What works, what doesn't? OT?- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

New question here. What works, what doesn't? OT?

Stole this from the Retro Forum; they spent a lot of time talking about Camel Paks for some reason . Anyway, my favorite "bad" was "suspension" becaused it spawned freeride, downhill and turned the world against us. Closer to the SS world I would say tensioners. They don't work as well as the derailleurs they are meant to replace and really don't look any better. What works? Well EBB's for sure and it would seem the ENO eccentric hub. I've never tried one (ENO), but ernesto has dedicated his life to it so it must be something good .

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 02-10-2005 at 05:08 PM.

semi-evolved simian
    Surly Jethro Thule - classic multi-tasker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Closer to the SS world I would say tensioners. They don't work as well as the derailleurs they are meant to replace and really don't look any better. What works? It would seem to be the ENO eccentric hub. I've never tried one but ernesto has dedicated his life to it so there must be something to it .

1G1G, Brad
    That is a very interesting question, but like most it is going to be messy... I would imagine that you will get the same range of answers as we so often see here in these forums.

For example, tensioners... I have had great experiences with a few different models. I think these models work every bit as good as a rear mech and look better (i.e. more svelte). This is already in stark contrast to what you are saying.

Likewise, ENO hubs... I have one. Unlike Ernesto (bless his heart), I don't think they work quite as well as a good horizontal drop-out or an eccentric BB (many may disagree with even this opinion). Dependent on the drop-outs of a given frame, they can slip due to lack of grip, etc. etc. However, a lot of people think they work just fine. In fact, I wouldn't get rid of mine because it allows me to ride my Bonti fixed. I accept the compromise.

Maybe that is the key to a lot of these questions... use the knowledge where present and then weigh out whether the 'potential' compromise is worthwhile for you. So many things work well for some and sh!t for others.

Maybe the important question is: "How do you all decide what is good and what is bad when there are seemingly identical people saying contrasting things?"

(ff)

"Mr. Britannica"
    (ahem, bulC voice) Suspension? Hell, nobody needs suspension, unless you are a pansy nancy boy. Tensioner? You don't need no stinkin' tensioner. All you need is an old lugged steel frame with horizontal dropouts. Use a steel-faced QR and it will never slip. Wake up sheepeople!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    (ahem, bulC voice) Suspension? Hell, nobody needs suspension, unless you are a pansy nancy boy. Tensioner? You don't need no stinkin' tensioner. All you need is an old lugged steel frame with horizontal dropouts. Use a steel-faced QR and it will never slip. Wake up sheepeople!
    Damn.. and here I thought Club was gone....

(ff)

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

My kid swiped my Jethro Tule...

And lost it in the couch cushions.
    That was when I learned how bass-ass these are - stubby combination wrenches:

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Surly Jethro Thule - classic multi-tasker.
    keep moving