what would you do? (misfit dissent sizing ques)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

what would you do? (misfit dissent sizing ques)

So I'm considering picking up a diSSent AL frame for my next build project and am having some trouble coming to terms with what size to get. I could go either with a medium or large based on geometry and it would work...I'm just looking for advice on what YOU would do.

I'm 5'11" with an inseam of 32". Standover on the medium is 28 - 30" depending on which part of the frame a person looks at, the large is 29 - 31". More importantly in my mind is the effective top tube...medium runs 589mm large is at 613mm. Now I generally set my bikes up to have about 690mm of overall reach. So that would mean running a 100mm stem on the medium, or an 80mm stem on the large.

For comparison purposes, my other bikes are sized as follows:
    Roadie: Specialized 56 cm frame
    26er Mtn: Scott Scale size large
    26er SS: Scott 19"

Seeing as this will be my first 29er, I'm just wondering if I need to take anything else into consideration that I normally have not. Based on this info, which route would YOU go?

Dead Legs
    My medium runs shorter Horiz TT compared to my 26er (which had 585mm), mostly because of the head angle kicks the stem back farther..(I think), or maybe because of seat tube angle...if that makes sense to you.

I opted for a 10mm shorter stem, but didn't need to as they would have measured out the same.

I am much shorter than you,(5'7") and am on a medium, but I set it up like my race bikes.. and now it is the race bike!

Call Peter and ask him, he won't steer you wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the reply Sherwin...I'm thinking the large would be better. I'll have to give them a call and see what they think.

mtbr member
    I am 5'6" and ride a Medium with a 100mm stem and straight handlebar. It is a singlespeed and, in general, a longer reach makes sense when you are out of the saddle so much.

I think you should go for the Large.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Off the back...
    I'm 5'11" and on a medium. I have a 33.5" inseam, so the leg length gets subtracted from the reach. I have more standover than I know what to do with, have a zero-setback post, and a 100mm stem with a 10-degree sweep flat bar feels great for the riding I do [up and down, no flat]. My road bikes are 54cm for comparison. I was borderline between a medium and a large, but for my slightly shorter torso, I'm glad I got the medium. You sound like you could use a large.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and ride a large. I have based my latest build with this frame size and geo as it fits perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    large it is....thanks for all the replies. too bad i don't ride a small or xlarge so i could get the closeout frame for $275!

Members who have read this thread: 0