What would be the best choice? SS vs. Geared- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

What would be the best choice? SS vs. Geared

Okay so I have read the SS FAQ and understand it is a personal preference, but also based on the area you will be riding in. I have up to around $600 to spend on a bike and would possibly prefer a SS for the simplicity and challenge possibly, but I live in south florida and would only be going to Markham park.
    Video - MTB Florida | Markham Park (2011) - YouTube
    But my real question is would this 2012 Monocog Flight 29er here (comes with a few upgrades shown in the description)
    2012 REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29er 17" medium... mint condition! UPGRADES | eBay

Be a better choice than the new 2013 Monocog 29er?
    REDLINE BICYCLES MTB 2013 MONOCOG 29ER

I am not very experienced with riding mountain bikes, but I have ridden alot in the past in areas like Lake Tahoe and other parts of Nevada/California.

So is SS really for me?
    Thanks!

meh... whatever
    i'd say buy the used one and RIDE. it's in great shape and has some nice goodies. plus, if you don't like it and want to sell you'll be out very little coin whereas if you like it and keep riding it you got a great bike cheap.

imho the used one is clearly a win/win no matter how it works out.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    i'd say buy the used one and RIDE. it's in great shape and has some nice goodies. plus, if you don't like it and want to sell you'll be out very little coin whereas if you like it and keep riding it you got a great bike cheap.

imho the used one is clearly a win/win no matter how it works out.
    Yeah, I figured as much. I did the math and he says most of the added on things are brand new. The Saddle is $60, The wheels are $70~, The pedals are $50~, The headset is $100+, The riser bar is $60~ and the brake rotors are like $50. It seems like a great deal and is in great shape. But is there much of a problem, since the fork has no suspension, with bad vibration and irritation in the hands and arms? That is probably my only concern :/

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbman View Post
    But is there much of a problem, since the fork has no suspension, with bad vibration and irritation in the hands and arms? That is probably my only concern :/
    i don't think so and i've ridden rigid for years all over the u.s. and in asia. run tubeless with low pressure and you'll be fine.

thing is though, you're saving so much coin that even if you hate riding rigid and bought the really nice used fork of your choice you'd still come out on top.

i say pull the trigger and enjoy!

destructionismyobjective
    rigid climbs like a beast... however if you have rough decents it isnt the fastest going down. You will learn how to be light on the bike and choose your lines wisely. I started riding rigid ss a few months back because it made all the local trails fun again... If your riding rough terrain it will wear you out faster than a suspended bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    i don't think so and i've ridden rigid for years all over the u.s. and in asia. run tubeless with low pressure and you'll be fine.

thing is though, you're saving so much coin that even if you hate riding rigid and bought the really nice used fork of your choice you'd still come out on top.

i say pull the trigger and enjoy!
    Okay sounds great I think I am going to go for it. Trying to sell my road bike that I don't use much and just switch to this as my cruiser and weekend bike at the trails
    Also would you say $660 is a fair price or $600 even?

mtbr member
    read through some of the many threads in these forums about rigid forks. a lot of people use them for a variety of reasons. among those is price- a decent after-market suspension fork will easily cost as much as an entire entry-level bike. and you have to maintain it over time, which can be pretty expensive as well. ride a rigid fork for as long as you can stand it and then save up for a suspension fork. I finally broke down and bought one for my bike and I have only ridden with it once, then put my rigid fork back on. maybe as the trails get a bit wetter and covered in leaves, I will put the squish fork back on for a while.

meh... whatever
    Okay sounds great I think I am going to go for it. Trying to sell my road bike that I don't use much and just switch to this as my cruiser and weekend bike at the trails
    Also would you say $660 is a fair price or $600 even?
    keep in mind it's a flight (msrp $1000) rather than simply a monocog (msrp $650), so the B.I.N. and shipping is fair for it and there may be other people eyeballing it too. however, it won't hurt to shoot him an offer of $660 and from a buyer's standpoint $600 would be even better! shoot an offer of $650 and see what happens. worst he can do is say no.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    He said he would take $660 and $80 shipped, but said to my area it's only $40. I'm gona shoot him a message now.

meh... whatever
    He said he would take $660 and $80 shipped, but said to my area it's only $40. I'm gona shoot him a message now.
    get on it like white on rice!

Buy that bike. Buy it now. Rigid rules. So says me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am going to get that bike. I need the money though. I messaged the seller. Hoping he can hold it for me for like a few days

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    And it just sold. I hate not having money when it is needed most... I just wish the guy would have held it for me for one more day and it would be mine Now I don't know what bike to get... Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Get the SS and go with whatever is easiest to afford. $600 is not enough to be picky. Nice thing is SS is cheaper in the short and long run compared to gears. Ps Florida is so flat there is no reason to have gears. Even here in breck co a lot of us ride SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    Get the SS and go with whatever is easiest to afford. $600 is not enough to be picky. Nice thing is SS is cheaper in the short and long run compared to gears. Ps Florida is so flat there is no reason to have gears. Even here in breck co a lot of us ride SS
    Would you say just go with a new monocog 29er or check out the cannondale sl3 trail that I posted?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here is the link to the cannondale
    Cannondale SL3 29er | eBay

mtbr member
    Here is the link to the cannondale
    Cannondale SL3 29er | eBay
    You can't go wrong here. I'd shoot for the Cannondale first. Good price and it looks like BB-7's for brakes. I love mine just as much as the hydraulics on my other bike.
    Either way you're gonna love it. In the area of Colorado I'm in there are a lot of rigid riders as well. I second low pressure in the front tire and ergo grips. Send trail/bike photos when you get it!

Spandex Ninja
    Markham is perfect for SS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I can't afford the cannondale, he wants $800 for it plus $100 shipping. I'm going for the airborne Guardian. Maybe later I'll try SS Rigid, but for now I'll go with the Guardian. Thanks for the help everyone!

Members who have read this thread: 0