What wheel set would you upgrade your 29r with ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What wheel set would you upgrade your 29r with ?

I think the two major upgrades I am going to do to my nashbar 29r this winter are 1. Bars and 2. Wheels.

So what wheels would you upgrade with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm drooling over I9's. Although, I just can't afford them right now.

Ahhh the pain....
    Stans arches w hope pro IIs. Or flows depending on your weight and terrain you ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Should have been a lil more specific.

I ride light trail and road. And I weigh in around 190…….

Oh and yep it’s a Nashbar so Im not trying to spend double on wheels then what I paid for the bike…

Ahhh the pain....
    How much are you looking to spend ? Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has some sets < $300. Hope pro IIs with Stans rims will cost you more like $500. You could always surf ebay for some deals as well. Always plenty of people upgrading like you are and selling what came on their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    looking to stay in the 300 range, I know Ive looked at BWW and I can find some good deals the big issue is Im not sure whats a goot hub.

Expert Crasher
    I-9s laced to ENVE carbon hoops - light, stiff and color!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're riding a singlespeed mountain bike on the road and hardly riding any trails, I think your priorities are a little skewed. You should look into getting a road bike for the road and use your singlespeed 29er as-is for the trails. Upgrading handlebars is a waste of money unless you're doing it to get a better fit on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not going to get a road bike, I like the versatility of being able to cut on and off the road like I do around town. One min Im on the street next down a gravel path then over a grass hill and across a clearing. The trails I ride are dirt not paved so again a road bike is not for me. Im upgrading handle bars for the fit, but the wheels I am upgrading for function. Looking to get a better wheel then the no name set that came with the Nashbar.

And I love no matter what the topic is somebody always has to question what you’re doing.

NedwannaB

Wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBob
    And I love no matter what the topic is somebody always has to question what you’re doing.
    Isn't that the attention we're all really looking for?

Good luck in your wheel search. Better tires (lighter/less rolling resis) alone can make a huge difference with minimal investment over a wheelset depending on what you're trying to acheive.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I love how people come to forums, post a general question like "what wheels should I buy?" with absolutely no details about what they are looking for, price range, usage, etc., etc. When a person does this, they sound like they have no idea what they need. Then, when other people offer their opinion/recommendation on what should be done, they get irritated. I love that

There are so many different wheel build options out there which can be tailored specifically to your usage. My suggestion is to actually seek out a seasoned wheel builder and have said wheel builder recommend and build you a wheelset. Asking a singlespeed MTB forum what wheels to put on your singlespeed frankenhybrid is kinda silly.

But to humor you, if I were in your exact situation, this would be my build:
    DT Swiss 240 bolt on, centerlock, singlespeed rear hub
    DT Swiss centerlock front hub.
    Stans Arch rims
    Sapim Race spokes

With this build, you'll have reasonably light weight, rims that can easily be converted to tubeless, and the wheels will be very strong. Sure, they're probably more than you want to spend, but you'll keep them for when you upgrade your bike. When it comes to wheel upgrades, my opinion is to go big or go home because it's pretty much the only place that you'll really notice a difference. Get yourself a tire with low rolling resistance and you'll be unstoppable on the bike path... until you run out of gearing at approximately 12.5 mph.

Low Rep Count
    Ditch the 29er and get a cyclocross set up! Much faster, gear options, more efficient...oh, more money as well. Sorry, that was just based on the riding you stated that you are doing.

Me personally, I say ditch the 29 and go with 26! They are lighter. But seriously, you have a lot of options out there. I just happen to ride a 26 so I am a little partial to that.

Some really nice suggestions have been thrown out there for you but with a price range of $300 you aren't going to touch a set of Stan's with Hope hubs! I know my wheels cost me about $650 and there really isn't anything too special about them (Velocity VXC w/ White Industry hubs). I really think that checking out some different tire options is the best option for you right now. It can shed a little bit of weight (depending on tire size and going with a lighter tube combo). The tread design can make a huge difference in rolling resistance (how fast the bike feels).

