What would you do differently?- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

What would you do differently?

Well, now that I know a little more about SS and continue to learn a little more about frame design for them I think there are a few things I would do differently.

1. I would have found a frame that had shorter chain stays. This would make it handle a little quicker but more importantly to me, would allow me to manual a little easier.

2. Frame would be made of a nicer/lighter material-Titanium would be my first choice then would be a nicer steel. Perhaps 853 or 953 Renolds. Chromoly is not bad but it is heavier than other materials. Now that I have gotten my bike down to a decent weight, the only thing really holding me back from just a flat out, fledged weight weenie bike is the frame. It rides nice though so that does account for quite a bit in my book.

3. Different rear dropouts-I don't mind mine but they are the hooded style. I actually love the look of them but they area is very small. So small that the actual wheel fastener bolts barely fit. This prohibits just about every style of chain tensioner from fitting properly. The bike "includes" the traditional tensioner screws. I quoted that because mine did not. In fact, none of the actual bikes on the sales floors at 3 different Performance shops had them. GT has since given me the run around as has Performance.

3a. I ordered a set of Vassago tensioners as the trhead size is correct, but there are problems with these. Not Vassago's fault mind you, they are actually a fantastic little part/screw. But the screws are pretty long, therefore getting them into the frame is quite a PITA! One of them bent once I started tightening it up but that was due to the screw head making contact with the frame. The other issue is that I am running an Eno hub. The placement of the screw in the frame just happens to land the screw hitting on only half of it on the inner bolt (part that makes contact with the inside of the drop out) and air space. If I try to snug it down to adjust the wheel tension, it slipps off the edge and bends teh screw the tighter you adjust it. Basically rendering it useless. Add to that, once it is bent it will be quite a pain to get it back out of the frame and will require cutting the screw in half. Basically, this design is useless on this frame!

4. Knowing that I would end up spending this much frickn money upgrading stuff, (which I should have known was going to be the case to begin with simply based on all other bikes that I have owned) I should have just had something custom made from the get go or done a better quality frame like an On One, Vassago, or Surly. Basically, I have over $2k in this thing now and wish I had more money to dump so I could simply get a nicer frame! I should have just started buying the parts I wanted and found a nice used frame or just had one made. But I needed something to get me back on a bike so dropping the $474 for the new GT Peace complete was a viable solution at the time.

5. Should have just done a 29'r off the bat. Had I known that I was going to end up rigid I would have done this. Also, had I known I was going to go rigid, I should have just had my wheels built on a 650b platform instead of another set of 26rs. I will probably make that conversion over this winter though. Just feel like it was wasted money though.

6. More than anything, I should have jumped into the SS game a long time ago!
    Last edited by 1SPD; 07-01-2010 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    That was quite a bit of belly aching.

Low Rep Count
    Its one of those days I guess. The good news is that the weather is beautiful out and I will be meeting up for a large group ride tonight!

mtbr member
    mmmmmmmmm... wunderbar

mtbr member
    Chainstay length alone does not generate quick handling. BB height, seat tube and head tube angles all have an effect as does the numbers on the fork...

If I had it all to do over I would tinker and think less and ride more.
    BBI certified, 12+ years as mechanic

Low Rep Count
    I understand that by changing one you need to change the other. The bottom line is that I would like a shorter rear end. The front end gemometry of the bike is pretty nice and I am happy with the steering angle and even the seat tube agle at the moment. You can however, still shorten the chain and seat stays without changing the front end.

I will agree whole heartedly with you as far as thinking/tinkering less and just riding!

The idea of my post was not so much for me to complain about my set up. It was moreso to see if others have done things in the past with their set ups that perhaps they would have handled differently knowing what they know now if you will.

Apr 2007
    I started with a cheapo 29er SS to see if I'll like it. Kept myself from upgrading it and just put the funds towards a new bike. Found what I wanted/not wanted from riding that bike for 3 seasons. This season, built up a bike I think I'll like (only 2 rides so far).

But no regrets. You really shouldn't have any, either. Now you have some experience with building, trying out a 26" SS, rigid, etc. Just take it all as a learning experience. Now, you have an excuse to build up a 29er SS and have both in the stable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Shorter chainstays and lighter weight are two requirements for my next ss frame.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you on now having more experience. That part of it is a good thing for sure. I may just convert to 650b this winter and then when I do my next frame, have it built around that platform. 29 just feels a little big but I never really got to go for a real ride on one either. But having met alot more people now, I am sure I can score a ride off a friends if I really want to when the time comes.

Out spokin'
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Differently in our SS mtb decisions? Nothing really. My monocog flight 29er was some of the best money I ever spent. I love the geo and overall feel of the bike. Very glad I bought it over the base Monocog because I probably would of ended up wanted to upgrade more on that bike. I haven't really upgraded anything on it besides bars and a cogs. Replaced brake pads and star nut. Nice to have a bike that doesn't really need much to ride well. I've considered making some drastic changes to the build, but it's solid as it is.

What would I do differently in riding SS? Not obsess so much over perfect gear ratios. There isn't one!

Low Rep Count
    Oh, new one! I should have just went with hydro brakes instead of the bb7's! Sorry frustrating evening on the group ride. Between getting a flat in the first 10 minutes of the ride and then dicking with my brakes for at least the next 4 miles was just ridiculous. If any of you guys are on here that were on the ride, thanks for being patient with all my drama tonight! In the end it was a good ride!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    hydraulic brakes can be just as temperamental (if not more) as mechanicals.

SSlow rider
    My only regret is getting a bigger freewheel instead of manning it up and getting stronger.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    ill be able to take the frame a original fork off your hands if you are willing to part with it
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Think less, ride more. What's the point of having an SS in the first place? Taking the pain out of my ss is the same as taking a fun out of it. Don't go back to geared mentality...

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Oh, new one! I should have just went with hydro brakes instead of the bb7's! Sorry frustrating evening on the group ride. Between getting a flat in the first 10 minutes of the ride and then dicking with my brakes for at least the next 4 miles was just ridiculous. If any of you guys are on here that were on the ride, thanks for being patient with all my drama tonight! In the end it was a good ride!
    Really? My BB7's are SUPER easy to adjust/maintain. Even more so than V-brakes. And think---if something went wrong with hydraulics, you'd be heading back home. On field fixes is one of the reasons I went with BB7's.

Single Speed Nation
    Hmm, that's funny. I'm in the position you were when you started upgrading your Peace.

I bought a Peace at the beginning of spring. My bike has the EBB, however, so vertical dropouts are the order of the day here!

The first thing to go will be seatpost, upgraded to a lighter, stronger unit. Then will come the wheelsets with a nice, quick engagement hub (the stock hub on that bike is terrible. So much play!) After that come brakes. The stock tektros are NOT my idea of a good brake. Especially after I've been 'spoiled' for the last 7 years by my '03 XT's. And that would be about it as far as upgrading the Peace goes.

You're right though, the frame is very heavy. My Peace, with 26" wheels, weighs as much (if not more) than all the other full bling, 4-5" travel full suss bikes that my buddies have.

Well, I guess the bike wasn't that expensive. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Other than that, I'm happy with the Peace. It handles well, accelerates like a fighter jet, and has sufficient bump compliance (aided by fat tires run at insanely low pressures) to make me not regret switching to rigid. It can also handle all the trails that I used to do on my big bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0