What would YOU buy...- Mtbr.com
    FixMeUp!

What would YOU buy...

So, fellow singlespeeders, here is my story...

I have been riding a medium Santa Cruz Chameleon SS for about 3 years. I really like the ride, but it has always been a little large for me. Since it came cheap and was my mud beater, I didn't care. The other issue I have is the lack of a rear disc brake tab... now that my friends have labeled it "The Mullet", I have to get rid of it.

So, now I want to buy a new steel SS specific frame, and I don't wan't to spend more than $500. It's gotta be fast and fun, for XC style riding, and very stable at high speeds, some jumping too. So what would you buy?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down.Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been eaten. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten". Cree Indian saying

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

1x1

I would get the surly 1x1. I have one, the ride is real nice, the frame seems pretty durable, plus you have the option to run real wide tyres. If you watch real careful like, you could probably pick up an entire used bike for less than the 500 clams,

FixMeUp!

Thanks....

Next Question...

Is it at all a pain to set up a rear disc with horizontal dropouts?
    I slippage a factor?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down.Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been eaten. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten". Cree Indian saying

Rusting Steel

I second the 1x1

I've not had any issues with my 1x1 running discs. I run 34x18 most of the time and have the brake setup so that I don't have to mess with it to remove the wheel. The further the axel is forward into the drop though, the more likely it is you'll have to loosen the caliper to get the wheel on and off. YMMV

I've also not had any slippage issues running CK hubs and bolts.

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by TamJunkie
    Is it at all a pain to set up a rear disc with horizontal dropouts?
    I slippage a factor?
    There are a few options out there.
    - get a bike with an EBB bottom bracket. This lets you rotate the bottom bracket around to adjust chain length. Good option, but requires a bike that was made for this.
    - get the adaptors so that you can slide the brake caliper forward and backward. Means that just about every time you adjust your wheel, you have to adjust the caliper. Looks clugey to me.
    - I've recently seen a mount for disks where the whole mount slides forward or backward in the dropouts, so the disk callipers are always in the right place. Pretty slick, but I don't know off the top of my head who makes it or what frames use it.
    - Run some sort of chain tensioner with a vertical dropout. Works, but I like the way SS's look without chain tensioners.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I really like the Zion from JensonUSA... clearance is not as good as on the 1x1, but the price is right

the EBB is easy to setup and no issues with the rear disc....

FixMeUp!

Man that price is good..

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I really like the Zion from JensonUSA... clearance is not as good as on the 1x1, but the price is right

the EBB is easy to setup and no issues with the rear disc....
    I will admit that price is good, very inexpensive. But WHY? Seriously, is this frame gonna break? I've seen my bro go through three bianchi frames, and they were cheap too. What tubing is it ?

From what I understand, the Surly is a hard one to break.

What about SOMA frames?

BTW, I am going to run my '04 TALAS (85mm-105mm)

PS - Thank you everynone for the advice, keep it coming!

I will admit that price is good, very inexpensive. But WHY? Seriously, is this frame gonna break? I've seen my bro go through three bianchi frames, and they were cheap too. What tubing is it ?

From what I understand, the Surly is a hard one to break.

What about SOMA frames?

BTW, I am going to run my '04 TALAS (85mm-105mm)

PS - Thank you everynone for the advice, keep it coming!
    I have thier previous model the 853EBB (reynolds 853)... about a year and a half of riding it and no issues under my 220 lbs weight....

the 660 is 4130 steel if my memory doesn't fail me... it should be just as good as mine.. I expect.. there have been very postitive reviews on both around here...

I run a Revelation on mine... no problem!

Some's look good..but I have no expereince with them...

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed.org
    There are a few options out there.

- I've recently seen a mount for disks where the whole mount slides forward or backward in the dropouts, so the disk callipers are always in the right place. Pretty slick, but I don't know off the top of my head who makes it or what frames use it.
    if the dropouts and mount move together it was probably a sliding dropout that integrates the brake mount (like below) or the White Industries ENO disc mount for use with the ENO disc hub (sorry couln't find a pic now..)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I'd buy

a Kona Explosif, has sliding dropouts.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I think the Surly 1x1 frame and fork is a great choice.
    I just bought a Salsa Cro-Moto fork and the welds and finish on it are beautiful. It rides real nice too.
    Salsa and Surly are owned by the same people, so I suspect the quality on a 1x1 will be similar.
    A friend has a Pugsley, and the quality of that is top notch too.

FixMeUp!

You guys are great...

great advice....

If you cant break the zion at 225 lbs, then at 150, I am not afraid...
    Very tempting, considering I could buy a real nice rear wheel with the extra dough.