Granted I have been into bikes for quite some time. But I have always tried to stick with the idea of swapping out drive train parts first, then brakes, then rolling parts, and finally all the little stuff. Since you have an SS, no need for addressing gears at this point. But perhaps if you are looking to shave some weight, then I would say that this is a money pit and very infectious. Be careful and take your time. If you wheels are bent, then by all means, get some wheels! Between wheels and the crank you can probably shed the most weight (maybe a fork swap). Lots of options for you.

Linoleum Knife
    I think the two major upgrades I am going to do to my nashbar 29r
    Why upgrade it at all?

No matter what you do to that bike, it's still going to be a Nashbar 29er. If you're using it for commuting and such, just ride the hell out of it until something breaks or gets stolen.

Tulsa
    mtbr classifieds
    wherever you go, there you are

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    It's probably a little more than you need but ....

I picked up a set of the handspun Flow/X9 for $ 272 shipped.

holding back the darkness
    Upgrade?
    My dream wheelset: Phil Wood Kiss-Off Disc hubs (polished, of course) with bolt-on axles, burly spokes laced to Flow rims. Finish it all off with a White Industries freewheel with a trials driver conversion...
    **** censorship

Off the back...
    Not going to get a road bike, I like the versatility of being able to cut on and off the road like I do around town. One min Im on the street next down a gravel path then over a grass hill and across a clearing. The trails I ride are dirt not paved so again a road bike is not for me. Im upgrading handle bars for the fit, but the wheels I am upgrading for function. Looking to get a better wheel then the no name set that came with the Nashbar.

The tires are going to make a much bigger difference than wheels will at your price point. A set of XC racing tires like WTB Vulpine or the Continental Race King may give you the speed you need without dumping you on your ass on the corners. If you have good bike handling skills, you might want to consider a wide slick like the Schwalbe Marathon. They can easily handle straightline riding on dirt paths, and as long as your climbs aren't too steep you'll get up and over hills with relative ease.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Don't spend $300 on a wheelset they will only be a little better and you will be out $300. Spend enough to get Stans rims and either ZTR or American classic hubs. They are way lighter than Hope (I own all 3) and spin easier too. The Hope hubs are way overkill unless you are a massive strong rider that rides all mountain. The Sans rims, run tubeless are the best upgrade you can make on a MTB in my opinion. Which Stans rims to get are a decision you should make based on your needs.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    http://www.notubes.com/product_info....roducts_id/474

You can get a set of Sans 355 29er white powder coat with ZTR hubs rated up to 200 lb rider for $455. For a few more $ you can get Crest, Arch, Flow in increasing strength and weight. Even the most expensive Flow's are only $495.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I agree with the naysayers. Don't upgrade the wheels, just get some better tires. Not sure what tires you currently have, but a nice kevlar beaded tire with low rolling resistance will make your bike feel a lot faster. Dropping 200g from a tire can definitely be felt and is often easy enough to do by swapping tires. But if you have to upgrade the wheels, for only $300 you might not even notice any improvement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Look on the bay for deore/slx/xt hubs on wtb rims or a cheap but decent (and heavy) option. Even better, a set of fast light tires will make a bigger difference. Replace your wheels if they wear out or you upgrade your budget. I just bought a set of Flows laced to Hopes and they are amazing. I may upgrade bikes in the future, but any 29er SS I own will wear this wheelset.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Save $

I just made the switch from WTB Speed disc to Shimano xt 29er wheels (thanks mtbr for Competitive cyclist $299 special for $700 wheels). I must have dropped 500-600 grams and was absolutely amazed how much faster I go now. On a 1.5 hour ride I must shave off at least a minute or two. That is, if I dont stop to pee, wait for a buddy or stop and watch the sun go down. My expectations were way too high although I love the new wheels. I just put the WTB wheels on my spare parts bike to sell and they really are nice wheels that are bomb proof. The XT set is way bling for the price and I love em. We will see if they will put up with 4-5 rides a week all winter like the $150 WTB. WTB wheels are wayyyyyy under rated. 29er is all about maintaining MOMENTUM. Save $ for a sweet used whole bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the input.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have two wheelsets from Dave at Speeddream wheels and love them both. Probably wouldn't buy anything other than Stans rims going forward.

Members who have read this thread: 0