frame and it will still fit, or very close, so check on your own Chase frame. Two teeth up or down requires a half link. So 32:19 would work, 32:21 with a half link, 33:18 works, 33:20 with a half link, etc.

Measure carefully then check this for more info:

http://www.teambigtime.com/software/ssConvert.htm

I put a Shimano Octalink ES-71 68x118 BB in that SS build with those LX cranks, gives a perfect chainline with the Gusset SS spacer kit set up with the cog in the most outboard possition while having close clearance between a 32T chainring and the frame chainstay. I 33T would be very close, and I gave her a spare LX ES-51 68x122 BB to swap out with if using 34T and larger chainrings. That would provide an additional 1.5mm chainstay clearance.

I made the custom SS vert-dropout from a regular Cannondale RD hanger.

You can get a 33T 4-104 bolt chainring from Tru-Vativ.

Keep having fun on it J.

Cheers,

Dave
    Thanks for all the great info Dave.

I'm picking up a Kink Bikes 33T chainwheel to throw on the Azonic 454s that came with the frame (rather than getting different cranks.). Man I really need to find someone like you to help with chainline issues when I go to put this all together.

Can you recommend a chain that will work well with the Kink Chainwheel? Same chain that you used on Jen's bike or something different?

All I need to do now is find a fork for this sucker and also to get the damned crown race off the old busted Psylo that came with the frame (fork has a busted tullio dropout and is leaking oil like a sieve). Any tips for removing a stubborn crown race?

Take care,

Mark

Now Uploading

Can you recommend a chain that will work well with the Kink Chainwheel? Same chain that you used on Jen's bike or something different?
    If the Kink is 3/32 (nine-speed) teeth, then I'd use a 9-speed SRAM chain. I don't like wider SS chains, they are noisy, and when they wear and stretch, more chance of catching a tooth wrong with the slop. I'd use a SRAM PC-99 or PC-990 (same, newer style links). I use a PC-99 chain on my Redline SS with 3/32 chainring and freewheel teeth.

This is a KMZ Z-30 3/32 chain in the pictures. It's a bit loud, but some of us here apparently like to listen to our own chains.

I'll never use another Shimano chain, broke every one I ever rode on.

Cheers,

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    If the Kink is 3/32 (nine-speed) teeth, then I'd use a 9-speed SRAM chain. I don't like wider SS chains, they are noisy, and when they wear and stretch, more chance of catching a tooth wrong with the slop. I'd use a SRAM PC-99 or PC-990 (same, newer style links). I use a PC-99 chain on my Redline SS with 3/32 chainring and freewheel teeth.

This is a KMZ Z-30 3/32 chain in the pictures. It's a bit loud, but some of us here apparently like to listen to our own chains.

I'll never use another Shimano chain, broke every one I ever rode on.

Cheers,

Dave
    I've emailed the seller of the Kink Chainwheel to find out what chain size he used. He was running it on an On One Gimp. Are you referring to KMC chains or is KMZ a different company?

Thanks again for all the information.

I'm a fan of SRAM chains over Shimanos as well.

Say any tips for getting a stubborn crown race off a fork? In this case it is the FSA headset race (that came with the Chase) on an old beat up RS Psylo. I've tried the hammer and screwdriver technique and it is getting me nowhere fast.

Hairshirt Rider

When do we get to see pics of your new SS, Paul?
    What edemtbs said. An awsome ride in so many ways.

I'll got to get around to posting my bike one of these days, but edemtbs got a shot of my bike in his post in the Victor thread. It is the shiny blue one.

Reviewer/Tester
    I got a new SS. SShe is brilliant. Photo of maiden voyage attached.

Sso I ride. It's hard. I mean, brilliantly hard. I've not felt this freaking fabulouss in monthss and monthss.

Sso. I get her. I ride her one night, and it's truly a giglefesst of raw fear and flat out HEART rate chaoss. God. How perfect. I had no idea.

Sso I ride her the next day. Long ride. A ride I do regularly on the gearie, just wanting to compare. I almost bailed. I turned around at mile 30, and thought, I've done enough. I wait 10 secondss, recover (AGAIN)... and I turn yet BACK around, and finissh the climb, finissh the day, finissh what I sstarted and didn't think I could possibly do. Not one more crank or pussh or hearbeat. Oh, but i SSO did it.

And, I can hardly run up the sstairs the next morning w/ out lactic fatigue sspilling into my quadss and my whole body. And what do I do?

I go out for more. Day three. I love the ssound of my chain, and I love sseeing this beautiful creature hauling my ass through the woodss, working me deeper than I've ever known.

I can't get enough. I'm obsessed. She's got me under her sspell and I am just totally and completely whipped.

I can't stop talking about her. And I cant sstop of thinking what I'm going to ride next. Am I actually REQUIRED to go into work tomorrow? Or can I just play ADDICT and go out again. Go get ssum more....?

Freaking Junkie.

J

I loved your post. That's full-on raw SS passion, and I know EXACTLY what you are raving about..

It's really addictive, isn't it..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

jeny jo

at this point i'm experiencing 'addictive' as an understatement.

enjoying the ... captivation.

totally consumed.

nailed.

J

Now Uploading
    at this point i'm experiencing 'addictive' as an understatement.

enjoying the ... captivation.

totally consumed.

nailed.

J
    Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

Now Uploading
    Are you referring to KMC chains or is KMZ a different company?
    Same. I don't know why some links say KMZ on them.

Say any tips for getting a stubborn crown race off a fork? In this case it is the FSA headset race (that came with the Chase) on an old beat up RS Psylo. I've tried the hammer and screwdriver technique and it is getting me nowhere fast.
    Park Tools Race Puller. Screw drivers will bend an FSA race. Been there, done that. They are not virtually bulletproof like a King race. And spray some lube on it first and let it soak in a few minutes. Remember to grease the area of the steerer before you knock the new race on.

Cheers,

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0