So far...

I like the Zion because of the price...
    I like the Surly because I know it's bombproof...
    I like the SOMA because it's a local company...

Anyone want to buy a used Chameleon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Dude... let's talk

So, fellow singlespeeders, here is my story...

I have been riding a medium Santa Cruz Chameleon SS for about 3 years. I really like the ride, but it has always been a little large for me. Since it came cheap and was my mud beater, I didn't care. The other issue I have is the lack of a rear disc brake tab... now that my friends have labeled it "The Mullet", I have to get rid of it.

So, now I want to buy a new steel SS specific frame, and I don't wan't to spend more than $500. It's gotta be fast and fun, for XC style riding, and very stable at high speeds, some jumping too. So what would you buy?
    Tell me you ride a 17" frame. I know where there's a 17" white, 1x1 frame/fork available w/tug nut tensioners.

FixMeUp!

17" too small?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbker1224
    Tell me you ride a 17" frame. I know where there's a 17" white, 1x1 frame/fork available w/tug nut tensioners.
    I think I want an 18" frame.... They make one right?

But I would like to buy the frame new.
    Maybe used if it was local (SF bay area)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Redline Monocog all the way!!!!!

I have been thrashing a redline monocog for around a year now and it has been an awesome bike. It even comes with a rigid fork for $160!!!!! So I unloaded the fork on ebay for $40 and had the frame for $120. A damn good deal if you ask me.

Here is where I bought mine from

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15723-175_REDMC7-0-Search--/Redline-Monocog-Frame-w_-Fork-'07.htm

BTW i am 225lbs so durability is nothing to worry about!!!
    Last edited by dkelley383; 02-26-2007 at 05:20 PM.

29er Geek
    Three bianchi frames? Goodness...

The disc mounts like these (on my Bianchi...I'm 215 LOL...) are no problem with wheel removal...In fact I don't even need to touch them...I know on some bikes you do have to loosen the bolts a tad. It's no big deal as you're not affecting the side to side orientation of the caliper...

unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

1x1

Go for a Surly 1x1. There are quick durable and you can fit some thick tires in between those stays.

Harrumph
    Another vote for the Kona's, sliding drops nice with discs. The new ones have tuggs built into the dropouts eliminating any slippage. I personally really like Kona's geometry. The Explosif can be had for less than your budget and in 26 ir 29er flavors in a nice light steel frame.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

SuperInstigator
    What would I buy? I already bought a Sette Reken from Pricepoint. So what if it ain't ss specific. Deralleurs are fun to see how beat up you can get em and still be workin.

Okay, I like the Mountain Cycle Rumble. It isn't a XC bike, but if I was looking for an XC SS specific, then I would buy it. Anyway, it's good for jumping, and can't be that bad for XC, or maybe it can???

Oops, it is cheaper here...
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdispl...asp?Search=Yes

Can't beat a 4.9/5 on mtbr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by tibug; 02-26-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

bicycle rider
    How about a smaller Chameleon, with rear disc tab?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/282089826.html

And it benefits the Norcal HS mtn bike league.

I have a 2005 Chameleon that also feels a bit big for me (XL frame) but I love it. I run it SS with rear discs and no problems getting the wheel in or out, never have to mess with the rear caliper.

If I didn't have the Chameleon, I'd have a Bianchi **SS.

Morgan

FixMeUp!

Hey MorganFletcher...

Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    How about a smaller Chameleon, with rear disc tab?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/282089826.html

And it benefits the Norcal HS mtn bike league.

Morgan
    Is that you selling the small chameleon?
    Ever come to Fairfax to ride on weekends?
    I think I want to buy one of those frames.
    I also have a garage full of stuff, some of which I would
    donate if you wanted it... Including the medium Chameleon..
    Whatcha think?

There are things I really like about the Chameleon...
    Excellent climbing machine, stiffer than ....
    Very Stable at High Speeds, good in the slalom...

but it does have kinda funky geometry, not so great on the switchbacks
    but rideable...

Does anyone care to comment on how the chameleon rides?

bicycle rider
    Is that you selling the small chameleon?
    No, not me.

Ever come to Fairfax to ride on weekends?
    No, but I grew up over there. I miss riding in Marin, but I'm a dad and live in Oakland and so weekend rides are usually close to home. I do have a Tamarancho family pass tho.

I think I want to buy one of those frames.
    I also have a garage full of stuff, some of which I would
    donate if you wanted it... Including the medium Chameleon..
    Whatcha think?
    I bet they could use it!

