what type of riding do you do?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

what type of riding do you do?

Me personally, my ss sees duty on my dirt jumps, at the bmx track, urban use, xc riding, some light dh etc..... how about yours?trying to make a point to a guy I ride with and show him that single speeds are much more versatile than they appear.

Dive Bomber
    I do mostly on-road uphill and on rollers.

It's not what singlespeed can do, it's about what the rider can do. You can see the new nowadays trend from brakeless to chainsless it might seems to limit the bike function but what happens it create new possibilities.

I see singlespeed as Zen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As do I. I guess my position here is regardless of rider capability, more towards the bike's ability to do well in multiple disciplines of cycling. not just fairly tame xc like the opposing point is driving towards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    it's my one and only bike after I sold off my suspended gearies. It's the bike to accompany me, wherever I ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome..... Mine is my one and only as well. Go any where do anything.

local trails rider
    I have two singlespeed bikes: one has tires and gearing for street cruising, the other for trails.

The trails are mainly twisty and often a bit rocky and rooty. No mountains: lots of smaller ups and downs and some flat areas too.

Here's an old pic of the street bike, taken while going home from visiting my parents:

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I use my SS 29er for technical trail riding and XC racing. I don't do ALL the same downhills as I do on my FS but pretty close to everything. I feel like the big wheels really help with some of the real techy stuff.

I actually prefer riding my SS for all day or epic rides, less to worry about and greater sense of accomplishment.

If I had to pick one bike, I would definitely go with my SS!

psycho cyclo addict
    I use my SS for commuting, trail and XC riding. HT and FS bikes for racing, urban assaults and technical trails with more than a few steep/long hill climbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0