what types of hubs do you used for fixed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

what types of hubs do you used for fixed?

SS newbie long time MTBer and road fixies. I have ridden phil woods on the road and they are a dream, phil must have something strong enough for a fixed mtb, but don't want to pay that much. What do all yall fixe offroader, steel for balls use? I just picked up an on one inbred and it's time to go fixed!

trail rat
    Surly "New Hub" flip / flop fix / fw. Old legs sometimes want a break coming home downhill after long rides to the thin air above.
    Last edited by slocaus; 09-02-2006 at 11:03 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Not because I'm fast.....
    I use a Phil fixed/free MTB hub and it's great! For a fixed offroad hub on a budget, I'd go for a SURLY 135mm fixed/free hub. Inexpensive and should hold up great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Even cheaper than surly and just as nice are IRO hubs. They make a nice fixed free in 135 spacing. Had one for a couple of years untill bike got stolen. Spun very smooth even after 2 cross seasons and lots of general abuse.

Not though I use Phil. Way nicer but it took curage to spend that much on a single part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am using a set of Surly Disc Hubs with a Boone cog mounted on the disc mount. For me the price of the Surly was hard to beat, the cog won't unscrew, and I can use a rear disc when I am in freewheel mode. Although I would buy a set of Phil disc hubs if I had the money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by happygofun
    Even cheaper than surly and just as nice are IRO hubs. They make a nice fixed free in 135 spacing. Had one for a couple of years untill bike got stolen. Spun very smooth even after 2 cross seasons and lots of general abuse.

Not though I use Phil. Way nicer but it took curage to spend that much on a single part.
    The IRO hubs are rebranded formula hubs. They are also the same hubs that Velocity sells for their track wheelset with Velocity's name on them. But, as a cheaper fixed hub they hold up to a lot of punishment. The only off road fixed hubs I have used are the Surlys and they have been great. I have used a number of other fixed hubs, but only on road. Stay away from the low end Suzue hubs, they are junk.

Alles komt goed!
    Do's anyone uses a "welded freewheel shimano hub"?
    ---------------------------
    Gijs, from the mountain

I post too much.
    Wouldn't riding a fixie going pretty fast downhill be a pain in the ass(sorry, I honestly don't know anything about fixies, nor have I tried one, but I can only imagine).

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Wouldn't riding a fixie going pretty fast downhill be a pain in the ass(sorry, I honestly don't know anything about fixies, nor have I tried one, but I can only imagine).
    Imagined fears are always far worse than reality.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    I could not imagine anyone riding a bike and not wanting to coast. I decided to try it after some convincing by a bike shop employee at a local MTB ride. It helped that my 29er was already setup with a Surly flip flop hub and it had a cog/lockring installed when I bought it used. Well, long story short that bike has not seen a freewheel since and I have added 2 fixed gear road conversions, 1 track bike, and I will be buying another track bike on Tuesday!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    IRO Flip/flop on my fixie.

Members who have read this thread: 0