There are things I really like about the Chameleon...
    Excellent climbing machine, stiffer than ....
    Very Stable at High Speeds, good in the slalom...

but it does have kinda funky geometry, not so great on the switchbacks
    but rideable...

Does anyone care to comment on how the chameleon rides?
    You have got it. Mine feels big and large, wheelbase is long and front end is high. I have a 100-130mm Revelation fork on it, and at 130mm it's way too moto for me, I'm not a hucker but when I do get it in the air it feels like an airplane. It's stiff, stout, feels solid. It just rolls over stuff. I tell people it feels like I'm riding a horse. I am tempted to try a L but I'd have a mile of seatpost sticking out if I did. If I see a good "smaller" XL frame go by I might switch to something else. The funny thing is that most people build these light, nimble singlespeeds and the Chameleon is sort of the antithesis of that; big, solid, moto.

I just got my wife a used Salsa Juan Solo and that looks like a really nice bike, would probably satisfy your requirements. It's a light frame! I don't know if a new one would fit in your budget, but we got a used bike with Fox F100RLT fork and discs and decent wheels for $800.

I do a Thursday night ride over here, in the Oakland Hills, if you ever feel like joining us. I also do Saturday SS rides sometimes, mornings or afternoons depending on my wife's schedule. I'd be happy to show you around. I'm tempted to use up some extra family time and do another Marin ride sometime soon. I was there for the Turkey Day Appetite Seminar. (Check out the panoramas.)

Morgan

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by dkelley383
    I have been thrashing a redline monocog for around a year now and it has been an awesome bike. It even comes with a rigid fork for $160!!!!! So I unloaded the fork on ebay for $40 and had the frame for $120. A damn good deal if you ask me.

Here is where I bought mine from

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15723-175_REDMC7-0-Search--/Redline-Monocog-Frame-w_-Fork-'07.htm

BTW i am 225lbs so durability is nothing to worry about!!!
    I'd be all over that Redline, BUT it looks like price point doesn't ship frames to Canada.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Maybe wait for the new On-One SS frames to come out. I don't know what the price will be, but I'm sure it'll be competitive with the Surly.

FixMeUp!

Got my 1x1...

Oh joy.
    Brand new shiny frame,
    using my old 04 FOX Talas, Thompson Seatpost, CKing Headset

...Picked up a cheap but new rear wheel (novatec cassette/SunRyhno RIm)

I just don't know what to do about the cranks...

Do I use my old Specialized SWorks Taper BB cranks? This is the cheap option because I would only have to buy a new BB.

or Do I buy new cranks?

It seems this bike is worthy of some fresh cranks but I don't know what to buy...

I think I want outboard bearings?
    Those new Surly cranks are looking sweet...

What would you do?

None Of This Is Real

SS specific?

I just don't know what to do about the cranks...
    If I were you I'd but some Shimano Hones, drop the outer rings, and run the middle. If your budget allows, just buy a singlespeed specific ring to replace the middle. The Hones are outboard bearing, 68/73 mm, and damn strong. I wish they had a better decal though...

FixMeUp!

Like them Hones...

Especially cuz it's black. LIke the frame.

No, I don't think I want SS specific.

I was thinking XT, originally, but they are fairly pricey.
    LX was a better price, but they are silver and I am not sure I want anything
    that says LX on my SURLY.
    The Hone seems like the best VALUE, for sure.

How are they different from LX? besides being much cooler looking and, black.

Many Thanks...

None Of This Is Real
    How are they different from LX? besides being much cooler looking and, black.
    Many Thanks...
    Hmmm, I always thought Hones were heavier, but in fact they're only 1 gram heavier, and even to the extreme weight weenie, that's a negligible amount. They are definitely more AM oriented than LX's are, but I really don't see the LX's structural advantages, or the Hone's for that matter, if any. Oh, and you could buy the Hone double cranks with bashguard and drop just the inner ring.

The Hone cranks triple are on Jenson, but they are backordered, and seeing how I ordered the Hones January 5 and they're supposed to ship tomorrow (March 14) after 2 months, that may not be the best choice if you're on a time budget. They're the cheapest at Jenson, though, from what I found...

Shimano Hone Crankset Triple

Here are the Saint's. Just a little more $ for a more aggressive AM/FR/DH? crank, although for the chameleon, they might be overkill. But since they come with bashguard, they may actually end up costing you less than the Hones...

Shimano Saint Double w/bashguard

For the bashguard, maybe a raceface?...Or really whatever you prefer...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Bashring.aspx

Good Luck and Congrats on the new bike, a Chameleon to boot! Yea, I'm jealous...

Members who have read this thread: 0